SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just Ordered A Torque Converter For My SC400

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-02, 09:06 AM
whosdady
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Just Ordered A Torque Converter For My SC400

I get it on Friday and will install it on Saturday. I will post the results. I chose the mid stall opposed to the high stall. I think swift said it starts at 2900 (RPM) instead of the high stall which is like 3500. The lower stall is more streetable and easier on the transmission.

Currently I have a K&N intake, Weapon R ECU and a straight pipe where the center resonator used to be.

Hopefully the TC will make a big difference. Otherwise, I will buy another supra TT for my daily driver.
Old 03-27-02, 10:46 AM
quick
Pole Position

Are you disappointed in the performance of your SC400?
Old 03-27-02, 11:55 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You'll love the TC. I have the high stall unit - Love it. With you're upgrades, you'll have a hard time keeping traction off the line; bet thats why Mo reccomended the lower stall unit..

Keith
Old 03-27-02, 12:29 PM
Lvangundy

Not too familiar w/ these things, but I heard that torque convertors aren't really recommended for daily drivers because you have to punch on the gas so much to get the engine to go.

Isn't there something called a 'drop off line' or something, like at 3000 RPM's is where the transmission kicks in or whatever?

Like I said, I'm not too informed about this stuff. Can anyone explain this better?
Old 03-27-02, 12:50 PM
whosdady
Rookie

Bean, I'm sure you face the same problems. I drive the BPU ++++Supra (soon to be SP 60/63) on the weekends and the SC400 daily to work. When Monday comes around after driving the Supra all weekend I start having withdrawel.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the SC. However off the line it has nothing. Hopefully the TC will help.

Keith, I hope it's as great as you say. It was from your comments and other posts that I finally decided to get this done. I will let you know my initially thoughts as soon as I get it installed. I beleive I have a year to replace the medium stall with the high stall from PI.
Old 03-27-02, 12:57 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you're talking to quick

I haven't replied to this thread... yet

I'm also debating a jump over to a SupraTT. I'm going to add up the costs of all the mods including the supporting junk and what it will offer me on the SC3. If I'm not satisfied; I'll be getting a 95 SupraTT
Old 03-27-02, 01:47 PM
whosdady
Rookie

Sorry Bean, I was thinking about replying to another post you made. For some reason I confused you and quick.

Anyway, you will love the supra. I just needed an automatic for my daily driver and the SC400 seemed like a good choice. Don't get me wrong I like it but I need a little more pick up to go with the luxury and comfort.

Last edited by whosdady; 03-27-02 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-27-02, 02:15 PM
quick
Pole Position

Originally posted by whosdady
I'm sure you face the same problems. I drive the BPU ++++Supra (soon to be SP 60/63) on the weekends and the SC400 daily to work. When Monday comes around after driving the Supra all weekend I start having withdrawel.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the SC. However off the line it has nothing. Hopefully the TC will help.
You're right. I'm in the same boat.
Thanks for the insight.

My plan is to daily drive an SC400 as well, so this is good information for me. Thx.
Old 03-28-02, 05:04 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Originally posted by lvangundy
Not too familiar w/ these things, but I heard that torque convertors aren't really recommended for daily drivers because you have to punch on the gas so much to get the engine to go.

Isn't there something called a 'drop off line' or something, like at 3000 RPM's is where the transmission kicks in or whatever?

Like I said, I'm not too informed about this stuff. Can anyone explain this better?

These are all just myths. If you drive the car normally, the TC will act just like stock. But when you hammer it; thats when the grin comes on. Remember, it slips under low throttle, keeping the stock smoothness.

If anyone were to drive the car normally, they would never notice the High stall TC; except for the fact that the car reallly doesn't go anywhere when you take your foot off the brake; its a very slow roll. Its only when you hit it hard does it become obvious. And when you do hit the gas hard, its like you're driving a whole new car. And also, it does not affect the shifting of the car. The TC only affects the launch, thats all. Doesn't seem like a lot, but just wait and see. W/ the TC installed, if you drive it like stock, it will act like stock. But when you need to unleash some off the line response, its ALWAYS there.

I personally think Lexus should put a higher stall in stock cars.

whosdady:

I hope your lower stall has the same grin-forming power as the high stall unit. Keep us informed of how it goes.
Old 03-28-02, 07:04 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Default Installation?

I'm thinking about getting a TC, too. I just don't have a clue what it takes to install it. Is it something the 'average guy' can do, or should I take it to a mechanic? Do the TC's come with detailed installation instructions?

Just have no idea where I should take my car to have it installed. When I take my car to a mechanic here, first thing they usually ask is 'nice car - what is it?'
Old 03-28-02, 07:56 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acctis, swapping out the converter is a pretty straightforward procedure, but very time consuming. You'll have to separate the trans from the engine completely, so unless you have a lift with a tranny jack, etc, I suggest you pay a competent shop to do it.
- Jon
Old 03-28-02, 09:46 AM
Keith13b
Racer

If you can change a clutch in a manual, then you can change the TC. If you can't, then bring it to a mechanic. Personally, I think its pretty simple, just time consuming. Depends on your tools, and mechanical ability.

Keith
Old 03-28-02, 10:27 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

No lift, no tranny jack, no mechanical abilities

Guess I need to 'pay a competent shop'. Paying is not the problem though ... I'm more worried about the 'competent'.
Old 03-28-02, 11:43 AM
whosdady
Rookie

The converter came a day early. I took the car to the shop today. I should have the car tomorrow. I will post later.

The shop said it would take between 4-5 hours.
Old 03-28-02, 05:10 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acctis, I know EXACTLY what you mean.
- Jon

Quick Reply: Just Ordered A Torque Converter For My SC400