SC vs. Supra in handling

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-02, 04:51 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC vs. Supra in handling

Hey Gang,

How does SC300 handle vs. 93-98 supra. Anyone have actually stats for mags? Stock form that is.

thanks
Old 03-22-02, 05:18 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any cold hard numbers, but my theory is that the Supra handles much better for these reasons... It has a stiffer suspension and lower ride because it is a sporty performance coupe as opposed to a smooth SC300 luxury coupe. The Supra weighs less. The Supra probably has a better front to rear balance because it has a shorter frame. The Supra has bigger disc brakes.
Old 03-22-02, 05:25 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by lex400sc
I don't have any cold hard numbers, but my theory is that the Supra handles much better for these reasons... It has a stiffer suspension and lower ride because it is a sporty performance coupe as opposed to a smooth SC300 luxury coupe. The Supra weighs less. The Supra probably has a better front to rear balance because it has a shorter frame. The Supra has bigger disc brakes.
Sorry to disapoint you, but Supra and the Soarer are the same cars pretty much. Supra is a hatchback, not a coupe. The SC is the coupe version of the Supra and the GS is the sadan. Only the SUpra TT version had the bigger breaks which also fit our cars while the N/A had our breaks. These breaks are also known as TRD breaks in Japan. I don't belive our cars are smooth. It's true that the shocks are less stiffer, but otherwise tranny isn't much more smoother on the SC300. I agree with you on the SC400. Peace...

Z
Old 03-22-02, 08:18 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Healerhand,

I have owned both....94TT with stock suspension....92SC4 with stock suspension.

Cars are very, very close. If you put the Supra 17/9.5 and 17/8 wheels on the SC4 it will perform almost exactly like the Supra. Just remember....just about all the Supra suspension upgrades will bolt right on a SC....the cars are built on the same line....the big Supra TT brakes just bolt directly on a SC....the story goes on and on.

I sold my 94TT about a year ago and still have my SC4. I will keep the SC4 over the 94TT any day of the week.
Old 03-23-02, 03:10 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

If I am not mistaken, the Supra was built off of the SC chassis and drive line. SC started in 92 and the Mark IV Supra in 94.
Old 03-23-02, 06:47 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by Camshaft
If I am not mistaken, the Supra was built off of the SC chassis and drive line. SC started in 92 and the Mark IV Supra in 94.
Yes, you are almost right. Supra came out in 93.5.
Now, SC, Supra, GS, are all based on one of them tank-like LX or ES cars. I can't remember which one. But the reason why they are labaled as different cars because they have different interior and exterior. Also, with Supra, Toyota reduced the weight as much as they could and cut the back of the car. Good idea, we all know how much the back likes to come out. Right? I like to think of these cars as pretty much the same line but one is a hatchback, the other is a coupe (the SC) and then there is the sadan.
Old 03-23-02, 02:11 PM
SCV8
Instructor

I think the shocks are stiffer on the SC,at least initially,to try and control the soft SC springs.After putting OEM TT springs/shocks/rear bar onto my SC4,it handles like a dream,still rides worthy of a luxo-car,tail end is completely controllable,no more spinning out after the car hits the bumpstops in a wicked lean-over.
So IMO the Supra is the better handler,but I'd never trade my SC for one,at least not now anyways.
I've always wondered if the huge cars used the same stuff,that's interesting.
Old 03-23-02, 03:04 PM
quick
Pole Position

Originally posted by ToyLexmods
I sold my 94TT about a year ago and still have my SC4. I will keep the SC4 over the 94TT any day of the week.
Isn't your preference largely based on practicality and daily-driving?

My intent is to get an SC400 as a daily driver so that I can have a nice garage queen Supra TT to go drive fast on the weekends.

I think an SC400 is a more 'streetable' car, especially with the auto. However, given a choice between the two I'd take the Supra (or both in my case).
Old 03-23-02, 03:10 PM
quick
Pole Position

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
Sorry to disapoint you, but Supra and the Soarer are the same cars pretty much. Supra is a hatchback, not a coupe. The SC is the coupe version of the Supra and the GS is the sadan. Only the SUpra TT version had the bigger breaks which also fit our cars while the N/A had our breaks. These breaks are also known as TRD breaks in Japan. I don't belive our cars are smooth. It's true that the shocks are less stiffer, but otherwise tranny isn't much more smoother on the SC300. I agree with you on the SC400. Peace...
Aren't the control arms larger on the Supra vs. the SCs?

Additionally, the spring rates are different (like has been mentioned), and the shocks are valved differently.

Brakes are 12.75" in the Supra TT (which is IIRC 2" larger) and have 2-piston calipers in front and 1-piston calipers in the rear.

Sway bars are larger as well.

So, as far as I know -- everything's different.

...about what you'd expect when you compare a sports car vs. a sporty coupe GT-ish car.

Last edited by quick; 03-23-02 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-23-02, 03:20 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

How many pistons per caliper in the SC300/400? Is the SC coupe a extended body Supra or an extended frame?
Old 03-23-02, 11:31 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by quick

Aren't the control arms larger on the Supra vs. the SCs?

Additionally, the spring rates are different (like has been mentioned), and the shocks are valved differently.

Brakes are 12.75" in the Supra TT (which is IIRC 2" larger) and have 2-piston calipers in front and 1-piston calipers in the rear.

Sway bars are larger as well.

So, as far as I know -- everything's different.

...about what you'd expect when you compare a sports car vs. a sporty coupe GT-ish car.
I am not sure about the control arm too, but yes, SCs does have different springs and different shocks. Supra comes with Toico shocks, right? Anyways, I just purchased KYB AGX shocks and Eibach Pro kit both for Supra TT. We shall see if it fits or not.
Old 03-23-02, 11:32 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
I am not sure about the control arm too, but yes, SCs does have different springs and different shocks. Supra comes with Toico shocks, right? Anyways, I just purchased KYB AGX shocks and Eibach Pro kit both for Supra TT. We shall see if it fits or not.
Clint, you there? Got any info you can spare us?
Old 03-24-02, 12:17 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Directql,the setup should work fine since you've got the Supra shocks to go with the Supra springs(the rear spring has a different end,as well as the shock having a different seat,Supra vs. SC,that is).
I'd strongly suggest the rear bar from the Supra to go along with what you have going,as the eibach people setup those springs assuming you have that on there to begin with.
Old 03-24-02, 11:25 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Iwill try out your theory on the rear bar i just got a set of japanese billstein tt shocks and springs from my buddy and he still has the complete rear assembly so i will swap out the complete rear .
Old 03-24-02, 12:29 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by SCV8
Directql,the setup should work fine since you've got the Supra shocks to go with the Supra springs(the rear spring has a different end,as well as the shock having a different seat,Supra vs. SC,that is).
I'd strongly suggest the rear bar from the Supra to go along with what you have going,as the eibach people setup those springs assuming you have that on there to begin with.
What exacly is that part that you suggest and how much is it?

Quick Reply: SC vs. Supra in handling