SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I have a holesaw

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-09, 11:16 AM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
There are actually a couple threads floating around that resemble this topic. I agree with you, our cars are pretty heavy. It feels even heavier if you have and SC300 because our motors are a little underpowered without the turbos. If you are really that dedicated to make your SC lose some weight I would suggest starting with the body. Replace the hood, trunk, and doors all with carbon fiber replacements and have them painted to your car's color. Next I would work on the interior. The seats are about 65lbs each. I'd look into something with leather that weighs about half that. Other than that you cant really do much to the interior since you are trying to maintain the luxury aspect of the vehicle. For the trunk I'd remove the gas tank and get a cell. Remove the spare of course. Also if your car is an auto you might want to replace it with a 5speed since the weight difference is pretty significant.
I've been through those threads. Carbon fiber will come eventually but right now Im wondering what I can do for free. Can I cut up some sheetmetal without making it a death trap? What are CHEAP ways to SAFELY remove weight without compromising LUXURY?
Old 05-13-09, 11:32 AM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jspec is right, your massive weight savings will come in the hood, doors, seats and kind of in the trunk lid.

there is no cheap way to safely remove weight. luxury cars are heavy. for good reason. do it the right way. dont try to do stuff on a budget and expect it to be great.
Old 05-13-09, 11:40 AM
QwkSC
Instructor

I wouldn't say I'm being cheap. I'm just being thorough. Carbon fiber doors are rediculously expensive, but I will be purchasing a Trunk and Hood. Perhaps vertex fenders also.
Old 05-13-09, 11:41 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drain out all the fluids... Oil, gas, windshield whipper fluids and that a lone will cut down on weight...

Looking at your list and how you want to lose some weight but not remove parts... it's hard. You can shave some weight by removing your A/C system, drive naked, lose some weight, remove EGR system, all of the panels in the trunk, scrape off any or all sound damping material on the car and removed all wiring that isn't being used. That's all I got for "free".

Money involved:
What everyone else said plus an aluminum driveshaft, lighter wheels 17-20 lbs vs 26 lbs per wheel, light weight flywheel when you do the 5 speed swap, aluminum pulleys and other things I can't think of right now.
Old 05-13-09, 07:53 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will not gain much if any gains at all with the petty weight reduction you are trying to attempt.
I swapped the heavy a$$ stock seat for Supra seat and I did not see any gains in performance, so trust me, you are wasting your time and money.
Old 05-13-09, 08:08 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Carbon Hood, Trunk, Doors, fenders, Lexan windows, Aluminum wheels, Get rid of the stock seats and replace with "racing" seats, get rid off your sound system, Carbon fiber Brellie Battery, Remove AC lines/compressor, get rid of power steering, Electric fan, Light weight Radiator, remove all interior piece's, Take a Huge ****, drive naked, work out and lose some weight.... If you Are really that concerned about weight then you might as well go all out... For every 150lbs you remove it saves .1 second on a 1/4 mile.....

So if all your getting rid of is say...the 100lbs you have listed, or the maybe 150lbs you plan on considering you are saying you want it to be "luxury" as well... theres no way in hell you will feel ANY, and i mean ANY difference...

So choose, Because you cant have both.
Old 05-13-09, 08:12 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

I think everyone missed the point: I'm talking about swiss cheesing up body parts that aren't needed or can afford to loose a little rigidity.

Where can I do it.

The other stuff will come later
Old 05-13-09, 08:21 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by QwkSC
I think everyone missed the point: I'm talking about swiss cheesing up body parts that aren't needed or can afford to loose a little rigidity.

No, i think your missing the point....

Anytime you take metal out of a "body part" you are losing rigidity, It was engineered that way for a reason, As well as crash tested. If you start cutting circles of metal out of the metal, you will be rideing in a death trap, it will ****** up your crumple zone, and all and all its just a freaking retarded idea and a waste of time.

SO if you taking about cutting metal out of your body, doors, frame, etc...it is both Foolish and unsafe... all to save MAYBE 10 lbs if you REALLY cut a a *****load out. Sorry your wasting your time, 10 lbs wont make any difference. that really is like taking a huge pee, then driving naked.

If you want a light weight car, Sell the SC and buy a Civic or something and stop trying to do a luxury car the "cheap way" and move onto something else that will respond better to shortcuts

Last edited by JDMmuscle; 05-13-09 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-13-09, 09:10 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
No, i think your missing the point....

Anytime you take metal out of a "body part" you are losing rigidity, It was engineered that way for a reason, As well as crash tested. If you start cutting circles of metal out of the metal, you will be rideing in a death trap, it will ****** up your crumple zone, and all and all its just a freaking retarded idea and a waste of time.

SO if you taking about cutting metal out of your body, doors, frame, etc...it is both Foolish and unsafe... all to save MAYBE 10 lbs if you REALLY cut a a *****load out. Sorry your wasting your time, 10 lbs wont make any difference. that really is like taking a huge pee, then driving naked.

If you want a light weight car, Sell the SC and buy a Civic or something and stop trying to do a luxury car the "cheap way" and move onto something else that will respond better to shortcuts
I'm not doing things the cheap way. Look at my previous posts. As I have said, I'm trying to be thorough. I am spending craptastic loads of money on this car but I am doing it the right way so that I can build a safe, reliable, and luxurious daily driver.

Furthermore, I understand that swiss cheesing my body panels will decrease their strength. I'm not stupid. I'm simply asking everyone if there are any panels that can safely withstand cutting some holes in them to cut down on weight. 5 lbs here and there adds up to 75 when you take your time and really go all out.
Old 05-13-09, 09:15 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this going to be a track car or a street car that sometimes sees the track? For a street car, I really wouldn't worry about it that much. A couple hundred pounds of weight lost (not easily) will be completely negated the first time you cruise around with a buddy in the passenger seat. For a street car, it's a waste of time.

If you want a light track car, get a Fox Mustang or a 240 or something. These cars will never be light.
Old 05-13-09, 09:19 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

An earlier post:

but right now Im wondering what I can do for free. Can I cut up some sheetmetal without making it a death trap? What are CHEAP ways to SAFELY remove weight without compromising LUXURY?

And this last post:
I'm not doing things the cheap way. Look at my previous posts.
You just contradicted yourself.

And the Quick and short answer is:

No, there is NO panels that should be tampered with period on your car, It will compromise the structural rigidity of the car.

You said you spent buttloads on the car already, well Spend buttloads more to do it the right way.

Its retarded to do what your are saying you want to, unless your going to trailer the car around everywhere and only drive it on a track.

Say you get in a wreck, Not only will you most likley get seriously injured, BUT when the investigator comes out and notice's you messed with the frame and panels, you WILL, and when i say this i mean, you WILL get sued a **** load regardless of who's fault it is because your car will be deemed unsafe for the road. Happened to an acquaintance of mine, and now hes out 275k and has an unlawful death charge against him and is looking as some serious time... all because he wanted to save 5-10lbs on a car.... smart choice.
Old 05-13-09, 09:27 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Asha'man
Is this going to be a track car or a street car that sometimes sees the track? For a street car, I really wouldn't worry about it that much. A couple hundred pounds of weight lost (not easily) will be completely negated the first time you cruise around with a buddy in the passenger seat. For a street car, it's a waste of time.

If you want a light track car, get a Fox Mustang or a 240 or something. These cars will never be light.
I can't really hook the 575whp my 78 Camaro has on the street. Sure, I could cut back on the NOS and run 425 whp on motor, but what's the fun in only running a car at 70%? Besides, I don't want to put too many miles on that SBC when its got 409 CI's, I doubt it will make it to 100k (even if I never used the Nos) before she pops

My solution is to build my lexus to be (How many times must I say it?)

RELIABLE
SAFE
LUXURIOUS

so that I may Drive it every day.
Old 05-13-09, 09:31 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

My solution is to build my lexus to be (How many times must I say it?)

RELIABLE
SAFE
LUXURIOUS

so that I may Drive it every day.

if you cut out chunks of metal it wont be safe at all, just safe some cash (if needed, i dont know nor is it any of my business how well off you are) and just buy some CF doors, trunk and hood, that right there is like no lie 300lbs, then do seats, and so on so on. I just dont want to see some one **** up their life because they wanted to skimp out and save 10 lbs in a car
Old 05-13-09, 09:37 PM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tube frame it, That thing will be amazingly light!
Old 05-13-09, 09:39 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
An earlier post:

You just contradicted yourself.

-No, I didn't, you don't read carefully. Just because I just dropped a grand on rims and tires doesn't mean I have another grand to shell out on CF crap. that stuff comes later, MANY paychecks later.

No, there is NO panels that should be tampered with period on your car, It will compromise the structural rigidity of the car.

- how hard was that to say? This thread is 2 pages long and I finaly have an answer to the real question i asked. Thank you

You said you spent buttloads on the car already, well Spend buttloads more to do it the right way.
- did I? the list I posted is the list of mods that I Haven't bought yet. Again, maybe you should read a little more carefully.

Its retarded to do what your are saying you want to, unless your going to trailer the car around everywhere and only drive it on a track.

Say you get in a wreck, Not only will you most likley get seriously injured, BUT when the investigator comes out and notice's you messed with the frame and panels, you WILL, and when i say this i mean, you WILL get sued a **** load regardless of who's fault it is because your car will be deemed unsafe for the road. Happened to an acquaintance of mine, and now hes out 275k and has an unlawful death charge against him and is looking as some serious time... all because he wanted to save 5-10lbs on a car.... smart choice.

-Thanks, but I can take care of myself
for anyone who is wondering what the hell I am thinking, I would urge you to READ my posts, not skim

Quick Reply: I have a holesaw