SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

quick question about fogs/sidemarkers '99 SC4

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-09, 09:32 AM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Default quick question about fogs/sidemarkers '99 SC4

'99 SC400. When are the fogs/sidemarkers supposed to turn on? I find it hard to believe all 4 bulbs blew but none work. There is a green indicator light that's illuminated on the cluster that I guess is a blown bulb indicator? I don't have a manual (wasn't in car when I got it) and already tried doing a search but didn't get the results I wanted. I saw a few results saying if it's a fuse it's the same one controlling the tails or something but they work as well as the brake lights.

*runs and gets flame suit*
Old 05-15-09, 12:43 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The green light in the cluster tells you the headlights are turned on. It has nothing to do with blown bulbs.

The light switch has 4 positions OFF, parking/marker lights, headlights, and AUTO.

the side markers should be on anytime the switch is in the parking light or headlight position and will come on at night in auto.

The fog lights wont turn on unless the switch is in the headlight position(and high beams are OFF), and the side marker may just have blown bulbs?? (please explain or show pics of what lights you mean)

If you need an owners manual you can go to www.LEXUS.com and register your car, then go into the owners section and there is a link for owners manual, just fill in the info. and lexus will send you a new one free of charge!!!

Last edited by IOWNALEXUS; 05-15-09 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-15-09, 01:03 PM
Jeembo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
If you need an owners manual you can go to www.LEXUS.com and register your car, then go into the owners section and there is a link for owners manual, just fill in the info. and lexus will send you a new one free of charge!!!
This didn't work for me - I had to buy mine from the dealership

Fog lights have a separate switch - rotate the wider part of your headlight switch up to turn those on. Hard to explain. But yeah.. your side markers should come on whenever your city lights or headlights are on. Unless you're talking about the turn signal portion - those never come on (unless your signal is on, obviously). If they don't, they're prob burnt out or you've got a bad fuse.
Old 05-15-09, 03:16 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
The green light in the cluster tells you the headlights are turned on. It has nothing to do with blown bulbs.

the side markers should be on anytime the switch is in the parking light or headlight position and will come on at night in auto.

The fog lights wont turn on unless the switch is in the headlight position(and high beams are OFF), and the side marker may just have blown bulbs?? (please explain or show pics of what lights you mean)

Thanks for the info. Sorry no pics. I actually dropped the car off tonight at a shop so they can look at it 1st thing in the morning to look at a power steering leak I have. I told them about the lights too so we'll see. The lights I mean are the amber sidemarkers and the clear lights in the corners in the bumper under the headlights. I understand with the older sc's they funtioned as turn signals but with my year there fogs and don't work.

Originally Posted by Jeembo
Fog lights have a separate switch - rotate the wider part of your headlight switch up to turn those on. Hard to explain. But yeah.. your side markers should come on whenever your city lights or headlights are on. Unless you're talking about the turn signal portion - those never come on (unless your signal is on, obviously). If they don't, they're prob burnt out or you've got a bad fuse.
You mean the switch to the right of where you turn the lights on? The other dial which just reads on/off? If so they don't turn on in doing so. I have a feeling it's just bulbs or a fuse but i've been too busy to check it out myself and i'm a noob to sc's
Old 05-16-09, 12:18 AM
Jeembo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Durrby
You mean the switch to the right of where you turn the lights on? The other dial which just reads on/off? If so they don't turn on in doing so. I have a feeling it's just bulbs or a fuse but i've been too busy to check it out myself and i'm a noob to sc's
Yessir that's the switch. Should have a little picture of a light with horizontal lines and a squiggly line going vertical through em. Yeah.. sounds like you've got a fuse issue.
Old 05-16-09, 04:50 AM
Durrby
Instructor

Well then something is effed. The switch was in the on position when I got it and yeah haha.
Old 05-16-09, 05:24 AM
ucfa4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are just missing the switch.
Old 05-16-09, 08:47 PM
Durrby
Instructor

If it were to be a fuse which one is it. I just tried to check out the box in the kick panel and only saw 2 15amp fuses. Cars in the garage and space is limited so i'll just wait til tomorrow to check it out.
Old 05-17-09, 02:52 PM
Durrby
Instructor

well with the sidemarkers luckily it was just bulbs.

haven't really attempted to check out the fogs yet. i can already tell it's gonna be a p.i.t.a. to check/change them.
Old 05-17-09, 07:41 PM
Durrby
Instructor

checked both foglight bulbs and there both good. but in the process of removing them I damaged the little metal sleeve connection on the wire that goes into the socket from the fog light housing.

now what??
Old 05-19-09, 09:41 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

checked both foglight bulbs and there both good. but in the process of removing them I damaged the little metal sleeve connection on the wire that goes into the socket from the fog light housing.

now what??
Re-solder it.
Old 05-19-09, 09:48 AM
Durrby
Instructor

^thanks but the connector kinda crumbled into a few pieces.

the now what was more in reference to now what should I look for. where's/whats the fuse for the fogs?
Old 05-20-09, 08:24 PM
Durrby
Instructor

bump......
Old 05-20-09, 10:35 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I understand with the older sc's they funtioned as turn signals but with my year there fogs and don't work.

Just in case, I wanted to make sure that you understood what INEEDANSC3 wrote. He is saying that in order for you to turn on the fogs, your headlights have to be on as well. You can't turn on the fogs by themselves without the headlights being on. Are your headlights on the on position when trying to turn on the fogs? Hopefully this is the case.
Old 05-20-09, 10:48 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheMole
Just in case, I wanted to make sure that you understood what INEEDANSC3 wrote. He is saying that in order for you to turn on the fogs, your headlights have to be on as well. You can't turn on the fogs by themselves without the headlights being on. Are your headlights on the on position when trying to turn on the fogs? Hopefully this is the case.
If not get a multi meter and check for voltage at the "crumbled" connector, if its that bad it might not have been getting power to the bulb..........

Quick Reply: quick question about fogs/sidemarkers '99 SC4