SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Salvage Title

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-09, 06:55 PM
Cwall
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salvage Title

My 1993 SC400 has a salvage title. It has had the "salvage" title for almost 8-9 years now and I'm confused on what to do. I've owned the car for 4 years and it's been perfect. Just maintenance and premium gas required. I'm looking to put more money into it (cosmetically) but I'm concerned it will NEVER hold any value. Should I just hold onto the car, or look to sell?
Old 06-24-09, 07:01 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything with a salvage title is not going to hold value on the market. I would just keep the car because you are not going to get much for it with that title
Old 06-24-09, 07:09 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Just keep the car. It's always going to be worth more to you than how much it would sell for.
Old 06-24-09, 07:14 PM
schwarz
Pole Position

No matter what SC you put money into cosmetically will you get it back when you sell. SC's aren't rare cars and they aren't collectible. If you happen to have a salvage title, you'll get even less out of it. Do what you want and love it because its YOUR car. If you are looking to get money out of the car, then don't start with an SC.
Old 06-24-09, 07:50 PM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to disapoint you but no cars hold value. At least not at this level of the stratosphere. You'll have to bump it up by a few decimal places before you see any and even then its rare.

I learned my lesson the hard way. Keep the car.
Old 06-24-09, 09:53 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do your state have a system in place to re-title the car? Here in Maryland you can actually get the salvage title changed back after a thorough inspection by DMV at a State Police Garage Facility. The through a bolt by bolt inspection to ensure the car it up to spec. if pass they will reissue a normal title. Still the car will not hold value but it will put your mind at ease. Funny how a piece of paper hold so much power.
Old 06-24-09, 10:40 PM
schwarz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nate579
Do your state have a system in place to re-title the car? Here in Maryland you can actually get the salvage title changed back after a thorough inspection by DMV at a State Police Garage Facility. The through a bolt by bolt inspection to ensure the car it up to spec. if pass they will reissue a normal title. Still the car will not hold value but it will put your mind at ease. Funny how a piece of paper hold so much power.
does it go back to a 'normal' title or 'rebuilt'? Quite a difference between the 2 (and in some states like mine, salvage titled cars are not street legal, as they must be inspected thus becoming 'rebuilt' titled cars).
Old 06-24-09, 10:58 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by schwarz
does it go back to a 'normal' title or 'rebuilt'? Quite a difference between the 2 (and in some states like mine, salvage titled cars are not street legal, as they must be inspected thus becoming 'rebuilt' titled cars).
Doesn't say anything about "rebuilt" title. Just procedures needed to have your vehicle titled after being salvage. I know he is in another state, but sometimes just getting that salvage changed helps in piece of mind. Not necessarily in the sale of the vehicle.

http://www.marylandmva.com/AboutMVA/.../58000-03T.htm

Thought maybe his state may have something similar. Yea it won't increase the value as I said before. Carfax may or may not pickup the change. Maryland has a pretty extensive inspection process.
Old 06-24-09, 11:13 PM
schwarz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nate579
Doesn't say anything about "rebuilt" title. Just procedures needed to have your vehicle titled after being salvage. I know he is in another state, but sometimes just getting that salvage changed helps in piece of mind. Not necessarily in the sale of the vehicle.

http://www.marylandmva.com/AboutMVA/.../58000-03T.htm

Thought maybe his state may have something similar. Yea it won't increase the value as I said before. Carfax may or may not pickup the change. Maryland has a pretty extensive inspection process.
If you go here...

Maryland DMV Info

it states, you get a 'rebuilt salvage' title after the inspection process. Thought that sounded odd.

And like you said, it won't increase value a penny. To most folks, a rebuilt title is just as bad as a salvage title.
Old 06-24-09, 11:46 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would definitely be very hard for me to find a buyer out in Maryland. I bought my car with a clean title but since the value of these cars have dropped significantly it is very easy to total them and give them a salvage title if you decide to buy it back. I still put money into my SC but only because I do not plan on reselling it in the future.
Old 06-25-09, 03:52 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

When my SC was pummeled with hail I thought for sure they was going to total it. Every body shop I went to typed stuff in their fancy computer and came back with "total" due to fixing body would cost more than the value of the car. Bless All State Insurance for coughing up 3000 grand to have it fixed and the whole car repainted without doing so. I am glad I didn't have to go through that hassle.

Oh and good catch Schwarz on the "rebuilt" title find.
Old 06-27-09, 11:32 AM
Cwall
Rookie

I looked into seeing if you can change the title back to normal status here in Texas, but after reading endlessly I don't think it's possible. Apparently it's extremely hard to even have a car registered as salvage, or rebuilt. I'm still debating my decision, but right now doesn't seem like a good time to be selling anything. I might look into some trades, but this probably won't be very promising.
Old 06-27-09, 12:14 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Just build as you see fit and when the day comes that you feel you want to sell it for something else you will just have to part it out which would be fun. Because with a salavge title you wont get jack for it once it goes salage it dont come back. GL
Old 06-27-09, 12:27 PM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
Just build as you see fit and when the day comes that you feel you want to sell it for something else you will just have to part it out which would be fun. Because with a salavge title you wont get jack for it once it goes salage it dont come back. GL
right
Old 06-27-09, 02:49 PM
Matador
Racer

Keep in mind that mods arent really a value booster even on clean titled cars, you'll lose money either way.