SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How's the Stock Stereo System in your SC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-09, 02:05 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone who prefers the stock system is either DEAF or has never heard a nice stereo with good sound quality.

Now that metra has come out with an easy to install and affordable radio installation kit there is no excuse not to change the stock unit out.
The stock stereo has an in dash TAPE player, please tell me the last time you bought a new album on CASSETTE???? The highly INCONVENIENT trunk mounted CD changer doesnt play anything other than store bought CD's (burned ones will kill the laser) and it will break soon if its still working (you wanna change the CD in the rain/snow??).

Also the factory paper/foam speakers are degrading with age and new decent aftermarket ones will have much higher sound quality.

There is no reason to keep stock, the aftermarket has much nicer headunits with screens and DVD/CD players that play MP3 CD's etc... also you can get ipod inputs,sirius radio, or USB inputs to play your music on, for example i have a 16 gig USB thumb drive i can load with songs and plug in....thats more than 10 CD changers worth of music. The higher end aftermarket units also have adjustable EQ which makes a HUGE difference in the sound VS. just having bass/mid/treb. controls (ask aka paco)

I can understand if someone doesn't want huge loud bass and a big box in the trunk, there is a few aftermarket subs that will fit into the stock sub hole with slight modifications which any stereo shop can do or you can just get a small single 10 or 12 in a box in the trunk and then you can add in the amount of bass you like (most aftermarket headunits have separate sub volume), you need a sub though because the stock 4" speakers have no bass at all which is why lexus had a factory sub in it to begin with.
Old 05-15-09, 02:48 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
Anyone who prefers the stock system is either DEAF or has never heard a nice stereo with good sound quality.
Little harsh there.

I prefer the stock system, solely because I don't want to spend money to get a better stereo, and it's not THAT bad to say that I'm deaf.

My SC400 has a good sound system for a freakin 92 that only cost 5 grand.
Old 05-15-09, 02:59 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Amini9
Little harsh there.

I prefer the stock system, solely because I don't want to spend money to get a better stereo, and it's not THAT bad to say that I'm deaf.

My SC400 has a good sound system for a freakin 92 that only cost 5 grand.
LOL!!!
Thats not prefer, thats stuck with.......if money wasn't an issue you cant tell me that you would PREFER to keep the stock system vs. new aftermarket setup.

I was just saying its outdated, so if your changer goes bad then what?? its either the local FM ZOO CREW in the morning or an old ABBA tape....

And yes it is THAT bad, if you listened to mine for a day and got back into your car it would be torture LOL
Old 05-15-09, 03:48 PM
Jostar
Driver

Now that metra has come out with an easy to install and affordable radio installation kit there is no excuse not to change the stock unit out.
The stock stereo has an in dash TAPE player, please tell me the last time you bought a new album on CASSETTE???? The highly INCONVENIENT trunk mounted CD changer doesnt play anything other than store bought CD's (burned ones will kill the laser) and it will break soon if its still working (you wanna change the CD in the rain/snow??).

Also the factory paper/foam speakers are degrading with age and new decent aftermarket ones will have much higher sound quality.

There is no reason to keep stock, the aftermarket has much nicer headunits with screens and DVD/CD players that play MP3 CD's etc... also you can get ipod inputs,sirius radio, or USB inputs to play your music on, for example i have a 16 gig USB thumb drive i can load with songs and plug in....thats more than 10 CD changers worth of music. The higher end aftermarket units also have adjustable EQ which makes a HUGE difference in the sound VS. just having bass/mid/treb. controls (ask aka paco)

I can understand if someone doesn't want huge loud bass and a big box in the trunk, there is a few aftermarket subs that will fit into the stock sub hole with slight modifications which any stereo shop can do or you can just get a small single 10 or 12 in a box in the trunk and then you can add in the amount of bass you like (most aftermarket headunits have separate sub volume), you need a sub though because the stock 4" speakers have no bass at all which is why lexus had a factory sub in it to begin with.

What is this Metra you speak of??? lol, Link please.... I am in the market to upgrade all my stock audio with something better but not to crazy, Just replace the OEM stuff....
Old 05-16-09, 12:27 AM
$loJam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock nak is adequate and has a lil bump. The trunk rattling days are out of style. Nobody blasts their system anymore. I would rather spend any extra money on wheels/suspension. IMO, aftermarket hu's look like crap in the SC b/c you still have two big radio ***** on the side.
Old 05-16-09, 06:38 AM
Blurr
Driver

((Pioneer)) Mine sounds ok. The only problem I have is the CD changer. Ancient technology so it always skips. I plan to upgrade soon. I need Navi and XM.
Old 05-16-09, 07:40 AM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

LOL!!!
Thats not prefer, thats stuck with.......if money wasn't an issue you cant tell me that you would PREFER to keep the stock system vs. new aftermarket setup.

I was just saying its outdated, so if your changer goes bad then what?? its either the local FM ZOO CREW in the morning or an old ABBA tape....

And yes it is THAT bad, if you listened to mine for a day and got back into your car it would be torture LOL
Honestly, at first I wanted to keep my stock system, only because anything I wanted to upgrade I would have to modify to fit in the SC. I didn't see they made the metra kit, until now, but yeah I guess if money isn't an issue I would upgrade.

And either the previous owner of my SC upgraded the back speakers\subwoofer or my stock system puts out good bass..

Originally Posted by Jostar
What is this Metra you speak of??? lol, Link please.... I am in the market to upgrade all my stock audio with something better but not to crazy, Just replace the OEM stuff....
I looked it up, and wow. I didn't know they made this. I'm definetly going to buy this when I upgrade my HU.

Double DIN - Click

Single DIN - Click

Search the part number on google or something to find someone who sells it.
Old 05-16-09, 09:30 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Funny thing is i just bought my metra dash kit a few days, i'm waiting to get it either today or monday.

As for the stock system, its actually VERY good for a stock system. Like i said "stock" being the key word here. If everything is working like tweeters and woofer then its ight. Compared to a good aftermarket system, well then its crap, their is no way around that. My 2 focal not component speakers hit cleaner and harder then the old 4 speaker and 2 tweeter setup my car came with. And my 2 225w rms 10 in mtx subs hit harder then any free air woofer could ever achive.

A good entry level system is better then any oem cars system.

Honestly, at first I wanted to keep my stock system, only because anything I wanted to upgrade I would have to modify to fit in the SC. I didn't see they made the metra kit, until now, but yeah I guess if money isn't an issue I would upgrade..
I thought the kit was only plastic, which you dont even really need, its just their for looks. I could be wrong but i thought they still havent made a wiring harness adapter for the sc. So you still need to to splice the wires if you want the oem speakers and woofer to work. Which is why when i upgraded i went full aftermarket when i did my install.

Last edited by Ryeno; 05-16-09 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-16-09, 09:47 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My stock system was so good that I decided that it was too good for me and I passed it along to the next person who wanted to hear a symphony equal to that of an electric pencil sharpener.
Old 05-16-09, 10:28 AM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ryeno

I thought the kit was only plastic, which you dont even really need, its just their for looks. I could be wrong but i thought they still havent made a wiring harness adapter for the sc. So you still need to to splice the wires if you want the oem speakers and woofer to work. Which is why when i upgraded i went full aftermarket when i did my install.

Yep, in the instructions it says to solder the two wires.. :\
Old 05-16-09, 10:34 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Speaking of the devil i just got my metra dash kit 95-8157b. You would need to solder more then 2 wires to get a stereo running. You need 12v ign acc, 12v batt, ground, ill+, and the 2 pink wires for radio.

Then if you wanted to keep the stock speakers, you would need to bypass the amp and wire then all directly the the HU. And to keep the stock sub working, you would need to run your own power to the sub. run a rem+ to the woofer and get an inline converter to get the sound to it. Considering your going to need to rip out your whole interior to get to the speakers, you might as well just upgrade them while everything is exposed.
Old 05-16-09, 10:37 AM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Speaking of the devil i just got my metra dash kit 95-8157b. You would need to solder more then 2 wires to get a stereo running. You need 12v ign acc, 12v batt, ground, ill+, and the 2 pink wires for radio.

Then if you wanted to keep the stock speakers, you would need to bypass the amp and wire then all directly the the HU. And to keep the stock sub working, you would need to run your own power to the sub. run a rem+ to the woofer and get an inline converter to get the sound to it. Considering your going to need to rip out your whole interior to get to the speakers, you might as well just upgrade them while everything is exposed.
I thought this dash kit is just to hold the headunit without the extra ugliness?

is it more then what i thought?
Old 05-16-09, 10:41 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

My factory system sounded better than my aftermarket stereo I have now. Primarily because my factory system used the factory amplifiers. I could not utilize the factory amplifiers with my aftermarket headunit.

If you were to switch to your factory headunit again, I would buy some aftermarket speakers for the front and rear to make it sound outstanding.
Old 05-16-09, 10:41 AM
Ryeno
Banned

I thought this dash kit is just to hold the headunit without the extra ugliness?

is it more then what i thought?
nope thats exaclty what it is. i dont like the fact the holding sides are made of plastic, that just seems a little flimsy for me considering oem is metal.
Originally Posted by Luxor
If you were to switch to your factory headunit again, I would buy some aftermarket speakers for the front and rear to make it sound outstanding.
I've said this before and i will say it again. 9 times out of 10 rear speakers are a waste. Unless you care about watching dvds in surround sound, rear speakers are worthless. Your much better of buying 300 dollar front speakers then 150 dollar front and 150 dollar rear speakers. Plus you can save yourself some money on not needing a 4 channel amp. Music is stereo, so you only need 2 speakers. Plus you sit up front, why would u need rear sound? its just a distraction unless you set the eq to make it play louder in the front, in which case its stupid having rear speakers anyways.

Last edited by Ryeno; 05-16-09 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-16-09, 10:57 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Speaking of the devil i just got my metra dash kit 95-8157b. You would need to solder more then 2 wires to get a stereo running. you need ill+, and the 2 pink wires for radio.
Well or arguments sake i will say that you only need to connect 2 wires for it to power on, 12v constant and 12v switch, it will ground thru the antenna wire. (of course you need speaker wires/RCA's hooked up to hear sound)

The illumination wire doesnt need to be hooked up, some headunits dont even use it. Also the pink wires are for the antenna....again you dont NEED them unless you use the stock power antenna (some are broken or shaved)

your going to need to rip out your whole interior to get to the speakers, you might as well just upgrade them while everything is exposed.
You dont have to change the speakers, im using my stock pioneer 4" with my head unit right now without any problems untill i upgrade. so if you arent planning on changing speakers then there is NO NEED to take the interior apart.

Quick Reply: How's the Stock Stereo System in your SC?