Apexi universal air filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-02, 06:47 PM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool Apexi universal air filter

Hi guys,

Anyone using the Apexi universal air filter? How do you like it? I've read a couple of good reviews about it.

Thanks,

DJL
Old 03-21-02, 08:34 PM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering the same question awile back. I know at least 1 person on there boards is using one. You will have to get a MAF adapter to put any after market filter on our cars. (I got mine from importtoys.com) But the thing is...The adapter is 3in. and the Apexi filter is 80mm (3 1/4 in). So you would have to figure out some way to make the outside of the front end of the adapter a quarter inch thicker. I was told duct tape about a in. wide just layerd on the end if the adapter and just squeez the filter on to a good tight fit. Then use some silicone sealer to make sure there are no air leaks. Sounds like it would work. I have my MAF adapter and am expecting my heat shield in another week or 2, then i am going to worry about my filter. I too have read the websight that stated that the Apexi if best, in filtration and Hp gain. I most likely be using the Apexi in about 3 weeks. Have you seen any for sale on the internet. I have searched, but the only place i have found in rollhard.com. I was wondering if you have found any others.
Old 03-21-02, 09:20 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is some of that plumber's tape that is basically strechy rubber with a sticky side on it. Looks like electrical tape. Wrap a few times, and should build up to a 1/4 inch. Good and tight, better seal than duck tape. Get it at Wally World. Wal-mart for those who don't know what I mean, I live 15 minutes from the headquarters.
Old 03-21-02, 11:43 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How funny...I just came back from having an adapter fabricated for my Apexi filter. I've had the filter for months, but haven't found an adapter. Supposedly, the kit for the Supra (non-turbo, I believe) fits, but I'm not sure. Anyhow, I had the adapter fabricated. The job took about 3 hours, but the guy who made it for me did a really nice job. I'll take some pictures when I find time.

As far as performance, I didn't notice a HUGE difference. As far as sound, it sounds weenie. I used to have an AEM intake on my Accord, and that sounded like a MONSTER compared to this. But I'm satisfied. I didn't expect too much even though reviews claim that this is the best filter. I wasn't going to put this filter on, but since I got it for free from a friend, and since I needed to change my stock filter, I decided to have the adapter made. BTW, I paid $40 for the adapter, but for the quality and time that was put into it, I think I got a nice deal. Thanks Jack!
Old 03-22-02, 12:08 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Why don't you guys just buy a standard 3-inch flange filter? That way you bypass all the trouble of an incompatible 3.25-inch flanged filter that doesn't increase air flow one bit. The MAF is tappered down to 3x2-inch or so, so a 5-inch flange diameter wouldn't do anymore than a 3-inch other than create turbulent air flow within the filter. If you rig a seal around the 3.25-inch Apexi, you'll create similar turbulence. K&N is a good filter cone with a million mile warranty on it. API is probably the loudest filter. Either way, you won't GAIN any noticeable power through them, so just concentrate on good filtration. If you end up buying the Apexi, a metal o-ring is the most secure fastening device you can use.
Old 03-22-02, 06:22 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Because it looks cool, and cleaning without oils is kinda nice....
Old 03-22-02, 08:23 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here it is...
oh yeah...the filter looks really small too...
Attached Thumbnails Apexi universal air filter-apexifilter.jpg  

Last edited by howiedoit; 03-22-02 at 08:30 AM.