SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Got some rims, needs some suggestion for tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09 | 12:36 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Default Got some rims, needs some suggestion for tires

I picked up a set of rims yesterday and need some tires but have no idea what sizes to run. There 18x8,18x9 and the offsets are 38, what's the ideal tire size for these rims?
For the guys/gals that are using aftermarket rims - I know these tires aren't cheap and I would like to keep my tires as long as I can, just wanted to know are you using CAMBER kits? What kits are good?
Old 06-01-09 | 12:52 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

is the car lowered? are you going to lower it? do you want to run meaty tires? stretched tires? give some more info on what you wanna do.
Old 06-01-09 | 12:56 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

its lowered. I want tires that will fit the rim, not too stretched not too meaty. My buddy said I'm going to have to roll the fenders if I use these rims so I think there going to be wide enough where I dont need spacers..
Old 06-01-09 | 01:11 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Kumoh Ecsta's SPT's...excellent tires, and for a good price..
Old 06-01-09 | 01:22 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Kumoh Ecsta's SPT's...excellent tires, and for a good price..
Thanx for the suggestion but I'm looking more for tire SIZES..
Old 06-01-09 | 01:31 PM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

225 front, 245 rear
Old 06-01-09 | 01:36 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2turbo1sup
225 front, 245 rear
beat me to it...or 235 front and 255 rear..thats what I run on my car now on TT wheels.
Old 06-01-09 | 02:50 PM
stephenz
Rookie

245f 275r I got those on mine 18x10r 18x9f 22r 24f
Old 06-01-09 | 03:41 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

you may have to shave the rear but i doubt youll need a roll with that offset. depending on tire width too. id run a 225/40 front and a 235/40 rear. not stretched but not balloon either.
Old 06-01-09 | 03:56 PM
rpx13
Lead Lap

try this....and pls dont judge me till you try....for the last year half and a I've run Toyo Proxes, Nitto 555's, Strata's, and more recently the 452's from Falken...I run 225's up front and 245's in the rear stretched on a 9.5/10.5 rim....just a coupile weeks ago I was discussing tires with my tire guy and he told me try this brand called Diamondback (which I've heard of, but never experienced)...since they dont have the 225's up front i went with 235's instead...i don't know if I'm embarassed to say, BUT...so far they are pleasantly doing their job....they're much quieter than the 452's and grip better than the Proxes even in the rain (which we've had the last couple days in OC), the 555's are obviously more superior, but I can't convince myself to pay that much for a tire for only a couple thousand miles....my tread will never be even due to my camber, so i'm doing this purely as an experiment for the next 2-3k miles...I've only ran them about 250-300 miles total and their road habits might change thru time, but for what I paid for them I'm really grining from ear to ear....the damage: $350 for all 4 mounted and balanced...no joke!!!....please someone PROVE me wrong....not from what you hear or read, but from what you've experienced...

Last edited by rpx13; 06-01-09 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-01-09 | 04:09 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Again, thanx for the suggestions-I'll post some pics when I get them mounted..
Old 06-01-09 | 04:55 PM
LEXSTASY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rpx13
try this....and pls dont judge me till you try....for the last year half and a I've run Toyo Proxes, Nitto 555's, Strata's, and more recently the 452's from Falken...I run 225's up front and 245's in the rear stretched on a 9.5/10.5 rim....just a coupile weeks ago I was discussing tires with my tire guy and he told me try this brand called Diamondback (which I've heard of, but never experienced)...since they dont have the 225's up front i went with 235's instead...i don't know if I'm embarassed to say, BUT...so far they are pleasantly doing their job....they're much quieter than the 452's and grip better than the Proxes even in the rain (which we've had the last couple days in OC), the 555's are obviously more superior, but I can't convince myself to pay that much for a tire for only a couple thousand miles....my tread will never be even due to my camber, so i'm doing this purely as an experiment for the next 2-3k miles...I've only ran them about 250-300 miles total and their road habits might change thru time, but for what I paid for them I'm really grining from ear to ear....the damage: $350 for all 4 mounted and balanced...no joke!!!....please someone PROVE me wrong....not from what you hear or read, but from what you've experienced...
hahaha, no worries brother, im running the Diamondbacks too and all i have to say is wow. Ive had them for well over 5000 miles now and still no sign of wear yet. Im nearly slammed on megan coils btw loll and they grip amazingly. Their a new tire company so in order to get their name out, their still pretty cheap to buy. Got my 4 for $280 and im laughing my azz off at everyone who chases those name brand tires. Sure if u track the car or wat not, im sure ull notice a difference, but for everyday driving, they grip like a dream and their pure sticky rubber with an aggresive thread design. oh ya, im running 245/35/19 all around and couldnt be happier. The only thing, which isnt even a deal at all, is that they are a bit loud at speeds over 100-110. But i mean, if ur driving that fast, i dont think tire noise is going to be your biggest concern - highly recommend Diamondbacks, everyone should give them a shot, u cant go wrong for the price
Old 06-01-09 | 05:19 PM
rpx13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by V818RedSC
hahaha, no worries brother, im running the Diamondbacks too and all i have to say is wow. Ive had them for well over 5000 miles now and still no sign of wear yet. Im nearly slammed on megan coils btw loll and they grip amazingly. Their a new tire company so in order to get their name out, their still pretty cheap to buy. Got my 4 for $280 and im laughing my azz off at everyone who chases those name brand tires. Sure if u track the car or wat not, im sure ull notice a difference, but for everyday driving, they grip like a dream and their pure sticky rubber with an aggresive thread design. oh ya, im running 245/35/19 all around and couldnt be happier. The only thing, which isnt even a deal at all, is that they are a bit loud at speeds over 100-110. But i mean, if ur driving that fast, i dont think tire noise is going to be your biggest concern - highly recommend Diamondbacks, everyone should give them a shot, u cant go wrong for the price
^^totally agree...from what i've been hearing, they're a chinese subdivision of Goodyear and ur right, theyre relatively new. Even my tire guy runs them on his 5 series and says he couldnt be happier. So far, those who have run this tire have had nothing but good things to say about it....
Old 06-01-09 | 06:20 PM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stephenz
245f 275r I got those on mine 18x10r 18x9f 22r 24f
Did you even bother reading the thread?
Old 06-01-09 | 06:24 PM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rpx13
wider with = more traction

Nitto 555s are horrible on wet pavement. I wont even consider those tires anymore since they suck, they're expensive, and they are mediocre in performance at best.

I might consider those Diamondbacks for my daily driver setup. I hope they have my sizes.

Quick Reply: Got some rims, needs some suggestion for tires