SC300/400 As First Car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 11:16 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Is an sc a good first car? yes and no

no because the gas mileage isnt good and no because since its your first car you will hit something.
You were going good at first but then you said, you will hit something? Totally false you wont hit something what if someone hits you? Just because its his first car does NOT mean he is going to get into an accident.

I say either a 240 and a SC, no rx7

I say 240 because, lots of aftermarket looks great and decent on the gas plus they are extremely cheap.. its just the rust issue KA's are built for reliability.

Sc they look nice built like tanks, its a lexus more comfort. Horrible on gas but you gotta pay to play no? They are also built for reliability some guy went 600k miles.

Plus you can 1jz/2jz and be more safe than KA-T or sr20dets/rb thanks to fast and furious 240s are getting popped like nothing.

Rx7- seals break all the time, overheatting is a issue also they may look nice but reliability afraid not. Nearly throwing 2k around every 60k miles isnt that fun.

sr20dets are around 2k+
1jz1.5-2.5k
2jz 2.5k+

Either way you cannot go wrong with 240 or SC, save rx7 for when you have a steady income.
Old 06-02-09, 11:39 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well the current sc that i have now is my first car and man o man I LOVE IT!!! i rushed into buying it...which i kinda regret becuz it was either the sc that i have now or another 5 speed sc...mine is auto which i HATE!!! but i seemed to adapt to it and love it!!!
If the sc is clean it doesnt take alot to make it look Baller!!!
check this out
when i first got her

and now
Old 06-03-09, 12:58 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 1995 SC300 is my first car. I've had it for 10 months and I LOVE it. Built very solid and gets plenty of compliments from my friends...and the ladies (if that's important to you at all). You also have CL as an excellent resource/community and there's a large following for parts, both OEM and aftermarket.

Just MAKE SURE you don't dive into it and buy a piece of crap. Patience is the key when shopping for a used car that didn't have it's wheels driven off. There weren't many options, so focus on color combination. Black interior ftw.

Last edited by felixsc300; 06-03-09 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-03-09, 02:56 AM
BigLSC4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like everyone else says, an SC is a great first car. Just make sure its been maintained and they will last for over 200K easily. Lexus dealerships can search service history if you give them the VIN number.

Stay away from RX-7s, especially if you plan to buy it as a daily driver. I bought a FD back in August last year. 1994 twin turbo w/ low mileage and in excellent condition. I love the car, but its spent more time in the shop than in my garage.
Old 06-03-09, 06:30 AM
djb5118
Lead Lap

I am actually going to go against the grain here...

I don't think the sc is that great of a first car. i personally dont think that for a new driver RWD is the best decision. Also, the OP is in Massachusetts...not exactly the best weather all year round. Most of the replies to this have been from people in places like California, Florida, etc...places that have pretty good weather (not tons of snow/ice) all year round. Coming from a guy who lives in the Northeast, I wouldn't want to drive my SC year-round (and I dont). The bad weather conditions, combined with the RWD, is a recipie for disaster for a new driver.

It is true, these cars run very well for a long time...but there is more to a first car than running reliably.

I know that my children will have something slow and fwd as their first car. You also have to realize that you are in high school (assumption). In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter what you drive, especially at that time in your life imo. Buy something cheap, reliable, and fwd then save your money up so that you can buy something worthwhile down the road.

If you really are set on modding your first car (another thing I am not super supportive of), there are a bunch of FWD with aftermarket potential...
Check out:
Civics, Integras, Accords, Corollas, Subarus, Maxima, VW etc...

Last edited by djb5118; 06-03-09 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-03-09, 08:36 AM
blazin_1
Driver School Candidate

as a first car, definitely don't go with REX. it can be an awesome car especially when modded. but the dawn thing is so tempermental that it a pain to maintain. it usually turns out to be a money pit, if not cared for properly.

if your heart is set on getting a RWD drive car get a 240, dirt cheap to maintain and easily modded.
Old 06-03-09, 09:41 AM
MotoSC
Driver

i'd say get an SC. Ton of luxury complimented with power and a large aftermarket following. I would suggest not getting a WRX due to the high insurance costs. In Michigan that's number two followed closely by the IS300

Any who that's my 2 cents!
Old 06-03-09, 10:44 AM
Ryeno
Banned

I completely missed the fact that hes in MA, ya def dont get an SC. It will be really hard to find a good condition one since the sc market is basically california and florida. Plus the car handles horribly on rain/snow. I grew up in michigan so i have experience driving on the snow in my old fwd car. Well the first time i drove the sc300 in the rain i started sliding. Its def not a good car to learn on or drive year round.
Old 06-03-09, 10:56 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

go with the SC. good looks, reliability, and tons of aftermarket support.
Old 06-03-09, 11:20 AM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ryeno
I completely missed the fact that hes in MA, ya def dont get an SC. It will be really hard to find a good condition one since the sc market is basically california and florida. Plus the car handles horribly on rain/snow. I grew up in michigan so i have experience driving on the snow in my old fwd car. Well the first time i drove the sc300 in the rain i started sliding. Its def not a good car to learn on or drive year round.
Driving like a normal person in rain won't make you slide. You will be fine with an SC anywhere. Many of our members live where there is snow \ lots of rain.
Drive like a normal person under harsh conditions and nothing serious will happen. If you decide to floor your car in the rain, the outcome might not be good.
Old 06-03-09, 11:28 AM
93sc3005sp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got my 93 sc300 5spd for 1000 as my first car, i have put a little work into it and i love it
Old 06-03-09, 12:00 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by Amini9
Driving like a normal person in rain won't make you slide. You will be fine with an SC anywhere. Many of our members live where there is snow \ lots of rain.
Drive like a normal person under harsh conditions and nothing serious will happen. If you decide to floor your car in the rain, the outcome might not be good.
I disagree with that, like i said i have experience driving in a michigan snow storm, so i aint your average socal person who needs chains to get to bear. And even for me the car still handles like crap in the rain. Making a sharp turn is dangerous. Both my 300 and my old 400 were like this and the mk4 people say the same thing so its def the car.

I like the sc but i'm blinded by that to deny its faults.
Old 06-03-09, 12:08 PM
drifter x
Pole Position

Either way you cannot go wrong with 240 or SC, save rx7 for when you have a steady income.[/QUOTE]

i agree! thats why i have both
Old 06-03-09, 12:16 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Asha'man
Dude, it's his first car. Take it easy with the mods lol. And you should probably check some of your info. A 1JZ swap is not that expensive, and there's no reason it shouldn't be street legal unless one tunes it poorly and has no cats (or lives in Commiefornia). You downtalk an NA-T setup for being hard to tune, but talk up a turbo'd B16 as a good candidate? And everyone wants to drive a gutted tin can Honda as their first car, right?
The only thing Im saying is that if he wants to go fast, he needs a cheap car with really good aftermarket support. Supra speed costs supra money which most SC owners don't have.

NA-T, 1JZ, 2JZ-GTE, these are all expensive and will not be as fast as a turbo'd Honda unless you can afford to drop way more money. Being his first car, I doubt that will happen.

Like I said, if he wants a quick(not really fast) luxury car, buy a vvti sc400. If he wants a really fast car (IMO) turbo Honda is the way.

Last edited by QwkSC; 06-03-09 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-03-09, 12:20 PM
TankMR
Lead Lap

Its a good solid car. People on here tricked me though. I see SCs do "run" forever but everything/anything else that doesnt have to do with the engine will go wrong. Namely suspension

Quick Reply: SC300/400 As First Car?