SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why won't my car start? Any ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-02, 10:16 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgot you can't move the car . Buy a pair of jack stand and use the stand as pair, do not use only one stand. The floor jack is the third point for safety.

This way you won't get crush while under the car and for some reason the floor jack fail.

Alway think safety first. This way you can still fix you toy latter on...
Old 03-29-02, 10:25 PM
quick
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by awj
I'm sure it will be worth it. Just want to do it right. Thanks for your help quick!
NP.

VQT is right on in his advice as well. I prefer jackstands to ramps myself.

Just be patient with the starter and take your time. Good luck.
Old 03-30-02, 05:10 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

got my starter down off of the motor but i'm having trouble getting it out of the engine bay. i quit again for today. back at it tomorrow. the damn thing is up on jack stands. got a good deal on those too. i'm going broke saving money. j/k. hey, at least i'm getting tools now. man i'm tired.
Old 03-30-02, 09:11 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by awj
got my starter down off of the motor but i'm having trouble getting it out of the engine bay. i quit again for today. back at it tomorrow. the damn thing is up on jack stands. got a good deal on those too. i'm going broke saving money. j/k. hey, at least i'm getting tools now. man i'm tired.
I know the feeling
Old 03-31-02, 11:02 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

So i got the sarter out. Checked it. Cleaned the contacts. Noticed a balck haze across the starter motor housing. Didn't think any thing - put it back together. Put it back on the car in the drizzle of an easter rain. Hooked everyhting back up. Turn the key, click. Nothing. I'm hoping the battery is just drained from the last time I tried to start it. I'm going to hook up jumpers when the rain lets up. If it doesn't start, I'm going to have to tow or get it rolling and pop the clutch - take it to the starter guys here in town. No plates on the car yet though. *****.

Hey slick, you get yours running yet?
Old 03-31-02, 07:58 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

Same thing happen to me I replaced the battery and now things work fine.
Old 03-31-02, 08:06 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

we'll see. i'll try to jump it tomorrow. hope that's it. other wise it gets a tow. I might try to roll it and pop the clutch in second. That will get it going if the key is turned to on right? She will probably have to go to the shop. Thanks for the help though fellas. First time i ever dropped a starter and it was pretty cool.

AJ
Old 03-31-02, 08:46 PM
quick
Pole Position

Originally posted by awj
So i got the sarter out. Checked it. Cleaned the contacts. Noticed a balck haze across the starter motor housing. Didn't think any thing - put it back together. Put it back on the car in the drizzle of an easter rain. Hooked everyhting back up. Turn the key, click. Nothing. I'm hoping the battery is just drained from the last time I tried to start it. I'm going to hook up jumpers when the rain lets up. If it doesn't start, I'm going to have to tow or get it rolling and pop the clutch - take it to the starter guys here in town. No plates on the car yet though. *****.

Were the contacts pretty worn? You might need to replace then, rather than just cleaning them... (I've never heard of cleaning working before)...

Glad you were able to get it out.
Old 04-01-02, 05:44 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Yea, they were pretty worn. Damn. I need to pull that thing again. Pfff.
Old 04-01-02, 08:49 AM
quick
Pole Position

Originally posted by awj
Yea, they were pretty worn. Damn. I need to pull that thing again. Pfff.
Think of it this way -- you're going to be an expert on the SC300 starter.

Good luck.
Old 04-01-02, 09:17 AM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

Nope, my cars is still sitting in front of my place like a beached whale. I really have to get on that soon though, not having my Lex sucks. For me it's just been the wrong combo of weather, being busy, and being lazy all at the same time.
Old 04-01-02, 10:18 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Its get easier the second time.
Old 04-01-02, 01:47 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Yea, now I have an approach.
Old 04-02-02, 05:03 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Pulled the starter in ten minutes now. Took me two hours last time. I didn't even jack up the car. Yea, Quick. Looks like the contacts are worn below the stop level of the soleniod. I called Lexus of Lesington with your part numbers, they were a$$@oles about it. I told them to order them and then said they might get them Monday. So I called Performance Lexus in the Cincinatti and they were real cool. Said they could have them. I'm going to get them Saturday. He said that those parts were the post though and it is actually the inside piece in the solenoid that is worn - it comes off the post but they are separate so we'll see. Otherwise, I will just fabricate something at work. I'll post a how to with pics for other's when they come across this. This is fun now.
Old 04-02-02, 05:50 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Next time call Steve Ganz 800-908-6968 for your Lexus parts. Its Carson Toyota in California. You can order TRD part from Steve also. Shop around first for price. So far, I think he has the best price

Quick Reply: Why won't my car start? Any ideas