SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DIY Headlight restoration without taking off the lense or headlight

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 11:02 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome job prodigy95.... I've been meaning to do the same to my headlight. Looks like it gets a lot easier and easier these days since companies like Meguiars comes out with better chemicals than doing the sanding process etc....
Old 10-10-09, 10:38 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should hit the lights with some 2000 grit and then scratch-x before waxing. Your headlights are most likely VERY scratched after the 1500 grit. The wax is doing more than protecting them from yellowing, it's filling the scratches and making them look clear. As soon as that wax wears off it will look horrible. It won't be yellow but it will look "frosted".
Old 10-13-09, 08:37 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Everyone needs to understand that wax does not have polishing capabilities. It's wax, not polish.

More than likely, the wax was put on very thick (another no no) and filled in the tiny sanding marks. It will probably wear off soon.

After sanding, it really is ideal to use an abrasive polish/compound to remove the very fine scratches.

For now, the improvement is very noticeable though, OP.
Old 10-14-09, 01:15 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Clean lenses and dirty projectors... tisk, tisk....... Function or form, choose your weapon.
Old 02-06-10, 06:54 PM
Badmittn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hil
So I just wetsanded one of my low beams. I used the Meguairs Cleaner wax as well but the liquid.. not working well for me. Still a bunch of scratches which gives me a cloudy look maybe the solid works better?
Sandpaper is about the most damaging thing you can put on a plastic headlight.
You have to use it if you are resurfacing but if you just got yellowing or clouding from oxidation you will do more harm than good with sandpaper wet or dry.
Sandpaper will put scratches in your headlights and cloud them up permanently.
Alway go the least abrasive route first.
Sandpaper should be viewed as a last resort.
Old 02-06-10, 11:23 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Badmittn
Sandpaper is about the most damaging thing you can put on a plastic headlight.
You have to use it if you are resurfacing but if you just got yellowing or clouding from oxidation you will do more harm than good with sandpaper wet or dry.
Sandpaper will put scratches in your headlights and cloud them up permanently.
Alway go the least abrasive route first.
Sandpaper should be viewed as a last resort.
Correct, to a degree.

Sanding Properly will lead to the best results by far. Being old plastic, alot of these lights have things embedded in them that won't be removed by store-bought plastic polish alone.
Old 02-07-10, 12:03 PM
potatoBBQ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by prodigy95
fog light
Heh, this is pretty off topic, but what are you using in your fogs? I'm currently using Hella Yellow Star H3s in my fog lights, but they're nowhere near as yellow as your fogs and I was thinking of switching to 3000k HIDs.
Old 02-07-10, 01:14 PM
prodigy95
Driver

lol to all the guys above that said scratchs would appear and that it would dull, sorry but my headlights are still perfect, and thats 7 months after me making that post, if you follow my directions it will come out perfect, and 1500 grit came out very well, if you go to a high girt it will obviously be easier to make it smoother and clearer, but you have to start at a lower gradient to clean the yellowing and cloudiness out, then you wetsand to polish it, and wax to shine, and wax comes with uv protection which prevents damage to the plastic. And to potatoBBQ, I actually used the yellow h3 bulbs for like 8 bucks off of ebay, and they were very yellow. but one blub blew a few months back, so now its HID time, 6k tho, i have heard 3k hid is not rich in color, but that's just what i have heard.
Old 02-07-10, 01:16 PM
prodigy95
Driver

Originally Posted by Killa-Hz
Clean lenses and dirty projectors... tisk, tisk....... Function or form, choose your weapon.
i so wish i could of cleaned the actual projector, but i am way to scared to open up the headlight, but you do make a good point
Old 05-03-10, 11:07 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Fron Fliptrix

If your lights are really bad and have a bunch of scratches a good process would be to wetsand with 800grit until all the yellowing is gone, sanding horizontally or vertically, then sanding with 1000grit sanding the opposite way (so if you sanded horizontally the first time then sand vertically), then on to 1500grit sanding the opposite of what you last did (so alternating horizontally and vertically), then finally 2000grit. After the sanding clean them up and polish them with some wax/rubbing compound/or plastX (which is what i did). Then they'll turn out awesome

Usually if your lights are beat up then you could go this route, but if they aren't too bad then you really wouldn't need to start with the 800grit.

Quick summary: wetsand w/800grit (alternating horizontally/vertically as you change grit) > 1000 > 1500 > 2000 > clean up and buff

Thank you for pposting that. I follow exactly the same process with GREAT results. That first layer of yellow plastic is pretty thick and it takes 800 to make a dent. Using 1500 I think you are just polishng the outside of that clouded layer. You did a great job but there is more to be had fro your effort.

HTH

john