Search this Thread

Old 04-02-02, 02:16 PM
vuvu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PLEASE HELP !! How to Install the Stabilize bar bushing

[IMG]c:\temp\Stabilize bushing.gif[/IMG]

HI,

Has anyone replaced the stabilize bar bushing (front) for SC300 (part #2 & 3) , please let me know that some thing I can do by myself or have to have the shop to do it. I also attach the image with this message.

Thanks.

Last edited by vuvu; 04-03-02 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-02-02, 03:13 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only advice is to use rubber bushings. My friend bought a SBT for his '68 GT and it came with polyurethane (plastic) bushings. The other day the bar snapped on him on the freeway and the whole front end shook loose. Too stiff a bushing will end that bar's life. Lesson learned.
Old 04-03-02, 02:58 PM
vuvu
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Please help with the front suspension noise when apply the brake

Please help !!!! I think I need to replace the bushing since every time I apply the brake, there is a unpleasant noise appears from front right suspension. I already changed struts, OEM brake pads, Caliper, and the noise still there. ..

Thanks.

Last edited by vuvu; 04-03-02 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-03-02, 04:16 PM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Probably not noisy bushings

vuvu,

I replaced my front sway-bar bushings, greased them real good, but still have the noise. I'm more and more convinced that the noise is coming from the strut upper mounts. Will know for sure when I replace the struts and take a good look at the mounts.

Did you replace or examine the upper mounts when you replaced the struts? It is an item that is often missed.

DJL
Old 04-03-02, 05:47 PM
eenaus
Driver School Candidate

Default Front noise

I have also noticed a clanking noise, like some thing is loose, comming from the right front of the car. but mine comes when i go over the lots of little bumps in a row, like a wash board. I have taken the entire front side apart trying to find the sound but the is nothing loose andall the bussings are in place.all the mounts are tight. is there any one else that has had this problem or any one that might know what is causeing this.
ethan
Old 04-04-02, 08:19 AM
vuvu
Driver School Candidate

Default Passenger Front noise when brake

djl,

I did not check the upper rubber mount when I replaced the struts. (Fig. #15). The noise usually comes when I brake real hard. Or when I brake and go over the holes/bump, then the clonk clonk noise appears and it drives me crazy. Please let me know if your problem solve when you replace the struts.
Attached Thumbnails Stabilize bar bushing-suspension.gif  
Old 04-04-02, 08:23 AM
vuvu
Driver School Candidate

djl,

I did not check the upper rubber mount when I replaced the struts. (Fig. #15). The noise usually comes when I brake real hard. Or when I brake and go over the holes/bump, then the clonk clonk noise appears and it drives me crazy. Please let me know if your problem solve when you replace the struts.
Old 04-04-02, 02:32 PM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been told the sound you are referring to comes from worn bushing in the lower A arm or control arm in the front suspension. From what they told me the whole A arm has to be replaced. Another way you can tell if this is infact the part that is worn, is from a standstill put the car in reverse and start rolling backwards, then step on the brakes hard and if you feel or hear a click or thud like noise that is what it probably is. Now I am not saying this is whats wrong for sure but when I was looking for my car the lexus mechanic put everycar I brought to him through this test and 3 of the 5 sc's I took to him made this sound. From what he said you would also notice it on bumpy roads b/c it would make a rattling sound which would be quite noticible.
Old 04-04-02, 09:40 PM
kschiu
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same noise. It is the lower control arm bushings. The dealer changed the Sway bar bushing first . Did not fix it. Then the struct mounts. No luck. Finally the lower control arms. Bingo.
Old 04-05-02, 06:25 AM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you dont mind me asking how much did the dealer charge you to change the control arm b/c mine doesnt make the sound yet but I can see the bushing are about to go from all the cracks on the rubber. Thx
Old 04-05-02, 06:34 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Sway bar bushings typically make themselves known when its cold out and you creep up or down the curb of a driveway....
****CREEEEAAAAKKKK******

Really not hard to replace. Its just a few bolts. Don't remember if the front under cover has to come off. Thats a bunch of little screws, but still not a hard job at all. Just make sure the car is level, otherwise the sway bar may be in tension which would make it difficult to put the new bushings in.
Old 04-05-02, 08:04 AM
vuvu
Driver School Candidate

Question

If it is the lower control arm bushing, then can we replace the bushing itself? I understand that Lexus does not sell the bushing alone, we have to buy the whole set of the lower control arm.

However, I have been reading the posts that Supra has the same suspension with the SC series. I saw Parts.com is selling the bushing itself for $1.50 (l know that it is less than 2 bucks). So the question is: Can we replace the bushing alone? (No.7)

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Stabilize bar bushing-bushing.gif  
Old 04-05-02, 08:12 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is cracked also.

For $1.50, what do you have to lose?

I imagine you'd need a vice or something to press out the old bushing.

You may have to destroy the old one, drill it out. I think the reason Lexus doesn't sell it separately is that from the factory the bushing is physically molded into the arm. Right? If you can successfully do this, the process would be a help to alot of us.
Old 04-05-02, 09:11 AM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

vuvu, how do you have the scans of the repair manual? Did you scan it yourself or is there one online?
Old 04-05-02, 09:26 AM
vuvu
Driver School Candidate

Slick Lex Coupe

If you go to www.parts.com , they show everything for the parts they sell.

Quick Reply: Stabilize bar bushing