SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Door panel repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09, 09:13 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Aliga is another great option for a "used" part. I have bought a bunch of stuff from him myself and always treated great.

Shane
Old 06-10-09, 09:22 PM
lawrenceO
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Asha'man
What's perspex? And was your DIY 'glass kit specifically for this application, or just general cloth/resin stuff? Any pics of your reinforcement efforts?
Perspex : 'Tough, flexible, and translucent it was an alternative to glass and was widely used in the Second World War for aircraft cockpits. Other design uses include transparent rulers, protractors, and recipe holders, transparent furniture, lighting, and jewellery. It is marketed in the United States as Plexiglass and Lucite'

And it was generic hardware store fibreglass kit.

I do have photo's, will look them out when I get home.
Old 06-11-09, 08:41 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SSmith
$140.00 is for the lower portion but that consist of most of what he was talking about. The door panel comes a part in two sections. The upper part is a lot more expensive but mine were in great shape so I only had to replace the bottom. I believe the part number for one of mine (tan) is 71812-24040-08. This picture is from the Carson site and they have the bottom piece listed at $200.00. Sewell was cheaper. I think the upper door piece is around $500.00

Hope that's clarification enough. If not feel free to call Reagan at Sewell (214) 353-2056 for "complete" clarification.
That's great info. Just one last bit of clarification - the part that you bought was the #7 part in the picture you posted? Sewell has that listed for $250, at least in black. I think I can get by with just that; the rest is okay (see below).

Originally Posted by lawrenceO
Perspex : 'Tough, flexible, and translucent it was an alternative to glass and was widely used in the Second World War for aircraft cockpits. Other design uses include transparent rulers, protractors, and recipe holders, transparent furniture, lighting, and jewellery. It is marketed in the United States as Plexiglass and Lucite'

And it was generic hardware store fibreglass kit.

I do have photo's, will look them out when I get home.
Thanks for not posting a "Let Me Google That For You" link. It was late or I would have thought to look it up myself. Would much appreciate any photos you can provide of your project.

Here are the pics I took tonight. They're from my phone, so not the greatest, but they work.

You can see what I'm working with here. The lower main section is pretty much done for, and would take more fiberglassing than I'm expert with to regain even some of its former glory. My armrest pad is okay, and the main panel is intact except for a few ripped-out holes, which I can 'glass or just use fender washers. The wood pieces are intact but are delaminating, but I think a little epoxy or heavy duty wood glue will fix that. The window frame piece, as you can see, is broken in half, and all three mounting holes on the bottom are snapped off, as well as one of the tabs that clips into the white clips on the top of the doorframe. I swear, I couldn't **** up a door panel worse if I tried, but apparently the PO tried harder.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking I may just 'glass the main panel to repair the holes. Might try putting a rod and some 'glass and/or resin into the lower part of the window frame piece, and just try to track down a good secondary panel section. Oh, and I'm missing my entire light assembly, too, so I'll need to track that down.
Old 06-11-09, 11:25 PM
lawrenceO
Driver

Juheesus those parts are a mess.....!

If you can afford the $200 for the lower section I say go for it. The upper section should be repairable - based on what you have said. The window surround......? Usually once the underlying plastic trim has burst through the vinyl cover then it's beyond a DIY, and I'd buy new or good second hand and reinforce.

Here are some photo's that I have found that show the repairs and reinforcements I made to my window surrounds. The tabs were all pretty much destroyed, and I recreated them out of fibreglass, but the plastic had not burst through the vinyl yet ...
Attached Thumbnails Door panel repair-door-trims-2-009.jpg   Door panel repair-door-trims-2-007.jpg  
Old 06-11-09, 11:30 PM
lawrenceO
Driver

here is the door trim - I have since had a change of heart and gone satin black for the upper section and black microseude for the lower - MUCH better...!
Attached Thumbnails Door panel repair-door-trims-2-001.jpg   Door panel repair-door-trims-2-002.jpg   Door panel repair-retrim-final-003-small.jpg  
Old 06-13-09, 11:54 AM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Thanks for posting up those pics! Yeah, my window surround is broken in half on the bottom, including the covering, so it would be a bunk repair at best anyway. Those things are pricy too though. How did you cover your panels in that microsuede? I'm new to the upholstery game, although looking at the stock panel it appears that the cover is just spray-glued onto the panel and smoothed down. Any pics of the redone satin black/microsuede panels?

Thinking out loud here.....if I could come up with a good way to do the lower section (the one that's fubar'd on mine) I could find a pair of generic tan ones and recover them so mine match, and set my good passenger original aside.
Old 09-12-10, 07:29 PM
Frantastic
Driver School Candidate

Do anyone know exactly what the support piece is called that is attached to the interior side of the door panel.
Old 12-28-10, 01:07 PM
aporozco
Driver

Originally Posted by lawrenceO

here is the door trim - I have since had a change of heart and gone satin black for the upper section and black microseude for the lower - MUCH better...!
I know I'm reviving an old thread. But im in the process of rebuilding and possibly reupholstering my panels too if aglia can't hook me up.

It looks like this guy covered the speaker grills with suede too.... will it allow sound through?
Old 12-29-10, 01:09 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

umm yeaaa! its fabric why would it block sound?
Old 12-29-10, 06:22 AM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It will most certainly block certain frequencies and if it is truly suede then it will attenuate quite a bit of sound as well. This is why manufacturers use "acoustically transparent" speaker grille cloth. Whether or not the lawrenceO will actually notice the difference or even care about it depends upon his own ears.
Old 12-29-10, 07:18 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would try and replace it. I tried glue, pieces of tin, liquid nail, and plastic epoxy to fix mine, where they were broke on the bottom. It broke again. Thats my opinion. I would just find a different color in good condition, and just respray it with SEM.