SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300/400 As First Car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-09, 12:51 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TankMR
Its a good solid car. People on here tricked me though. I see SCs do "run" forever but everything/anything else that doesnt have to do with the engine will go wrong. Namely suspension
engine will last forever. nothing else
Old 06-03-09, 12:56 PM
djb5118
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ryeno
I disagree with that, like i said i have experience driving in a michigan snow storm, so i aint your average socal person who needs chains to get to bear. And even for me the car still handles like crap in the rain. Making a sharp turn is dangerous. Both my 300 and my old 400 were like this and the mk4 people say the same thing so its def the car.

I like the sc but i'm blinded by that to deny its faults.
Im with you man, I would not want to drive my SC in the snow. This is especailly something that I don't think a beginner driver should have to deal with either...for their safety and the people around them.

Not to mention, a RWD is a terrible platform for snow driving from an engineering standpoint. Front weight bias and rear drive = lots of spinning wheels on snow or ice.

I just find it ironic that people in warmer states are commenting about the SCs ability to handle in foul weather....

Last edited by djb5118; 06-03-09 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-03-09, 01:00 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Its a good solid car. People on here tricked me though. I see SCs do "run" forever but everything/anything else that doesnt have to do with the engine will go wrong. Namely suspension
What do you mean "tricked"? Cars are made of parts not magic. Just because the cars didnt have a manufacture defect (e.g. 7m blown headgasket) doesnt mean they will run forever; Parts break.

Last edited by Ryeno; 06-03-09 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-03-09, 01:00 PM
Jeembo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by djb5118
Im with you man, I would not want to drive my SC in the snow. This is especailly something that I don't think a beginner driver should have to deal with either...for their safety and the people around them.
Absolutely. I've driven in the snow of MN for about 8 years now (my SC saw this last winter) and it's honestly a miracle I didn't get stuck or get into an accident this winter with my SC. A brand new driver will have no chance driving an SC in the snow unless you feel like running chains, if that's even legal (it's not here). ESPECIALLY if you want to go "fast". Stay away from RWD.

Not cool. My ES300, on the other hand... that thing plowed through the snow like it was on rails.

Last edited by Jeembo; 06-03-09 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-03-09, 01:03 PM
djb5118
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jeembo
Absolutely. I've driven in the snow of MN for about 8 years now (my SC saw this last winter) and it's honestly a miracle I didn't get stuck or get into an accident this winter with my SC. A brand new driver will have no chance driving an SC in the snow unless you feel like running chains, if that's even legal (it's not here). ESPECIALLY if you want to go "fast". Stay away from RWD.
FINALLY! Someone else with some first hand experience driving an SC in the snow!
Old 06-03-09, 01:57 PM
phatjo911
Driver School Candidate

I completely realize the weather problem, I was in my dad's Toyota ( FWD,I was not driving ) and we made a ~90 degree turn and we weren't even going that fast, there was a light coating of snow on the road and we spun ~ 45 degrees. Luckily we were the only ones on the road....

Really, if I get a car before I go off to college, I probably will NOT drive anything FWD OR RWD in the winter. Whatever car I get will probably be in storage for the winter. The only thing I would really feel safe driving is a Subaru with Blizzak's...
Old 06-03-09, 04:15 PM
FiSta
Lead Lap

as a first car, don't think an older SC is such a good idea, unless it's a newer, previously well maintained one. I personally think you have to have time, patience, and knowledge when dealing with an older SC. They can be money pits, not because of mods, but because you'll be blind sided with maintenance issues left and right.

Originally Posted by djb5118
I am actually going to go against the grain here...

I don't think the sc is that great of a first car. i personally dont think that for a new driver RWD is the best decision. Also, the OP is in Massachusetts...not exactly the best weather all year round. Most of the replies to this have been from people in places like California, Florida, etc...places that have pretty good weather (not tons of snow/ice) all year round. Coming from a guy who lives in the Northeast, I wouldn't want to drive my SC year-round (and I dont). The bad weather conditions, combined with the RWD, is a recipie for disaster for a new driver.

It is true, these cars run very well for a long time...but there is more to a first car than running reliably.

I know that my children will have something slow and fwd as their first car. You also have to realize that you are in high school (assumption). In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter what you drive, especially at that time in your life imo. Buy something cheap, reliable, and fwd then save your money up so that you can buy something worthwhile down the road.

If you really are set on modding your first car (another thing I am not super supportive of), there are a bunch of FWD with aftermarket potential...
Check out:
Civics, Integras, Accords, Corollas, Subarus, Maxima, VW etc...
+1
Old 06-03-09, 05:04 PM
Vortes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Turbo_LX
sc is lux yo! i personally had a 240sx don't get me wrong it's a fun car to drive but everyday i hear a new noise somewhere i my car that i quite pinpoint where. You well hear no sound in an SC (if the previous owner didn't abuse it that is)
wait till you get to 200k+, the noises begin to come lol
Old 06-03-09, 05:46 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by QwkSC
The only thing Im saying is that if he wants to go fast, he needs a cheap car with really good aftermarket support. Supra speed costs supra money which most SC owners don't have.

NA-T, 1JZ, 2JZ-GTE, these are all expensive and will not be as fast as a turbo'd Honda unless you can afford to drop way more money. Being his first car, I doubt that will happen.

Like I said, if he wants a quick(not really fast) luxury car, buy a vvti sc400. If he wants a really fast car (IMO) turbo Honda is the way.
If he wants to go fast for cheap, a 2.3T Fox Mustang is the way to go. Honduhs are not ideal to make fast due to the open-deck blocks, tiny displacement, ZERO torque, etc. Plus they're wrong-wheel drive, and FWD just sucks.
Old 06-03-09, 06:23 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FiSta
as a first car, don't think an older SC is such a good idea, unless it's a newer, previously well maintained one. I personally think you have to have time, patience, and knowledge when dealing with an older SC. They can be money pits, not because of mods, but because you'll be blind sided with maintenance issues left and right.

+1
A properly maintained older SC is just as good as a newer one. I have a 92 SC,16yrs old, and have only 1 problem. (a/c)
Old 06-03-09, 07:48 PM
TankMR
Lead Lap

What do you mean "tricked"? Cars are made of parts not magic. Just because the cars didnt have a manufacture defect (e.g. 7m blown headgasket) doesnt mean they will run forever; Parts break.

Yeah I understand that. Tricked was the wrong word. Like the other guy said, the maintenance aspect of this vehicle involves ALOT of issues.
Old 06-04-09, 07:32 AM
djb5118
Lead Lap

Yeah I understand that. Tricked was the wrong word. Like the other guy said, the maintenance aspect of this vehicle involves ALOT of issues.
not if you bought the right car from the beginning
Old 06-05-09, 02:22 PM
phatjo911
Driver School Candidate

How is the rust issue on these cars? Obviously it is a 15 year old car, but it is a lexus, right?

The 240's are rust buckets so...

how are SC's on rust>?
Old 06-05-09, 02:31 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phatjo911
How is the rust issue on these cars? Obviously it is a 15 year old car, but it is a lexus, right?

The 240's are rust buckets so...

how are SC's on rust>?
Think about this: cars rust because they aren't well taken care of.

A 240 in your experience has rust because of who its driven by: a younger person who parks on the street most likely and daily drives the car.

An SC is a luxury car, which means its previous owner was more likely to have kept it washed, and in the garage, and not have driven in winter.
Old 06-05-09, 02:53 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

The SC300/400 is a great starter car..in the southern states. Here in the midwest, or in the north..snow is a huge problem. I love my SC..but for a first car? Not too good. Just this year, my mom sold her Chrysler Sebring Convt. so she drives our Tahoe everyday..in the winter she would drive the sebring because its fwd, an I'd drive the Tahoe to school. Honestly, since you live in an area where it snows, and if gas mileage isnt a huge problem, get a 4wd truck for your first ride. SC+Snow=BAD If i were you, id look for a used K5 pickup/blazer and then once you buy one for cheap, save up for an SC400 for a summer/weekend/highway ride. This Last winter, i drove my SC all thru..and it was a disaster..our highschools parking lot is pretty steep..and i couldnt get up it with my traction control on, or off. My driveway is VERY steep(if i go up too fast i scrape) and i can show you a picture of what happens when the snow is gone and you are on bare concrete :P. I left for work one day, TRAC on, going very slow..and i fishtailed and broke a rim and threw my alignment WAY off ( i was doing about 10mph too..)..so as a conclusion, YES if you live in CA, TX, or anywhere where there isnt any snow..NO if you live where it snows or gets even icy

If you dont want a truck..take this into consideration..SUBARU..my cousin bought a used..like 2000 somethin WRX for under 10,000..its quick too..and AWD(he lives in colorado) so its great in the snow

Quick Reply: SC300/400 As First Car?