SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300, I hardly knew ya...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-09 | 06:44 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Amini9
This is the only time we can brag about our 2 ton doors!
+1 and how long the front of the car is
Old 05-28-09 | 07:28 PM
Ryeno
Banned

People who just get their license should be put in cars you are okay with totaling. Honestly this really doesnt surprise me. Plus they are girls, what do you expect.
Old 05-28-09 | 07:39 PM
huddleston
Racer

glad your daughters are alright. good luck finding another SC
Old 05-28-09 | 07:56 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryeno
People who just get their license should be put in cars you are okay with totaling. Honestly this really doesnt surprise me. Plus they are girls, what do you expect.
It wasn't even their fault..
Old 05-28-09 | 07:58 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by SCboy
It wasn't even their fault..
Maybe, maybe not; but their is the possibility with more experience they could have gotten out of their or at least side swiped instead of a full on t-bone. Thats why i would expect a car to get messed up when giving it to a 16 yr old.
Old 05-28-09 | 07:58 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

good thing they're ok, hope you find another SC300 soon for them...
Old 05-29-09 | 05:51 AM
Lexusdad
Rookie

Maybe, maybe not; but their is the possibility with more experience they could have gotten out of their or at least side swiped instead of a full on t-bone. Thats why i would expect a car to get messed up when giving it to a 16 yr old.
Tell ya what Reyno, you go find a two (2) lane roadway (one way in each direction for those in Newport) with a forty (40) mph speed limit and let me pull a U turn in front of you when you are about 15 (fifteen) to 20 (twenty) yards away and we will see how you react.

In all seriousness Reyno, engage your brain before your mouth (or fingers in this case), it helps people stay away from the old cliche' of "Better to be thought an idiot, than to open your mouth (or fingers) and be proven one beyond a doubt"

Jim
Old 05-29-09 | 06:21 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Dude, you sound like an idiot.....

Anyways, I am glad your daughters are okay. I recently became a dad, so I can truly understand how scary situations like that are for parents. You should try to find a 97+ SC for them, it looks modern and much better looking than a lot of the new crap cars people are producing today. Like the Nissan cube........don't get me started on that ugly car.
Old 05-29-09 | 07:37 AM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Glad to here that the girls are ok...
Good luck with your search....
Old 05-29-09 | 08:10 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexusdad
Tell ya what Reyno, you go find a two (2) lane roadway (one way in each direction for those in Newport) with a forty (40) mph speed limit and let me pull a U turn in front of you when you are about 15 (fifteen) to 20 (twenty) yards away and we will see how you react.

In all seriousness Reyno, engage your brain before your mouth (or fingers in this case), it helps people stay away from the old cliche' of "Better to be thought an idiot, than to open your mouth (or fingers) and be proven one beyond a doubt"

Jim
LOL. +1 Lexusdad!!! Reyno must be 1 of those professional race car drivers that can get out of any situation....
Old 05-29-09 | 09:44 AM
xzeus
Rookie

Bummer, sad to hear. Good thing your daughters are ok.
Old 05-29-09 | 09:55 AM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 200000

Ryeno opens his trap a little too much, I agree. 'Girls what do you expect' sounds like sexism, and yeah I'm sure that LEXUSDAD chose this SC300 because if it got totaled it wouldn't be such a big hit on his wallet.
I'm 16 and if that happened to me, same exact thing would have happened.
Old 05-29-09 | 10:08 AM
Lexusdad
Rookie

Apologies to Ryeno if I came off to harsh.

I understand the issue with inexperienced drivers, but worked with her a lot on driving before turning her loose. She had her license back in June of 08. We did not let her drive alone until December 08. Bought the car after Christmas because she had exhibited good judgement and a sense of maturity (as much as most 16 yr olds do).

I knew for what I had in the car, ~$4,450, I could sell it and at least get my money back. If she wrecked it and it was her fault, and was beyond repair.....oh well. Wreck it and not her fault, hopefully break even. Plus the safety factor of the car, which I believe paid dividends Wednesday morning. With three kids (I have an 11 yr old son) you have to look at most every purchase for pluses and minuses, and go with the best option.

Jim
Old 05-29-09 | 10:23 AM
Toyboxx
Lead Lap

LEXUSDAD, if you dont mind me asking how much is insurance a month for your daughter, also who is your insurance through? BTW am glad your daughters are fine. I just turned 18 the day after mothers day and I will be purchasing an SC300 at the end of the summer, and I must say I love these cars more then any of the new cars on the road.
Old 05-29-09 | 10:29 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexusdad
Apologies to Ryeno if I came off to harsh.

I understand the issue with inexperienced drivers, but worked with her a lot on driving before turning her loose. She had her license back in June of 08. We did not let her drive alone until December 08. Bought the car after Christmas because she had exhibited good judgement and a sense of maturity (as much as most 16 yr olds do).

I knew for what I had in the car, ~$4,450, I could sell it and at least get my money back. If she wrecked it and it was her fault, and was beyond repair.....oh well. Wreck it and not her fault, hopefully break even. Plus the safety factor of the car, which I believe paid dividends Wednesday morning. With three kids (I have an 11 yr old son) you have to look at most every purchase for pluses and minuses, and go with the best option.

Jim

Jim you shouldn't need to apologise to someone for a dumb comment that was pretty off topic imo. If you have 3 children and some are of driving age already then i think you know what ur doing more or less. Just keep an eye out for another good SC and move forward, let us know what you come up on you should try and get a 97+ model

Last edited by YeA 2jZ; 05-29-09 at 10:33 AM.

Quick Reply: SC300, I hardly knew ya...