SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Front grill and subtle body kit, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-02 | 06:36 PM
Goose
Driver School Candidate

Default Front grill and subtle body kit, opinions?

Is the front grill on the 97-up SCs interchangable with the front portion of earlier model years?

Actually, I like the body of the 97-up SCs, but I'm in the market for 92-94 SCs (still don't have an SC yet). How difficult is it to swap bumpers?

Also, are there any subtle body kits that enhance the look of the SC without making it look too obnoxious? The Bombex is a little bit over the top for my tastes.
The only one that comes to mind is the Vertex kit. Any others?
I'm wondering if I should upgrade the body to a 1997 model or add a body kit. I want to have a clean looking car, but I don't like the thought of having fiberglass pieces on a car.
Any ideas on the price for updating the front bumper of the older SCs?
Old 04-01-02 | 07:01 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Front bumper swap, to the 97+ models isnt too hard. Just need the bumper, new foglights, a grill and a emblem. lexussc400.com has the whole package listed for 850$. Im thinking about buying one, but Ive heard some negative things about lexussc400.com, so I might try to get it elsewhere, or get another kit entirley.

The only other subtle kit (which in my opinion is the dopest kit out there), is the autocouture kit. I think www.gtamotorsports.com
has a picture of it, or heres a picture also http://www.auto-couture.com/catalog/lexus/sc400/
That kit runs from like 2500-3000 I belive

Jason
Old 04-01-02 | 07:03 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

sorry its gtautosports.com

Theres some clean kits on there, but alot are expensive as hell.

Jason
Old 04-01-02 | 07:15 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

One of my favorites is the Wald kit. $1650 for the whole shaabang.
I dig the dished wheels on them too. (they look staggered?)
A very classy looking car all around......

Old 04-01-02 | 08:36 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

DAMN!!!! I like the Wald kit too! and the rims look ghetto but really good too!! I shoulda come here before i did stuff to mine...

As for sc400.com, dont deal with them... they dont have a good rep even though everyone knows about them.. they never get back to you after you pay, and they take forever to get you your stuff... they have everything, it just takes a long time... and they dont have a phone number.. you have to wait for them to call yoU!!!!!
Old 04-01-02 | 09:47 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Don't get me started on lexussc400.com. SC300TURBO has the WALD kit, ask him about it.
Old 04-01-02 | 10:39 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Steve Ganz has the AutoCouture kit for $1600-$1700. I'm thinking about working out a group buy, if you're SERIOUSLY interested (no hagglers, no half-@ssers), PM me....

Personally, I think the AutoCouture kit looks better...

Also, the Wald kit is a ADD-ON kit. So if you don't have a '97+ bumper, you'll need to buy the factory bumper and all the corresponding parts...

The AutoCouture kit is a FULL front bumper. I think all you need to get is the Turning lights (I don't think they're fog lights but you can make them into fog lights), front grille, and the emblem...
Old 04-02-02 | 07:58 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Actually, you'd need less parts with the WALD than the AC, the WALD uses all the factory 92-96 parts, except the 97-2K grille. The AC kit requires at least the 2K grille and foglamps, not sure if you need the 2K foam bumper support, probably not, but either way it's $45. Anyway, who cares? IMO the AC kit is sooo perfect for the SC, I would never let a few parts get in the way of my decision.
Old 04-02-02 | 10:59 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

i have the wald kit sitting in my garage as we type here......it is a full front and rear bumper replacment......the front bumper fits the 92-96 factory fog lights and fits the 97 front grill piece..which is what i wanted...factory cleanliness with aftermarket apeal....also the rear bumper wraps around the back body panels...very clean...i like it alot......my car is currently at toyomoto getting bigger turbo and all......once thats done im installing the body kit and ill have pictures for everyone......if you have any questions feel free to ask.....Jeff
Old 04-02-02 | 12:05 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Manaray, that's a good price for the Auto Conture kit. When is this group buy going down and how much less is it?? I have to add my funds before I know if I can get one. (God I hate being unemployeed). What do you think the cost of paint will be too?
Old 04-02-02 | 03:39 PM
hoops_24
Pole Position

The Wald kit is WAAAY nicer than the autyo couture IMO. The Wald looks extremely clean which is how I like it. The AC looks "after market" which for me is a no-no.

What's the scoop with Lexus SC400.Com? I was going to order a 97+ front end from them. Give me down low....

SC300, just to be clear. You get the 97+ bumper with the kit or you can add that on separate? Maybe i'll get the wald instead of dealin' with SC400.com.

Can I go with the front end only and then add the grill portion if necessary?

Last edited by hoops_24; 04-02-02 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-02-02 | 03:47 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

whats the deal with lexus sc400.com?

1. They dont have a phone number
2. it is run by god knows who and they never tell you who they are and never give youa phone number to call
3. 2 shippin days= 2 shipping weeks
4. did i mention they dont have everything they say they have?
5. they take forever to get back to you when you need something... ive been waiting for them to call me for 2 weeks already
6. they dont know everything about cars; they tell you to post something on the board and ask around
Old 04-02-02 | 03:47 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

hoops, the WALD isn't a 97-up bumper, it's a full WALD bumper that uses your existing fogs, you'll have to purchase the 97-2K grille separately, correct me if i'm wrong Captain Hackman. As far as lexussc400.com, I don't want to bash anyone, but I wanna watch out for my fellow Lex-pushers if I can, do a search, you'll find a long post I made about them. If you like a clean, 'enhanced-OEM' look, then I think the WALD is perfect, especially with the Volks or the C2's you were thinking about.
- Jon
Old 04-02-02 | 06:27 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, Jeff and I are BOTH right...

There are TWO Wald SC kits...the add-on kit is for the '97+. So if you have the '97+, you can get JUST the lip instead of having to do a full bumper.

The second kit, which is what Jeff has, is a full replacement bumper like he said...

Hoops - If you take a look at the AutoCouture kit, you'll notice that it's just a '97+ bumper with a spoiler...the Wald kit is the same thing but instead of a "outward" spoiler, it has a "inward" spoiler...neither kit looks "overly" aftermarket. Both have that smooth classy look...

Anyways, for those of you interested in the AutoCouture kit, here's some more info...

----------------------------------

Ok, I JUST got some NEW info...PLEASE READ COMPLETLEY BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

I'm waiting to hear what the minimum is for the group buy but the price will be LESS than $1600. I don't have DEFINITE numbers so if you can afford to spend $1600, then you can afford the kit.

Also, I'm getting together a "package" price for the 97+ Fogs, Front Grille, and Door panels. These parts are needed to "complete" the kit (unless you like having holes)...this is only for pre-97 SC owners...

Also, I'm putting together a price for that package plus the 97+ tail lights.

Anyone in California can pick up the kit (From Los Angeles) to save shipping. For others, it'll have to be shipped out. Shipping will be extra and I have NO IDEA how much it's going to cost. I'm trying to find out.

So far, I have two people that are seriously interested...as soon as we hit the minimum, I'm going to order...anyone who's late will be SOL...so get your cash together and PM me!

Once I get a confirmed price and minimum, I'll need a 50% to 100% deposit. If you need references, you can ask Steve Ganz, Mike Kilty, DevilDog, etc., etc...
Old 04-02-02 | 08:07 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

manaray, WALD makes an add-on spoiler for the 97-up front bumper? Didn't know that, it's exactly what i'm looking for. Do you happen to know if they sell it separately?
- Jon

Quick Reply: Front grill and subtle body kit, opinions?