SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How's the Stock Stereo System in your SC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-09, 06:23 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

95 Nackamichi factory upgrade is the bomb, as long as you dont care about your C.D.s. I just listen to diff. preset stations.
Old 05-14-09, 03:43 AM
snook
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was the upgrade in 95 or 97?

Is there a forum vendor that sells the setup?

Thank you
Old 05-14-09, 08:46 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced my 92 factory stereo with a Kenwood Double Din DNX-7100 DVD/Nav, the sound quality isnt the same. Before with the factory headunit, it would have clean-clear sound where as now I get distortion and not as loud but the built in NAV/DVD compensates for it. Im guessing the factory amp doesnt play nice with aftermarket equipment.
Old 05-14-09, 09:58 AM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know with 3 blown speakers, my stock system still had a nice rumble to it :-D To be stock, that sub is a beast (for what it is)
Old 05-14-09, 10:01 AM
Durrr
Lead Lap

everything was dry rotted and broken when I got it, so I have no frame of reference. It's working now as it's completely redone with infinity and pioneer.
Old 05-14-09, 10:15 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If it was me, I would start by replacing the factory speakers, and see if you are happier with the sound quality they are providing. If not, then replace the subwoofer with either a Kicker or JL, and add an amp. Then, if still not happy replace the head unit. If you need help with the wiring, PM me.
Old 05-14-09, 10:56 AM
J:M
Pole Position

Talking

Originally Posted by eyeSOARER6
I just replaced my 92 factory stereo with a Kenwood Double Din DNX-7100 DVD/Nav, the sound quality isnt the same. Before with the factory headunit, it would have clean-clear sound where as now I get distortion and not as loud but the built in NAV/DVD compensates for it. Im guessing the factory amp doesnt play nice with aftermarket equipment.
I've done testing on my factory deck. I realized you have to bypass the amp, and power the speakers (not including the sub) through the new deck, or you get weird interference of some sort. But the sub is still powered through the amp, since it's just lower frequency sound coming out, the distortion isn't noticeable.
Old 05-14-09, 02:04 PM
BigLSC4
Driver

I have a 95 w/ Nakamichi setup and I think it sounds great.
Old 05-14-09, 03:00 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kingdunke
my stock audio is pretty decent with 6 speakers and a sub. i am pretty impressed with the quality.
Originally Posted by Classified
I love the stock system.
Originally Posted by lowkeySC
i loved my stock system as well.
Originally Posted by Jeembo
I love my '99 Lexus system. Plenty of bass and great sound quality overall, especially with CDs.
Originally Posted by BigLSC4
I have a 95 w/ Nakamichi setup and I think it sounds great.
^ this with my 97's stock setup. I'm working on a Carputer setup that integrates with, and doesn't replace, the stock system because I like it so much.
Ex. it handles and plays a demo CD I've used since the early 90s, Techmaster PEB, Bass Computer.
Old 05-14-09, 04:50 PM
slowmedown
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexdud
The stereo in my '93 works great EXCEPT that the CD changer does not or will not play MP3s. I have been told that it can play .wav files or whatever ...

I've tried everything and nothing (other than a CD) will play in it. Currently I am driving the unit with a cheap MP3 player with a cassette interface.

It sounds OK.
My 92 plays MP3s, but lately my radio doesnt turn on and when it does it wont stay on. Other than that its not that bad considering when it works. Im not that into stereo systems though
Old 05-14-09, 08:11 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds decent for stock. Antenna doesn't fully go down anymore so it's just unplugged. Reception is 50/50 because of it.
Old 05-14-09, 08:13 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i had a mint factory sound setup.. but replacing it and rewiring my speakers was definetly worth it..

i'm not a audio person at all, but my system now, Pioneer headunit, rewired factory speakers by passing stock amp.. then i added a simple cheap 10" sub and box.. sounds waaaaaaaaay better...
Old 05-14-09, 08:28 PM
MREY
Driver School Candidate

I pulled my factory system because the changer couldn't make up it's mind to play or not. Now it's all alpine, it sounds good, plays loud, and now I can plug in anything I desire. The only thing I have left is to port the sub into the car. Does anybody have pics of how they done it?
Old 05-14-09, 10:16 PM
RANDY P
Driver

Default The only thing

Is that there is no way to cleanly integrate an Ipod into it...

What the factory system needs is bigger midbass drivers in the front, I'm gonna try swapping 6.5" seperates up front and 6" mid in rear but go with lighter (lower power handling, higher efficiency) drivers along with a decent HU that accepts ipod

If all else fails, next thing is to kill the factory amp for more power and hope I can tune the sub to my tastes.

Strong midbass will definitely fix things on these cars...

With that said,here is mine after exactly 2 mos. of ownership today (was stock with dings when I got it:
Attached Thumbnails How's the Stock Stereo System in your SC?-sc400.jpg  
Old 05-15-09, 08:56 AM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a stock Nakamichi system, and it sounded alright. Like someone said, it needed more midrange. But then the stock amp kept breaking.

So I replaced everything with kicker mids, tweeters, and a 4-channel Kenwood amp. That sounded REALLY good.

But then I needed some bass. The stock 10" just wasn't doing anything for me. Luckily, I had 2JL 10 W3's 2 ported boxes, and a 500/1 that my Dad hooked me up with when he sold the boat. This Setup is amazing. The JL's hit hard and clean, the mids are clear and loud.

The amazing parts are:
1. Nothing rattles, except the rear deck lid(going to fix that). It's the first car that I didn't need to dynamat.
2. Even from inside the trunk, past all the lexis soundproofing. These 2 10" subs hit hard and clean.

I don't even have a crossover or bass controler, I'm still on the Stock headunit too lol.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that, no matter how good a stock system is. It will never compare to a properly done aftermarket setup.

Quick Reply: How's the Stock Stereo System in your SC?