SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why won't my car start? Any ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-02, 02:16 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the legwork on that man. I'm printing this out. My concern however, is that I can hear the solenoid clicking just fine. This leads me to believe that in my situation at least, the contacts may not be the issue. Of course then I can't jump them. So I guess I'll try that first.
Old 03-26-02, 02:27 PM
quick
Pole Position

Oh you'll hear the click, but the contacts are so worn that they don't make a proper connection with the 'plunger', which is why the car doesn't turn over.

I'd just pull the starter and yank the cover. Check the contacts and it will be clear if that's the problem.

Has this occurred intermittently for you, or was it an 'all-at-once' kind of problem?
Old 03-26-02, 02:45 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

It is intermittent, but the car never really did like to start up ever since I bought it. Just kind of groaned two or three times and then - ignition. Once she starts up - bueaty on wheels. Just yesterday, she never even turned.
Old 03-26-02, 04:10 PM
quick
Pole Position

Originally posted by awj
It is intermittent, but the car never really did like to start up ever since I bought it. Just kind of groaned two or three times and then - ignition. Once she starts up - bueaty on wheels. Just yesterday, she never even turned.
that sounds like the symptoms of contacts in the starter as I mentioned -- I've seen it many times -- it's something everyone runs into at some point with these type of starters.

My 85 did it at 135k miles. My wife's 93 Corolla at 110k miles. Friend's Toyota 4x4 at 100k miles....

Contacts just get worn. easy fix.
Old 03-26-02, 07:33 PM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

Well, with mine i burnt up the entire starter assembly. I finally got it started, then the car wouldent turn off. Then it just died, and a HUGE cloud of smoke came out from under my hood and wheel wells. It scared the ***** out of me.
Old 03-27-02, 09:25 AM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

quick, you're the man. Thanks a million.
Old 03-27-02, 10:50 AM
quick
Pole Position

Originally posted by Slick Lex Coupe
quick, you're the man. Thanks a million.
NP. Hope that you're able to save some $$$ by either doing it yourself or cutting through the dealer's b.s.

Good luck.
Old 03-27-02, 11:52 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

For the SC400, the starter is extremly difficult to take out. The starter sit above the intake manifold. That mean you have to take the top half of the engine out to get to the starter.

Last edited by VQT; 03-27-02 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-27-02, 12:40 PM
quick
Pole Position

Originally posted by VQT
For the SC400, the starter is extremly difficult to take out. The starter sit above the intake manifold. That mean you have to take the top half of the engine out to get to the starter.
These are all SC300s that we're talking about.

Any idea how hard it is to remove on the SC3?
Old 03-27-02, 01:01 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no one said the starter was broken; the contacts might just be gunked up

this happened once on my 300zxTT

I pulled off both contacts on the starter motor; used a steel brush to clean them real good; got the contacts back on and it cranked right up.

First try cleaning the contacts before replacing them

And $500 to get this little problem fixed is a RIPOFF. Do not go to the dealer. I had this same problem and paid 10minutes of my own time on my back cleaning a starter
Old 03-27-02, 01:39 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by quick

These are all SC300s that we're talking about.

Any idea how hard it is to remove on the SC3?
I know you guy talking about 300. Just want to let the SC400 guys know the 400 is not that easy. My repair manual doesn't talk about SC300 engine so I don't know how hard it is to get to the starter.
Old 03-29-02, 04:20 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Okay, so I went to pull the starter. Had to buy a floor jack. Got a good deal on a 2.75 ton over the tool shop. Jack up the car. Realize my basic socket set is not going to reach the top bolt on the starter. Well, I was working it out. Then it starts pooring rain. I didn't even get the damn bolts out. Though they are loose. Hopefully, it won't rain tomorrow, I can get some of those funky bent box end wrenches for that top bolt and go from there. There is a wire that I was having trouble getting off - don't know if it has one of those release tabs on it or what. You know, those goofy plastic connectors that break if you pull it the wrong way. Anyone done this on the SC 300 before?
Old 03-29-02, 04:59 PM
quick
Pole Position

Sorry it's been such a pain so far... hopefully it's worth the $485 savings... ?

If you're talking about the wire that connects to the starter, then yes -- there is a clip IIRC... just pinch the correct side and pull.
Old 03-29-02, 05:09 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I'm sure it will be worth it. Just want to do it right. Thanks for your help quick!

AJ
Old 03-29-02, 10:08 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Make sure to take the battery negative cable off. Spend a little more money on tools (Sears), and buy a set of plastic rams. It is safer with two wheels on the rams instead of the floor jack.
Next project on the car you recover the money spent this time

Quick Reply: Why won't my car start? Any ideas