SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Good pick up or no?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-09, 06:12 PM
imarshall
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good pick up or no?

Ive been looking for, and still looking for an SC for a while. Syumbled across an old friend who seems to have a deal.. need some insight and help!

Its a 93 SC300 SHELL auto w/116k miles. Black w/tan interior.

basically, the car looks like this right now.

not the actual pic, just a pic I found of another shell.

car looks just like that with some chrome rims.

The exterior has no dents at all. Paint just needs a good buff for now. Interior... the two front seats are done.. but maybe I can find two replacements? Is it easy to find? Steering wheel is eh..

He wants $1200 for that.

He also has a low mileage 2jz for $600.

Hopefully I can beat him down to $1600 or so for both. I will be doing the work myself. Anyway! Is this worth the effort? is dropping the engine in any different than it would be on a honda? (I have done many honda swaps)

I have a total of 5500 to spend on this project to bring this car to a running stance, and looking right. I do plan on painting the car black. Probably that onyx black the sc's came with. Im assuming with the body in the good condition it's in.. that would be about $1500 or so? (Im asking many questions here so sorry guys lol)

I really just would like a front lip or something and thats about it seeing as all the nice kits (Auto Couture Aero Kit) cost almost 3g's.

Anyway, Thanks guys for all the help.. I'll try to get pics of the original car soon.
Old 06-04-09, 06:40 PM
Ryeno
Banned

basically the question is how much money are you okay with throwing into the car? if the answer is unlimited then its a good buy if not just wait.
Old 06-04-09, 06:48 PM
imarshall
Pole Position

Pretty willing to throw in any amount of money. But for now, the amount I have is just to get the car running and looking a bit proper.
Old 06-04-09, 07:10 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by imarshall
Pretty willing to throw in any amount of money. But for now, the amount I have is just to get the car running and looking a bit proper.
The truth is if you have to ask the answer is prob. no

but for now is the key phrase, when you are buying a bad condition car, you have to expect everything is wrong. You have no idea what it will take to get the car "up and running." My sc400 right now runs, does that mean i will drive it, HELL NO. If you dont have unlimited funds, dont buy it. Save yourself the hassle and headache and just get a good condition car.
Old 06-04-09, 07:21 PM
Vortes
Lead Lap

a messed up shell isnt worth 1200, i know for a fact there is a real nice looking sc300 in the classifieds thats already turbod for under your budget, or at least close to it, if you want it to be a project get an unmolested one for real cheap and work on it, with a shell you dont know what the hell could be wrong.

Last edited by Vortes; 06-04-09 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-04-09, 07:35 PM
imarshall
Pole Position

I never thought of it that way really. You guys are right I guess. I was already done with my shopping list of things I would need and want, and looking over.. I see that I really prefer a 97 anyway. I would have changed this 92 completely to a 97 so I guess I'll just look out for a clean 97 or something. I guess I just needed some advice from owners of sc's themselves. I'll still get some pics of everything and post it here tomorrow for you guys. Maybe with the pics you'll have a better idea also! :P

Last edited by imarshall; 06-04-09 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-05-09, 01:56 AM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

I never thought of it that way really. You guys are right I guess. I was already done with my shopping list of things I would need and want, and looking over.. I see that I really prefer a 97 anyway. I would have changed this 92 completely to a 97 so I guess I'll just look out for a clean 97 or something. I guess I just needed some advice from owners of sc's themselves. I'll still get some pics of everything and post it here tomorrow for you guys. Maybe with the pics you'll have a better idea also! :P
Good decision! For another $1-$2k on top of that $5500 you can get a real clean,problem free 97+ and a OEM 400 lip mounted and painted to complete the look of the car
Old 06-05-09, 02:21 AM
renren7
Lead Lap

do yourself a favor and get a clean, running car... 97+ shouldnt be (imo) your priority, but look for a clean, accident free, good interior, well maintained sc, then start working on it... like me =D

I'd spend money on other stuff first before you go to the ac 3k kit, stuff like wheels, brakes, suspension, if u dont care about those then yea go ahead and search for a 97+ sc then buy the ac kit then u get what you want.. but slowing modding the car into what you want is fun too =D
Old 06-05-09, 07:20 AM
Jay-Balrog
Driver

if you have to put a motor in it do the world a favor and save up for the 1jz and a manual thats definitely part of the criteria in 'doing it right' imo specially if its a shell when you get it.

5500 you say... i say it can definitely be done depending on what you mean by 'looking good and running '

lets estimate

car 1200
1j motor/tranny plus misc parts and crap, filters, gaskets, fluids $2000 (it can be had for less but lets estimate that much.)

WISE front lip from ebay. 200 shipped

paint is probably what would eat up most of your money depending where you go...that can run anywhere from a few hundred bucks to 5/6k.

lets say its 1500..which depending on where you live and who you know can get you a pretty good paintjob

thats 4900

assuming EVERYTHING else works on the car. and theres no suspension issues or electrical problems or anything like that.

youll have a running, decent looking car with 100 bucks left for gas an air freshner and a meal at arby's
Old 06-05-09, 11:29 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Jay-Balrog their isnt enough wiggle room in that estimate. One unforeseen problem and you are out of budget. Come on what are the odds a rolling shell isnt going to have frame or suspension damage? The 2jz-ge and w58 arent exactly big ticket items. If someone is parting out that car then their is something seriously wrong.
Old 06-05-09, 12:08 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

cost me $600 (installation) + 60 bucks (parts) for changing the front bushings. (lower and upper)

so that's only one thing that could be wrong with it. there could be a thousand other things that are going to be expensive..
Old 06-05-09, 01:08 PM
jdm93400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i def think u shoukd get this ar eu crazy not to. i mean think about it almost everything for less then wat u can find a runnin one
Old 06-05-09, 05:41 PM
imarshall
Pole Position

I actually put a deposit on one today. black on black 5spd. thanks for making me hold out guys.