SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

95 or 96? what color paint did I have?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-09, 09:53 AM
95silversc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 or 96? what color paint did I have?

Sorry this is long but I wanted to provide background and as much of the information I have as possible.

Inc. wall of text!!!

Ive had my SC coming up on 8-9 months. This car is my DD and weekend car, so I drive it a lot and always fix it right away when I encounter an issue so I can keep it on the road. I am a mechanic and fabricator so I do all the work myself. It came with a bromex body kit that I hate. I smashed the front bumper pulling into my driveway the day I bought it. I took off the side skirts and rear bumper extensions. The rear center piece fell off the car on the way home from buying it. I am still rocking the smashed front bumper and the spoiler. Ive got an oem 95 bumper cover, seibon cf hood and decklid that will be installed and painted soon but I want to use the original paint color.

Over the past few months Ive done brake work, and oil changes. Ive also installed new wheel studs and a new battery. The harmonic balancer fell off and took the cooling fan with it but the belt slipped back onto the remaining part of the damper and I barely noticed anything happened except for excessive vibration I made it to work then back home and found the issue and fixed it promptly. I also found my rear sway bar unconnected on the drivers side due to stripped threads (one of the many great presents the previous owner left me) and repaired that. Only thing I haven't fixed or been able to diagnose is why my high stop light doesn't come on... but thats another thread.

The car has a salvage title. This doesnt bother me because I do not intend to sell this car, but it means the car was totaled by an insurance company. I know where it was hit: driverside front. The core support was repaired with a hammer there and the headlight was replaced with a junkyard one and is yellowish. Also the inner finder looks like it was repaired with a hammer. The driver side outer fender, door, and hood have mismatched vin#s. Also the wiring on that side is a little burnt from battery acid.

Ive started to notice a trend that is kinda worrisome. I found junkyard paint on my rear sub frame. Ive also found several harnesses and plastic parts loose or with several fasteners missing or broken- evidence of major repairs with someone working fast and not paying attention. Also my valve cover is red... did toyota ever paint sc300 2jz valve covers red?

Basically there is evidence that the only original thing is the body and wiring and possibly the suspension components. Its probably not that bad because it would cost money to replace everything. But the dude did run a SCx00 junkyard and it was his personal vehicle b4 it was mine so its possible he put w/e parts he felt like in the car. And here is my dilemma.

The paint on my car is the Alpine metallic silver(199). I know this because I was recently rear ended and the shop used 199 when they painted the bumper cover and they were able to match it perfectly. But my car is allegedly a 1995 and from what I know the Alpine metallic silver was introduced in 1996. I know the car was painted but the guy that did it sucked really hard at painting I dont think he is capable of hiding original paint from me. Its peeling on both front fenders and there are several runs. It is also some of the thickest paint I have ever seen. I dont think he was trying to conceal anything just really bad at blending. I also think that this is the original color. The trunk and interior under the seats etc looks like the 199 paint(I think). How much different does the 1995 Platinum Metallic(1A0) look compared to 1996 Alpine metallic silver(199)?

How can I find out what year and color my car started out as? Im starting to doubt that my car has oem black int. I know to look at the edge of the drivers door or the body at the same place and it should have the year but on mine the door says 10/99 which would indicate a 2000 model. But the vin on the door does not match the car and I can tell the whole door was painted because you can see paint on the sicker where they failed to completely mask it. Also the hood and drivers fender vin do not match the car but the passenger fender does. According to carfax its a 1995. But whats up with the 199 (alpine metallic silver) paint?

Last edited by 95silversc; 07-01-09 at 09:53 AM. Reason: humor
Old 07-01-09, 12:01 PM
95silversc
Rookie

If you dont feel like reading all that I guess I can sum it all up real quick.

The most important question is:

How can I find out exactly what exterior paint color my car left the factory with?

The other question is:

How can I find out exactly what interior color my car left the factory with?
Old 07-01-09, 12:39 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

with the real vin of the car you should be able to register it at lexus.com and see what the factory color is.
Old 07-01-09, 12:42 PM
95silversc
Rookie

Im a freakin retard. I callled the dealer. I gave them my vin and they simply looked it up for me! Its a 1995 it came with the Platinum Metallic (1A0). And black interior!

edit:
Thanks sc-driver! U posted while I was posting thanks tho!

Last edited by 95silversc; 07-01-09 at 12:43 PM. Reason: drgsdfgsdfgsdfg