SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Problem: Cabin Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-09, 06:01 PM
dis 4 duc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem: Cabin Filter

So today when i was at work bored, i decided to pull out my cabin filter and change it. Which i find out there wasn't a filter in there. So i took the light to see if there was crap in there, which there was. so whats the best thing i should do to clean it. I need your 2 cents... thanks,....
Old 06-17-09, 06:19 PM
KrazeMatik
Lexus Test Driver

how do we get to the cabin filter? i always wanted to know where its at!
Old 06-17-09, 08:02 PM
dis 4 duc

its under glove passenger side , pop it out and pull the tabs out and there it is to your right there a link floating around here
Old 06-17-09, 08:03 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

I just shoved a vac. cleaner with an attachment in there and tried to suck out as much as i could. Still blows crap every now and then (chipmunk found a home there a while ago ).

Originally Posted by KrazeMatik
It's under the glove box, just remove the panel (snaps in) and the slot will be there held by two wing nuts. It may or may not be in there, idk why they were never installed to begin with from the factory
Old 06-17-09, 10:41 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just noticed I dont have a cabin filter either. Im just going to buy a couple for the newer model SC and make a little sandwhich out of one of those flat VIP scents and stick in there.
Old 06-17-09, 10:53 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ryeno
the filters dont go in like a sandwhich but in a straight line.
I know how they go and what Im trying to do has already been done so thats the way its going to be.
Old 06-18-09, 12:07 AM
renren7
Lead Lap

yea when i first got my car it was one of the first things i added, it didnt come with it but you can get the part from toyota, got it for about 35, then installed it
Old 06-18-09, 12:42 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazeMatik
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=261774
Old 06-18-09, 02:07 AM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Can someone show a picture of the cabin filter location?? I read all the threads and links and still not sure...I have a 92 so do I take off the glove box and its behind there?? Will the modification of the newer year filter fit in a 92??
Old 06-18-09, 09:18 AM
dis 4 duc

A search would have gotten you the answer faster. All you have to do is buy the cabin air filter for a newer model sc (e.g. 98 model) then trim the side down a bit so both filters can fit inside the hole.
Despite how long this post is, its really simple.

Underneath the glove box there is a trim. To give you an idea what this trim looks like, driver side equivalent is the one with the obd-i plug and that light. Just pull that trim down and maybe a bit toward the seat. It just pops right out. After thats its really obvious where the filter is. If you were sitting in the seat, above the right foot is where the slot is. Its covered by white plastic. Just remove the 4 butteryfly screws and then pull the plastic straight down. Watch your eyes some dust might come out.

To put the new filter in, you just push it up then slide it toward the engine bay. Then push the other piece up. BTW in case you didnt know the filter is a 2 piece design.

The mod is just trimming the plastic between where the 2 filter pieces meet. And possible on the other sides too. Basically our slot is like 1-3cm too short to fit both filters in but with that little mod it fits in perfect.

i really think u need to read my post again..... -.-
Old 06-18-09, 09:49 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

I would take an air hose(if your have access to one) and blow air in there then get a vacuum cleaner with the small attatchment and clean out whatever you can.. Order the fiters install then you should be golden .

Quick question, I had read all the posts.. From my understanding, we should get the 98' CABIN FILTERS and modify it to fit? I have a 92' so there wasn't one from factory from what I read..
Old 06-18-09, 10:30 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

The air hose idea sounds like it will work. Especially with the ac blowing at the same time. You might be able to get all that dust and dirt out.
Old 06-18-09, 12:48 PM
dis 4 duc

so today at work , i was bored and checked it out, there is another filter in there that you can not take out unless u take the whole thing out. so i just took a air blower and blew as much as i can. problem solve!! now time to get a filter
Old 06-18-09, 03:41 PM
986ci's
Pole Position

So do 92's have this from the factory or is it just a blank slot that you can buy a part for then have a cabin filter, was confused with people saying that they didn't have one but bought the part.
Old 06-18-09, 03:49 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup earlier model SCs has the slot, but a filter was not installed. All you need to buy is oem part # 87139YZZ02 or 8888030040 as mentioned in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mai...in-filter.html

Quick Reply: Problem: Cabin Filter