SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

lip options for 92-96

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09 | 01:10 AM
romycha1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by P.R.S.22
Here you go.....civic type r lip. Mind you its not painted yet. Should be done in a few weeks. Oh and yes it will fit a 92-96 SC as well.

Does that lip fit perfect? Or do you need to do some trimming?
Old 06-10-09 | 01:24 AM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go.....civic type r lip. Mind you its not painted yet. Should be done in a few weeks. Oh and yes it will fit a 92-96 SC as well.
I thought 97+ bumper were wider than 92-96.. Which is why there are many DIY threads to fit 92-96 OEM lip on 97+ bumber!?
Old 06-10-09 | 03:18 AM
DJ XO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by One_jZ_SC3
If you dont have a kit then I say just go OEM with the SC4 lip..Nothing cleaner when painted to match the car color:::::

Question . . How well does paint stick to the stock 400 lip? I'm debating on that, or the"Wise" lip. I prefer no kit aside from that. (and maybe the snazzy little baby wing over the rear window)
Old 06-10-09 | 08:01 AM
richesmoua
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by romycha1
I think you have to trim the center piece of the lip because the actual type r lip has another flat piece that moves in towards the center duct of the bumper.

IMO, the stock sc lip is the way to go. I do like the other lip types, but I don't like the quality of fiberglass, unless someone out there makes urethane lips for the sc i don't know of.

Last edited by richesmoua; 06-10-09 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-10-09 | 02:08 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by richesmoua
now that is unique. I never thought that would fit like that...I would like to see it on the 92-96 model bumper. Actually, maybe I can be the first one to try it.
If you check out my thread that is called (Couple of Mods in the works) you will see step by step how I have got this lip to fit. Since my 97 bumper is larger than a 92-96 bumper I had to cut it in half and extend it with an aluminum plate, bondo, sand, add filler, and prime it. There is another member on this forum who has the mugen lip on a 92-96 SC and I don't think he had to cut it at all, just bend it a little to fit the bumper.

Originally Posted by romycha1
In the pics that is how the lip fits with nothing holding it onto the car so it fits pretty good like that. However, you can see that the very ends are a little off the car but when I actually push it in like I really want it and rivet it to the car then it will be flush to the bumper with no gap whatsoever.

It just sucks because I have literally had this lip done for over a month and the reason its not on the car is the paint. At least now I have it and hopefully by next week it will be painted and on the ride for everyone to see whether they like it or not.

Originally Posted by uras300
I thought 97+ bumper were wider than 92-96.. Which is why there are many DIY threads to fit 92-96 OEM lip on 97+ bumber!?
You are correct....the 97+ bumper is wider than the 92-96. Like I said above this reply I think the type R lip and mugen lip fit the 92-96 SC with no cutting, just a little bending. If you want a lip to fit a 97+ bumper you will have to cut it in half and extend it with a piece of aluminum.

I think you have to trim the center piece of the lip because the actual type r lip has another flat piece that moves in towards the center duct of the bumper.

The type R lip I have is not authentic. I don't think I did that on mine. I literally cut it in half, grinded down the top since that is where you would normally bolt it onto the car, put an aluminum piece in the middle and riveted in place, etc...

IMO, the stock sc lip is the way to go. I do like the other lip types, but I don't like the quality of fiberglass, unless someone out there makes urethane lips for the sc i don't know of.
The type R lip I have is urethane.....one of the reasons I bought it. I said to myself, "I want a lip that is not fiberglass, cheap, has fairly decent lines, and will not cost me hundreds of dollars." This was my reasoning to get the lip so if it doesn't work out I only lost like 70 bucks and I gave it a try for the SC community as an alternative front lip that is affordable.
Old 06-10-09 | 02:26 PM
richesmoua
Driver School Candidate

I was wondering if the integra type r itr lip would fit?
Old 06-10-09 | 02:32 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

I was wondering if the integra type r itr lip would fit?
Has not been proven yet on CL but you could be the first one to try it!!!
Old 06-10-09 | 02:43 PM
msc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im all for new idea's dont care where its from as long as it flows well with the car and looks good
Old 06-10-09 | 02:53 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by msc300
im all for new idea's dont care where its from as long as it flows well with the car and looks good
My thoughts as well....
Old 06-10-09 | 05:39 PM
DJ XO
Pole Position

hmmm
Old 06-10-09 | 07:19 PM
Jay-Balrog
Driver

you know what....thats a hell of an idea.

knockoff urethane honda lips are like 50/60 bucks a piece all over the place....

im gona have to get the measuring tape out and start doing some research.

for what year civic is that?
Old 06-10-09 | 07:59 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats really creative. +1 u will get flamed but thats bad a$$
Old 06-10-09 | 10:13 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jay-Balrog
you know what....thats a hell of an idea.

knockoff urethane honda lips are like 50/60 bucks a piece all over the place....

im gona have to get the measuring tape out and start doing some research.

for what year civic is that?
Now your starting to think outside the box It really is a smart idea. It polyurethane so its very durable. Civic stuff is all over the place for real cheap. If you wanted to you could take the type r lip and shave down the sides where they kind of come out from the lip. If you do that then you would pretty much have the SC4 lip, a flat polyurethane lip that cost you only 50 bucks. The reason I did not do that to mine is because I wanted to see how this looks first and if I don't like the sides sticking out then I will shave them down and repaint it again till its what I want. The civic lip is for a 96-98.

Originally Posted by t70 supra
thats really creative. +1 u will get flamed but thats bad a$$
Haha....well surprisingly in the thread that I have where I'm showing the step by step process everyone pretty much loved the lip and I was not really getting flamed for it at all. I think once it is painted it will blend in more and will just be another lip option that won't look too bad for a relatively cheap price. I think this could be a break through for the SC group since front lips are very expensive and for those who want something different who love to do things themselves.

At the end of the day its my car and my style. If I like it then it stays and if not then it goes away. That's whats so great about CL.....everyone has their own unique taste and flavor on the exact same car. It's what separates us from the rest of the crowd. If its different and you like it go for it is what I always say
Old 06-10-09 | 10:45 PM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DJ XO
Question . . How well does paint stick to the stock 400 lip? I'm debating on that, or the"Wise" lip. I prefer no kit aside from that. (and maybe the snazzy little baby wing over the rear window)
Had the lip painted for about 2 years and its not fading or paint is not chipping...only scratches from everyday driving....
Old 06-11-09 | 07:18 AM
Anthony85
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by One_jZ_SC3
Had the lip painted for about 2 years and its not fading or paint is not chipping...only scratches from everyday driving....
That's why I was scared to paint mine own.... I did not want to go through flaking paint or anything so I just left it alone the way it is....

Quick Reply: lip options for 92-96