SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-09, 01:02 PM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richesmoua
I'm not going to throw any mods aside of a lip kit. I want the 1998 front end look with a lip kit. The car comes with some 19" gold xxr 962 rims. The car is gold color, but thanks everyone...keep them coming..

I do not know much about the sc, but like the 240sx when it gets up to 150k to over 200k miles the timing chain guides start to wear off. Is there anything in the sc that needs to be replaced like that?
I purchased mine with 210K and most common problem Ive herd was the lower control arm bushings wearing out...that was the first on my to-do list, Im not familiar with the 400 but Have fun with her
Old 05-19-09, 01:10 PM
SoCaLSC400
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ryeno
egh the 400 isnt as realible as the 300 and its not the best platform to build off of. If you can try to get a sc300.
And your evidence to back this up Ryeno? Last time I read one of your posts, your sc300 was burning up oil at only 136k

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...happening.html

To the original poster. Both the sc300 and sc400 are very reliable vehicles and can go 200k+ if PROPERLY MAINTAINED. Can't go wrong with either one. Keep in mind that the cost of ownership (parts/maintenance) on these cars is quite a bit steeper then the typical 240sx/integra prices.

Post some pix of your new ride and welcome to the SC family
Old 05-19-09, 01:37 PM
richesmoua
Driver School Candidate

These are the only pictures I have of the car. They are the ones that were sent to me from the original owner. I have not taken any pics of it yet.

Old 05-19-09, 02:08 PM
richesmoua
Driver School Candidate

If the guy had the car serviced at a shop he should have the invoice, if he changed them himself he should have receipt for the parts. Try to see if he has any.
what if he doesn't have any of both...do I just take his word for it. My brothers a mechanic with 15years experience fixing import cars. He will be with me to check out the car.
Old 05-19-09, 02:57 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

dude I'm at 183k on my 94 SC4 and still running like a champ!
Old 05-19-09, 05:59 PM
defrag010
Driver

I got my SC4 with ~192k miles on it, and it's the most unreliable piece of junk I've ever owned. It was ill maintained, so all kinds of stuff was wrong on it when i got it. I've only been able to put about 100 miles on it since I got it in January because something would break and the car wouldn't run. I've spent hundreds of dollars in used parts trying to diagnose the problems. I just recently got it running again, but I don't like driving it because I don't trust it. I'm moving 500 miles away in a month and I'm actually going to have the car shipped home because I don't trust that it will make that trip without something catastrophic happening.
Old 05-19-09, 06:17 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

egh the 400 isnt as realible as the 300 and its not the best platform to build off of. If you can try to get a sc300.
rofl, good thing you don't know what you're talking about. I believe the highest mileage SC to date is a 400 with something around 650k? It might have been a 300, but pretty sure it was a 400. I think OLT had a thread on it.
Old 05-19-09, 07:23 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richesmoua
I'm not going to throw any mods aside of a lip kit. I want the 1998 front end look with a lip kit. The car comes with some 19" gold xxr 962 rims. The car is gold color, but thanks everyone...keep them coming..

I do not know much about the sc, but like the 240sx when it gets up to 150k to over 200k miles the timing chain guides start to wear off. Is there anything in the sc that needs to be replaced like that?
It's all of the little crap that goes bad :

door latches fail (lil plastic piece snaps)
pwr steering pump leaking onto alternator causing failure (common)
condensation in headlights (ugly)
window regulators fail
trunk struts go bad
Front Lower control arms go bad ($1400 fix for oem replacement)
lower pulley fail (overheating will result)
Speedometer lighting/needles die out
Steering rack wears out
sunroof failure

Sc 400 engines are more reliable IMO. Toyota spent millions just on research on the v8. 300's are much easier to mod. Best bet :Save your $ and step up to the King of Sc's, the 98+ Sc 400 with the coveted VVT-i technology that is currently used on the new Lexus and Toyota vehicles for an ultra smooth and powerful acceleration.
Old 05-19-09, 08:25 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I say buy it... Do some research and check out these links to help you do some DIY jobs, as all listed above. Try to use your best judgement. Everything can be fixed, but WE can help you out with trying to figure it out or fix the problem. Good luck...

www.lextreme.com
www.lexls.com
www.intellexiual.org
www.lextasy.com
www.lexusownersclub.com
Old 05-19-09, 09:42 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

They are terribly unreliable. I highly recommend getting a first gen Dodge neon.
Old 05-19-09, 10:29 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are reliable, but I would try and start off with a lower mile car. Just cause
Old 05-20-09, 03:06 AM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kyoso23
The SC is a very very reliable car if proper maintenance is done. Keep in mind that the maintenance will be quite a bit more expensive than on your Nissan, and to really keep up on it because one thing leading to another can cost quite a bit. The fact that the car is clean is a good sign that it's been well cared for. The 2JZ is a legendary Toyota motor as is the 1UZ used in the 400. Can't go wrong. I would personally trust the 200k+ Lexus over the 100k+ Nissan anyday.
Old 05-20-09, 04:38 AM
94LEXUS400
Driver

I had 97 Maxima SE and 03 Maxima SE before SC400 that I have right now...
They are known for burning oil and all kinds of small issues...
97 Maximas are suppose to be most reliable from all generation Maximas however, it had MAF(expensive), Knock sensor, timing chain prob, etc...
03 Maxima is not even worth mentioning...
I really liked Maximas but they have too many issues...
But they are not slow for 4 door sedans..
Anyways, Good luck on your next car-!
Old 05-20-09, 05:12 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
I say buy it... Do some research and check out these links to help you do some DIY jobs, as all listed above. Try to use your best judgement. Everything can be fixed, but WE can help you out with trying to figure it out or fix the problem. Good luck...

www.lextreme.com
www.lexls.com
www.intellexiual.org
www.lextasy.com
www.lexusownersclub.com

I agree...if you get the car, most likely you're not going to be doing anything that hasn't been done by other CL members already. Use your "SEARCH" section, there is a assload of information available...good luck, and most importantly learn and enjoy!
Old 05-20-09, 06:43 AM
OMD
Pole Position

he always has to be the as****e! if you guys know who im talking about.. anyway, to the OP, the SCs are pretty reliable.. the jz and uz engines they say are over-engineered..

Quick Reply: Reliability