SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

AIT racing ACS body kit knock off of auto-couture.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-09, 07:57 AM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm getting it. This is awesome.
Old 07-06-09, 08:19 AM
prodigy95
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ehh obviously i started somthing bad brewing here, but in my opinion, i really dont care if people are going to have this opinion of knock off are bad, and people that use it have "no honor" as hellaflush said. All of you go to the doctor, and either you can get the expensive original brand medicine or you can get the cheaper generic brand, most ppl opt for the generic brand and hey, technically they are "knock offs" but they still work and no one complains about them. So if you got a problem with knock offs, just keep your old ideology to yourself and dont hate on people that cant afford a real AC kit or vertex kit, cause we all are just trying to make our cars they way we want them to be.
Old 07-06-09, 08:33 AM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issue arises that if you buy knock-off parts, the original CREATIVE manufacturer doesn't get any money, the knock off guys get money, the original creator goes out of business -or really suffers- and can't create as much cool new stuff for the SC, and the knock off guys just go about stealing more ideas. It's actually a crime, but most of these original bodykits aren't produced in the USA so it's hard to prosecute.

Just some thoughts on the matter. Knock offs kill alot of 'new' original parts coming out because the manufacturer gets little profits once the copies hit.
Old 07-06-09, 09:11 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jay-Balrog
fiberglass is fiberglass....unless its urethane. an authentic brandname kit can only be so much better then a knockoff. maybe slightly better fitment. but nowhere near enough to warrant 5 times the price.

now if youre talkin performance parts...brands are usually significantly better then knockoffs even tho there are exceptions.

but cosmetics are cosmetics.
Even with performance parts, there are stuff that are simple to make and work as good as the original for 1/x the price such as intercoolers. I know a couple of the guys from Supraforums who are running eBay intercoolors and they make way over 500hp.

There are also things that have no equivalent such as brakes, turbos, coilovers, and 3 piece wheels. Multi-piece wheels are a work of art and I have yet to see one replicated for cheap that looks like the original, hence the reason why I invested a good amount in my Works and Teins (as opposed to the cheaper brands like Megans) years ago
Old 07-06-09, 09:19 AM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Why do so many people think that $2400 is a reasonable price? I might get this kit depending on the reviews of someone else first
Old 07-06-09, 09:23 AM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Soo Megan coils are knock offs now?
Old 07-06-09, 09:49 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Twan0690
Soo Megan coils are knock offs now?
No they are not knock offs but I mentioned their name since they are a low cost coilover system compared to the other established brands such as Tein, HKS, Blitz etc.
Old 07-06-09, 09:52 AM
KingSoarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
The issue arises that if you buy knock-off parts, the original CREATIVE manufacturer doesn't get any money, the knock off guys get money, the original creator goes out of business -or really suffers- and can't create as much cool new stuff for the SC, and the knock off guys just go about stealing more ideas. It's actually a crime, but most of these original bodykits aren't produced in the USA so it's hard to prosecute.

Just some thoughts on the matter. Knock offs kill alot of 'new' original parts coming out because the manufacturer gets little profits once the copies hit.
But you can compare that with knock offs. The price is for those that can afford it, for those that cant well they dont get a kit do they. So the target market is not effected. If people have the money they will go genuine again and again be it for quality, genuine fitment or genuine snob status. So those that cant afford a genuine item dont really affect the original manufacturer. Its their own profit margins that lead to this. The materials to make a genuine kit would be stuff all. However saying that i buy genuine however i always consider what is reasonable and what isnt. For us in Australia a genuine AC kit is $4,750 USD which is insane, if the genuine item was sold for $1200 USD id buy it in a second. As a result to my understanding there is only one car in Australia running an AC kit.
Old 07-06-09, 09:53 AM
LuxuryMods
Former Sponsor

*sighs* Looks like they've used my picture without permission. Very sad day when AC has been copied...
Old 07-06-09, 10:41 AM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LuxuryMods
*sighs* Looks like they've used my picture without permission. Very sad day when AC has been copied...
This is the only thing that bothers me about this kit
Old 07-06-09, 11:24 AM
prodigy95
Driver

damn man, maybe you should called them out on it. could get profit because they are technically making money cause of your car being advertise. I agree with the person above me, that's wrong when you use something without permission.
Old 07-06-09, 01:31 PM
Billy305
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with a lot that has been posted above...
This is by far my favorite style, but to ME, 2,400 is not reasonable. I'm not saying it isn't a fair price. Just not reasonable to me. If I buy this kit it wont be causing the original designer to be losing any money because if this wasn't available, I would not ever be buying a real one. It's a sucky thing in life but good design is always going to be desired and imitated. With that being said, someone buy this thing and let us know how it fits!
Old 07-06-09, 01:39 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KingSoarer
But you can compare that with knock offs. The price is for those that can afford it, for those that cant well they dont get a kit do they. So the target market is not effected. If people have the money they will go genuine again and again be it for quality, genuine fitment or genuine snob status. So those that cant afford a genuine item dont really affect the original manufacturer. Its their own profit margins that lead to this. The materials to make a genuine kit would be stuff all. However saying that i buy genuine however i always consider what is reasonable and what isnt. For us in Australia a genuine AC kit is $4,750 USD which is insane, if the genuine item was sold for $1200 USD id buy it in a second. As a result to my understanding there is only one car in Australia running an AC kit.
To make something from scratch costs development money.
A genuine manufacturer has a right to make that back by charging more than someone who just steals a design. I'm not saying don't buy it, but know what you are doing to the creative part of this industry when you DO buy the knock-off ATLEAST. The target market is affected because they want something exclusive, and now quite possibly will look elsewhere for something "different". Your argument is flimsy.
Old 07-06-09, 03:53 PM
wheels 2
Pole Position

You could call them and say I want you to take my picture down.Or you can give a kit for free and we will call it even.

Just a thought.
Old 07-06-09, 03:58 PM
DJ420a
Pole Position

After I see some real life/right parts pictures and I likey...sure I'll jump on the wagon. Ive always loved this kit, but I could never justify spending $2400 on fiberglass exterior parts. Thats why I spent $1200 on an OEM 97+ kit instead....used.

Dont get me wrong, AC, you make a BADAAAAASS kit

Quick Reply: AIT racing ACS body kit knock off of auto-couture.