Search this Thread

Old 07-04-09, 02:24 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Avarec
rand p is one smart fella, got good point

anyhow, steer clear of car payments, if you cant afford it DONT BUY IT,
also we have great used car market, roads are good and cars are serviced(majority) and nothing is gonna go wrong with couple year old car but do math and see how much cash stays in youre pocket going with used car

also i sure as hell drive 2000 lex that '09 kia(not a bad car at all but image is shady and cheap)
Nobody is questioning if buying a 1 year old car is more beneficial than buying new. Nor is anybody asking if you, me, or the next guy can afford a car payment. The thread was simply asking if anybody is considering trading in their SC since they fall into the "cash for clunker" category... but thanks for your .02.............

and for the record, i agree w/you. i too, would also rather drive a used Lexus over an '09 Kia... thats why i'm on this forum and not the Kia forum... if they even have one that is....
Old 07-04-09, 03:44 PM
an70n
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RANDY P
This just screws it up for those of us who are looking for project cars or good deals. a barely running POS is now worth how much??? Also, what do you think this is all about? Better gas mileage? At what expense, a new car at thousands of dollars or a big car payment?

This is just here to make buyers buy new cars and help bail out automakers, it has nothing to do with energy efficiency. Get a bit better gas mileage, get a depreciating asset and most likely a big fat car payment and we create more landfills instead of keeping existing cars on the road.

Hot Rodders make up less than 10% of the driving population in this country.

**** on this administration. We are doomed.

rjp
I have to totally agree with this.

Also, if you're so concerned w/ reducing pollution to "save the environment", just take into consideration how much pollution is created when making a new car rather than getting a used one and keeping it in good condition.

I know that for awhile big buisness has been jumping on the environmentalism band wagon, but now government is encouraging rewarding behavior? I guess it's all just a vicious cycle of where the greed in the end.
Old 08-10-09, 08:45 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

I know this is an old thread but I wonder if there are alot of good SCs getting destroyed because of this by now
Old 08-10-09, 08:52 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Default clunkers

Junk yards will be able to sell parts form clunkers.They wont be able to sell the motor trans and major parts.They drop some mixture in the engine and kills it in about 30 seconds
Old 08-10-09, 10:38 AM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alredxiii
Junk yards will be able to sell parts form clunkers.They wont be able to sell the motor trans and major parts.They drop some mixture in the engine and kills it in about 30 seconds
Like a lethal injection
Old 08-10-09, 11:41 AM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xknowonex
I know this is an old thread but I wonder if there are alot of good SCs getting destroyed because of this by now
Yes there are some, as a matter of fact, I was able to get my hands on one, my boi works for a dealership which I wont mention ... called me up, came an switched the front seats, door panels, an center console ... now my baby's looking brand new again inside ... an the "clunker" only had 102,000miles ... just starting to wake up ...
Old 08-10-09, 06:23 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blu SC3
Yes there are some, as a matter of fact, I was able to get my hands on one, my boi works for a dealership which I wont mention ... called me up, came an switched the front seats, door panels, an center console ... now my baby's looking brand new again inside ... an the "clunker" only had 102,000miles ... just starting to wake up ...
Wow only 102k miles

Its funny because before taking my car into the shop for a paint job, I actually considered selling every part possible from it and then trade in a completely trashed up rolling shell. However, for me to get $4500 from it, I needed to get a car that gets 28mpg for the 10mpg difference and there are no 28mpg+ cars that I am even remotely interested in.

So instead, I kept the SC and dumped alot more money into it.
Old 08-10-09, 08:30 PM
IClexus
Driver School Candidate

Sup guys, this would be my first post here. I dont got a lexus sc but been i gots a mustanf lil, but been looking for awhile where i am at, well i work at a honda dealership and when i came in to work today i seen a 92 5 speed sc300 that jus got clunkered :-/. It had abt 200,000 miles or so :-/ i took it for a drive around to see how it is and it drove pretty good :-( sad to see it get trashed since i was considering on getting a 300 bt want a 400. Bt ehhh :-/
Old 08-10-09, 11:19 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it is happening and what a shame for nice sc's
http://www.tennspeed.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12903
Old 08-11-09, 01:34 AM
ahhyes300
Pole Position

Angry

Originally Posted by RANDY P
This just screws it up for those of us who are looking for project cars or good deals. a barely running POS is now worth how much??? Also, what do you think this is all about? Better gas mileage? At what expense, a new car at thousands of dollars or a big car payment?

This is just here to make buyers buy new cars and help bail out automakers, And because our president listens to these tree hugging freaks who think everyone should be forced to drive hybrids (Which if you research it, are actually not much better on the old Global warming Theory)

**** on this administration. We are doomed.

rjp
Fixed it for ya. Far be it for me to start a political rant on clublexus, but I hate the cash for clunkers program! What a slap in the face waste of money and resources. If you're going to waste my tax money, as well as my childrens, at least regenerate money or "stimulate" the economy by reselling the "clunkers". This was designed by a bunch of ****** that see automobiles as nothing more than a point a, to point b machine and want emissions testing in every state. I'll stop typing this before I get labeled a "liberal conservative mob", but I'm really upset with some of the nice machines going to waste. 1/20/2013 can't come soon enough if you ask me...
Old 08-11-09, 01:08 PM
F4A22
Pole Position

Sc400 got traded in at my job for CFC.Guess where the front lip went......
Old 08-11-09, 01:29 PM
ahhyes300
Pole Position

Nice save. Steal whatever you can
Old 08-11-09, 01:42 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BigManne
it is happening and what a shame for nice sc's
http://www.tennspeed.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12903
man that's sad, that teal SC was for sale right before i bought my teal SC a couple years ago, i remember i wanted it cause it was clean as hell, now it's being destroyed
Old 08-11-09, 05:56 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by aka paco
man that's sad, that teal SC was for sale right before i bought my teal SC a couple years ago, i remember i wanted it cause it was clean as hell, now it's being destroyed

Old 08-11-09, 08:52 PM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Wow only 102k miles

Its funny because before taking my car into the shop for a paint job, I actually considered selling every part possible from it and then trade in a completely trashed up rolling shell. However, for me to get $4500 from it, I needed to get a car that gets 28mpg for the 10mpg difference and there are no 28mpg+ cars that I am even remotely interested in.

So instead, I kept the SC and dumped alot more money into it.
lol thats actually not a bad idea, but my thing is I'm trying to stay away from payments, but I only plan on having the car for a another year or so an I only have 108k right now

Quick Reply: **Cash for your Clunker SC......?**