SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

97 SC400 vs 99 SC300 - Your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-09, 11:44 AM
$loJam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amgine808
Isn't that what we are talking about, an N/A Supra automatic. That is basically what the SC300 is. As for the modded civic, go to a honda board with that crap. The only thing missing from hondas is a bolt on rear wheel drive kit.
Technically, the Supra wieghs 2-300 lbs less than the SC and is more geared towards performance as where as the SC is a luxo cruiser.

I'm not a honda fan so cut it man. I'm just giving my opinion that I think he should keep his SC400, the point of this thread. Performance modding is a big waste of money unless you have money to burn and the heart to beat on an SC. When you guys are driving around with your turbos under your hood who really gives a shizt? You can't race on the streets and those of you do are losers like hulk hogan's son.

IMO, keeping the SC clean and tight is all that's neccessary.
Old 06-20-09, 12:05 PM
Black Fire
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by $loJam
Technically, the Supra wieghs 2-300 lbs less than the SC and is more geared towards performance as where as the SC is a luxo cruiser.

I'm not a honda fan so cut it man. I'm just giving my opinion that I think he should keep his SC400, the point of this thread. Performance modding is a big waste of money unless you have money to burn and the heart to beat on an SC. When you guys are driving around with your turbos under your hood who really gives a shizt? You can't race on the streets and those of you do are losers like hulk hogan's son.

Thank You, about time someone says it right! Im not against mods but some cars need to be left alone. Why mess with perfection?

Last edited by Black Fire; 06-20-09 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-20-09, 02:25 PM
amgine808
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stevechumo
This is a matter of opinion so there's no loss or gain here. If you like the SC3, go for it. If you like the SC4 with more power, then boost it either by a supercharger or turbocharger. I don't think either SC3 or SC4 has 3400 lbs either. I believe they're both around 3700 lbs. What kind of hp and tq can you get with $3000 on the SC3? Did you really put the money in it or just based on your calculation? A turbo kit, coilover, and EMS for $3000? LOL. The hi-performance industry is going bankrupt.
http://cgi.ebay.com/BASE-TURBO-KIT-T...3A1%7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/BG-ADJUSABLE-COI...3A1%7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Halte...1%7C240%3A1318

Sorry if I got the links wrong. Each item here is about 800 each that leaves 600 for wheels, or seats, or spare rubber for drifting or whatever. As for the weight, my title for my 93 sc300 says 3520. I am really tired of proving you wrong. Your lack of knowledge and research is killing my senses. No!, the parts I looked up are not top of the line but not many of us here have top of the line money else we'd probably just get a Supra.
Old 06-20-09, 02:34 PM
amgine808
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by $loJam

The only thing I can disagree with is the loser part. The same law makers who frown on street racing are the same ones who did it as teens and young adults. No one learns. There are many places that become ghost towns at night where racing can be conducted with a police presence that would keep a ton of people out of trouble and alive, but that would make too much sense. In my town we have one road coarse, and they want 2500$ + to run on it. Don't know about you but I don't have 10,000$ a month to spend trying to have fun and go fast, that leaves the street. The real losers are the ones that do it in highly populated areas during the day.
Old 06-20-09, 08:10 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I can disagree with is the loser part. The same law makers who frown on street racing are the same ones who did it as teens and young adults. No one learns. There are many places that become ghost towns at night where racing can be conducted with a police presence that would keep a ton of people out of trouble and alive, but that would make too much sense. In my town we have one road coarse, and they want 2500$ + to run on it. Don't know about you but I don't have 10,000$ a month to spend trying to have fun and go fast, that leaves the street. The real losers are the ones that do it in highly populated areas during the day.
Hulk Hogan's son did race on a heavy populated public street and put many people in danger. Dude was a loser for racing, his pride caused his friend to end up as a veggy, not cool.

Stick to a track. If you can't afford to race then you shouldn't be modding a car. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-20-09, 09:58 PM
GKlexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Here are pictures of the SC300 and my SC400....

Everything is stock on both...
Attached Thumbnails 97 SC400 vs 99 SC300 - Your thoughts-sc300-driver-side.jpg   97 SC400 vs 99 SC300 - Your thoughts-sc400-driver-side.jpg  
Old 06-20-09, 10:13 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry if I got the links wrong. Each item here is about 800 each that leaves 600 for wheels, or seats, or spare rubber for drifting or whatever. As for the weight, my title for my 93 sc300 says 3520. I am really tired of proving you wrong. Your lack of knowledge and research is killing my senses. No!, the parts I looked up are not top of the line but not many of us here have top of the line money else we'd probably just get a Supra.
Dude, if you didn't post the links, then at least everyone doesn't think that you don't know nothing about making the car faster. Now, you posted the links and proved that you haven't really built any hi-peformance cars. They're just your internet info.

Let me prove you wrong.

First, the turbo kit that you posted is a universal kit. It's not put together as a bolt-on kit. To make it work, you'll need a specific manifold for the SC3 and fabricate the whole piping system. Also, a lot of other parts not on the list will be on the list once the job is started. You'll need to hire a hi-performance shop to fabricate the complete system for you and it'll cost another $2G easily. And even if you know how to fabricate, it'll still cost you for extra parts. You may have at least done more research to find the complete bolt-on kit.

I agree with the coilover, the price could be just like that. There's nothing more. But you'll still need to know how to put it in or a shop can charge you for around $300-$400 or even more.

Now is the Haltech. Do you know how to wire the ECU? I guess not. Wiring by a pro will cost you at least $600 for an advanced piggyback ECU and more than $1000 for the universal standalone. Then you gotta spend around another $1G for tuning from scratch.

I've been working on cars, engines and turbo systems for quite sometime now, around 7 years. I've finished fabricating a single turbo system on my SC4with a complete overhaul on the engine and many other stuffs on it. You want to prove something else? You'll need to get your hands dirty and greasy to know stuffs. Sorry. But that's the truth.

I used to come from the Honda crowd, so if you want to talk about Honda, let's open a new thread and I'll join you.

P.S I guess this thread has turned elsewhere, so my apology to GKLexus.

Last edited by stevechumo; 06-20-09 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-20-09, 10:53 PM
amgine808
Driver School Candidate

Dude, if you didn't post the links, then at least everyone doesn't think that you don't know nothing about making the car faster. Now, you posted the links and proved that you haven't really built any hi-peformance cars. They're just your internet info.

Let me prove you wrong.

First, the turbo kit that you posted is a universal kit. It's not put together as a bolt-on kit. To make it work, you'll need a specific manifold for the SC3 and fabricate the whole piping system. Also, a lot of other parts not on the list will be on the list once the job is started. You'll need to hire a hi-performance shop to fabricate the complete system for you and it'll cost another $2G easily. And even if you know how to fabricate, it'll still cost you for extra parts. You may have at least done more research to find the complete bolt-on kit.

I agree with the coilover, the price could be just like that. There's nothing more. But you'll still need to know how to put it in or a shop can charge you for around $300-$400 or even more.

Now is the Haltech. Do you know how to wire the ECU? I guess not. Wiring by a pro will cost you at least $600 for an advanced piggyback ECU and more than $1000 for the universal standalone. Then you gotta spend around another $1G for tuning from scratch.

I've been working on cars, engines and turbo systems for quite sometime now, around 7 years. I've finished fabricating a single turbo system on my SC4with a complete overhaul on the engine and many other stuffs on it. You want to prove something else? You'll need to get your hands dirty and greasy to know stuffs. Sorry. But that's the truth.

I used to come from the Honda crowd, so if you want to talk about Honda, let's open a new thread and I'll join you.

P.S I guess this thread has turned elsewhere, so my apology to GKLexus.
I at least posted links to back up my reasons for picking the 300 over the 400. Now you are say you do this and that but you show no evidence. As far as I can see you are talking out of the side of your neck. you said originally that you can't put a turbo on an sc400 because the engine bay is too small. Now you say you have done some fabrication and made one fit(where's the proof?). As far as getting off topic, you are the only one doing that because your pride is hurt. The guy wanted to know pros and cons of the two cars, you have said the 400 is better but you have given nothing but opinion as to why. I have given experience (BAD LOCATION FOR THE STARTER) Lower cost for making it faster, the fact it is basically an N/A Supra. Everything you have said has proven my point, and again you want to go off topic and talk about fabricating this and paying someone that. THAT IS NOT WHAT THE MAN ASKED FOR! please stop letting your pride get in the way. The same way you can't win every race, you can't win every game, you can't win every argument. People here have said 300 only or 400 for CRUISING and 300 for BOOSTING. Yet every time, you go on a tangent about this that and the other, all because no one agrees 400 over 300. You are being stubborn and you are not even giving any proof of why you are being that way. it's time to move on, for both of us. BYE.
Old 06-20-09, 10:58 PM
amgine808
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GKlexus
Thanks all...had the 99 sc300 checked out and it only needs 4 tires and an alignment. I will keep the sc300 & sc400 for a little while but then decide which to keep. Right now I am leaning toward selling the sc400. I just have to figure out a good asking price for a good condition 97 sc400 with 120k miles.
I am jealous. If you can afford it, keep both. Then you can take the advice of most here, daily the 400, boost the 300.
Old 06-21-09, 12:53 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

I at least posted links to back up my reasons for picking the 300 over the 400. Now you are say you do this and that but you show no evidence. As far as I can see you are talking out of the side of your neck. you said originally that you can't put a turbo on an sc400 because the engine bay is too small. Now you say you have done some fabrication and made one fit(where's the proof?). As far as getting off topic, you are the only one doing that because your pride is hurt. The guy wanted to know pros and cons of the two cars, you have said the 400 is better but you have given nothing but opinion as to why. I have given experience (BAD LOCATION FOR THE STARTER) Lower cost for making it faster, the fact it is basically an N/A Supra. Everything you have said has proven my point, and again you want to go off topic and talk about fabricating this and paying someone that. THAT IS NOT WHAT THE MAN ASKED FOR! please stop letting your pride get in the way. The same way you can't win every race, you can't win every game, you can't win every argument. People here have said 300 only or 400 for CRUISING and 300 for BOOSTING. Yet every time, you go on a tangent about this that and the other, all because no one agrees 400 over 300. You are being stubborn and you are not even giving any proof of why you are being that way. it's time to move on, for both of us. BYE.
You sound like an 18 years old kid who just starts to know about cars. I'm wondering how you could get to work for Lexus. Most Lexus/Toyota people including the master techinicians that I talked to were completely different from you. If you don't have any experiences with cars, please don't even think about giving any suggestion for starters or anyone if you don't know stuffs. You'll need to be specific when talking about cars.

I didn't even say the SC4 is better in any of my posts. There's no pride in here, dude. I didn't even say I can't put the turbo on the SC4. If you can again point to those words, then I'll appreciate it.

I personally don't have anything against you, it's just you that keeps throwing out your 2 cents. Here's my car's engine just for reference:

P.S. GKlexus, my opinion is the silver SC looks better because of its color. If you're not looking into any hi-performance stuffs, just choose the car that has better interior, exterior, and engine/tranny conditions. It'll give you a safe and peaceful feeling driving it. By the way, both cars are nice.
Attached Thumbnails 97 SC400 vs 99 SC300 - Your thoughts-scengine2.jpg  
Old 06-21-09, 11:12 AM
amgine808
Driver School Candidate

You sound like an 18 years old kid who just starts to know about cars. I'm wondering how you could get to work for Lexus. Most Lexus/Toyota people including the master techinicians that I talked to were completely different from you. If you don't have any experiences with cars, please don't even think about giving any suggestion for starters or anyone if you don't know stuffs. You'll need to be specific when talking about cars.

I didn't even say the SC4 is better in any of my posts. There's no pride in here, dude. I didn't even say I can't put the turbo on the SC4. If you can again point to those words, then I'll appreciate it.

I personally don't have anything against you, it's just you that keeps throwing out your 2 cents. Here's my car's engine just for reference:

P.S. GKlexus, my opinion is the silver SC looks better because of its color. If you're not looking into any hi-performance stuffs, just choose the car that has better interior, exterior, and engine/tranny conditions. It'll give you a safe and peaceful feeling driving it. By the way, both cars are nice.

In your first post you alluded that it is a better car, your second post you said it's difficult to put in a turbo, and your third post you challenged that for 3000$ I couldn't get more that 350hp but you could.

I say it's not a better car, it's easier to put twin-turbo in anSC300 than single in an SC400, and I gave you links of products I would buy that would not only give me more than 350hp but would have me a leg up with the suspension as well. You keep talking about fabrication, when I can get a TT or single T bolt on manifold. You say the 400 doesn't have much space, but the 300 does, you say it will cost a lot of money to get the power from a 300 but your own posts say it would take more to get the same power from a 400. I admit, I don't have the experience of putting a turbo in a 400, but that doesn't change the fact that the money, time, and effort are better spent on an SC300. Do you get it now?
Old 06-21-09, 12:06 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Well, if you want to save the money wisely, the best bet is not to put any go-fast stuffs on either the SC3 or SC4. Once you put the stuffs on them, none of them is cheap either once you love the boost and try to pass 7-8 psi. Anyway, I'd say we stick to the original car, maybe put a set of coilover and rims on it and call it done.
Old 06-21-09, 12:49 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow...this got heated quick. Stevechumo FTW!!! I had this same debate with myself and the v8 won. I think the 2jz is no longer in production right? The UZ is if i remember correctly so it must be doing something right. Im guessing you can get more if you sell the mint 300 before you have loads of maintenence to do thats gonna bust your ***. Sell that, build the 400 to look sexy. I remember the talk about the starter and im at 236k (ish) miles and im still on the original starter. Learn to use a wrench and to fab things you want and it will last forever...relatively speaking. Either way the are both sexy cars, I went with the one everyone said you couldnt build...I think guys like stevechumo, scottyournot and the lextreme guys prove the 2jz crowd wrong a while ago! Personaly speaking if a turbo supra, 240, civic(since it was mentioned) rolled up on the fwy i wouldnt be impressed. Now a FI sc400...thats something to be marveled at!!
Old 06-21-09, 12:50 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah Steve, did you blue print your turbo? If so i would love to buy a copy off you or get some tips...My lil project is gonna go underway this summer!
Old 06-21-09, 01:11 PM
LexFather

Please keep the tone civil. Thanks

Quick Reply: 97 SC400 vs 99 SC300 - Your thoughts