SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Which Lexus should I buy!?
1998 blk/blk
60.00%
1999 dpw/tan
40.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

1998 or 1999? Opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-09 | 09:07 AM
Neil4Speed
Driver

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
So after a few weeks of looking for a new SC I think I've come down to 2! Which one do you guys think I should get!? Both were serviced at Lexus and have had major tune up's already done. Both roughly the same price.

1) 1998 blk/blk sc400. 91k. My dream color combo, but has a crappy drivers seat. How much is new leather? Like $400 I read in previous threads?

2) 1999 dpw/tan sc400. 110k. Not my dream color combo, but extremely clean and its a '99! Is it worth it just for the year?

I'm aiming to pick my new car up this Sunday!
I would still go with the black one man, Killer color combo, white never really does it for me. The owners of the black oen really seem to be enthusiasts and took very good care of it (I called and checked about it), the price was very reasonable as well.

I don't know if you saw the Red one with Tan Leather in San Jose, I picked it up on Friday and brought it up to Calgary. It has only 76k, drives amazing! But if the Black one had TC and heated seats, I would have gone with that one as it has already had the major service done.

Good luck on your hunt, remember to send your paperwork to the border 72 hours in advance. Its a really easy procedure!
Old 07-01-09 | 09:09 AM
Neil4Speed
Driver

Two good things about the 99 are the new 3 spoke steering wheel, and it comes with DAytime running lights (really the only thing you need to do to allow it to pass Canadian inspection)

Edit. I saw that you are considering shipping it up, definitely drive it, its a really great experience and quite simple to do. Your pretty close to Cali from Vancouver anyways.

Last edited by Neil4Speed; 07-01-09 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-01-09 | 09:22 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by QwkSC
blk/blk is very rare and sought after. If i ever bought another SC it would be just that: blk/blk vvti 400
I guess in southern states where the heat gets up there, the white/tan is more preferable since it doesn't heat up as much compared to black/black. Plus white/tan imo, doesn't show dirt as well. I guess to each their own .
Old 07-01-09 | 09:24 AM
QwkSC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I guess in southern states where the heat gets up there, the white/tan is more preferable since it doesn't heat up as much compared to black/black. Plus white/tan imo, doesn't show dirt as well. I guess to each their own .
I hear ya, It was 103*+ yesterday. But blk/blk is just too sexy, I'd have to live with it.
Old 07-01-09 | 09:27 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Neil4Speed
I would still go with the black one man, Killer color combo, white never really does it for me. The owners of the black oen really seem to be enthusiasts and took very good care of it (I called and checked about it), the price was very reasonable as well.

I don't know if you saw the Red one with Tan Leather in San Jose, I picked it up on Friday and brought it up to Calgary. It has only 76k, drives amazing! But if the Black one had TC and heated seats, I would have gone with that one as it has already had the major service done.

Good luck on your hunt, remember to send your paperwork to the border 72 hours in advance. Its a really easy procedure!
Ahh I was wondering what happened to that Red one. It looked mint, nice buy

Yea I'm going to drive it back. I've done the trip a few times in trucks, so I cant wait to tear it up here in a sports car!
Old 07-01-09 | 07:11 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 200000

IF you like the blk\blk get the 98, fix the seats and whatever else might be rubbish, then if you want to get a 3spoke wheel, get one. otherwise the 98 is a swell car!

if you like dwp\tan go for the 99, dont think that you have to get the 98 because of its blk\blk.
Old 07-01-09 | 07:30 PM
Avarec
Lexus Test Driver

i love the dwp

but get the '98
ryeno can sew you 3 spoke bag anytime
Old 07-01-09 | 07:40 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

I've given my final offer to the white one, we'll see if he accepts. The people selling the black one are morons and I'm worried about the shape of the car even tho they say its been 'fully serviced'; it doesnt exactly look in very good shape. I cant even get ahold of them anymore to make an offer..
But the guy selling the white one is extremely picky about keeping it in mint condition. So hopefully he accepts.

I would MUCH rather prefer the black one, but I just cant justify passing up a mint condition car for a much less pampered car just cuz of color. We'll see how it goes..
Old 07-01-09 | 07:48 PM
TURBO819
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I've given my final offer to the white one, we'll see if he accepts. The people selling the black one are morons and I'm worried about the shape of the car even tho they say its been 'fully serviced'; it doesnt exactly look in very good shape. I cant even get ahold of them anymore to make an offer..
But the guy selling the white one is extremely picky about keeping it in mint condition. So hopefully he accepts.

I would MUCH rather prefer the black one, but I just cant justify passing up a mint condition car for a much less pampered car just cuz of color. We'll see how it goes..
I always like DWP. So Good Luck with your offer
Old 07-02-09 | 10:55 AM
Avarec
Lexus Test Driver

id take that white one anyday over the blackie

white looks better than black imo

also i love black leather but can live with out them in such perfect shape tan interior
Old 07-02-09 | 03:52 PM
TURBO819
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Avarec
id take that white one anyday over the blackie

white looks better than black imo

also i love black leather but can live with out them in such perfect shape tan interior
Do what I did. Diamond White Pearl. With??????
Attached Thumbnails 1998 or 1999? Opinions!-009_10a.jpg  
Old 07-02-09 | 04:58 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Get the 98, the Black on black is where its at. The tan leather will wear sooner or later too, then youll have crappy tan interior like everyone else, tan interior FTL!
Old 07-02-09 | 05:02 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Personally, I would just keep looking and wait for the perfect SC with black interior to pop up. Black interior = sex, that's all I have to say. White always reminds me of rental cars, boring, and tan interior is horrible(doo doo). I hope I never have to get a car with tan interior, it's like a petpeeve of mine. Either way you will really enjoy the vvt-i. It's like night and day compared to the previous production year SC's, drives like the new Lexus's but with the timeless old skool body.
Old 07-02-09 | 06:56 PM
ep9716
Rookie

Black on Black FTW!!
Old 07-02-09 | 09:16 PM
Dark_Eric
Driver

Yea its a tough choice, but with the '99 you dont have to put any extra money into it, thats why I picked my '93 over a '98, because mine came with 20s, new Z rated tires and a perfect interior upholstry, and less wood than the '98.

Too much work had to be put in the green '98 to make it look as good as the one I have now, so I saved $2000+ by buying it plus nothing had to be re-done. I don't like the idea of all black interior in the sumer-time...then if u add tints it'll be even darker! I think the headlamps on that '99 look a little less foggy than the black '98 too.

Last edited by Dark_Eric; 07-02-09 at 09:19 PM.

Quick Reply: 1998 or 1999? Opinions!