SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Wheelskins leather color matching

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-03, 04:36 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its already been sanded and redyed and I have worn through that. I am holding out till spring for a 98-99 SC400 silver. Tired of this black car. Looks great, but so hard to keep clean.
Old 05-03-04, 12:40 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Default I know I know...old as hell...

Okay, I know this thread is old as a ***** but I recently got fed up with my throughly beaten steering wheel and saw this as a possible short term inexpensive fix.

I received a packet of swatches from Wheelskins to see which color I like best (sand, oak, brown, or tan). Let me start by saying that 2 of them definitely look off. The sand is way too light, looks cool for a split sec then wears on you very quickly because it's way too light. The oak is off as well, doesn't match anything else in the cabin and the color will most likely change due to the oils in the palm of your hands and such. That just leaves the brown and the tan....At this point I'm leaning towards the brown, just because it's slightly darker so the color should stay true for the most part and it just seems to look best with the tan interior. I want to hear from other wheelskin owners who have the tan SC interior and see what colors they have. I'm trying to stay away from the black and keep my interior with earthtones, even though black is obviously the easiest color to match. Brown or Tan?????
Old 05-03-04, 04:54 PM
2kwiq
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's my pic of wheelskins with oak and tan...forgot what was what...got perferated on the sides...maybe this can help you decide.

Old 05-04-04, 03:07 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up

2kwiq, good lookin' out....You sure that yours is oak and tan because it looks more like sand and tan...I've been looking at the wheelskin swatches for the last week so these colors are a permanent part of my memory now...I personally didn't like the tan or sand colors because they were lighter than the rest of the wheel, I learned a while ago that most leather darkens as time passes and oils from your skin transfers onto it, that being the case I decided on the brown wheelskin cover with perforations on top and bottom, I should have it this weekend hopefully. Oak was a nice color as well and I was torn between the brown and the oak, but after looking at it over a hundred times I settled on the brown. How has your cover held up over all this time?

Last edited by mikeloc24; 05-04-04 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-04-04, 04:14 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

I have the oak, and it looks like crap. If i did anything over again i would get black to match the shifter. I am going to do the wood wheel with new leather if they ever fire up a group buy again.
Old 05-04-04, 09:43 PM
2kwiq
Rookie

you are probably right about the colors...i forget...

just make sure you stitch it tightly the first time...otherwise, it'll bother you if one part isn't as tight as the rest...i did the baseball double stitching it took longer but looks more stock...you can search for the technique somewhere...if you are interested i am sure i can find the link...google yourself to save my drunk *** some work...

mines has been on for about 5 months...durability has been good so far...
Old 05-05-04, 12:24 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Default yeah!

Originally posted by 2kwiq
you are probably right about the colors...i forget...

just make sure you stitch it tightly the first time...otherwise, it'll bother you if one part isn't as tight as the rest...i did the baseball double stitching it took longer but looks more stock...you can search for the technique somewhere...if you are interested i am sure i can find the link...google yourself to save my drunk *** some work...

mines has been on for about 5 months...durability has been good so far...
Yeah man, those damn colors are constantly in my head, I'll be glad when this minor project is over so I can forget about it. My steering wheel has just been bugging me lately, looks like crap from the outside looking in through the driver's side window. I'll do a search for the baseball double stitching, I already planned to take about an hour to put this on, I'll be in no rush as I have to put my cluster back in this weekend as well...well, if it arrives by Friday that is...I hope it does...having to remember to get gas every 5 days sucks...but anyway, thanks for the info.

Camshaft, I was planning to go black as well but remembered that I put some chocolate colored Target mats in my car so the brown wheelskin should make that look kinda cool, everyone who's seen my car likes the dark brown mats (plus they stay a little cleaner than tans ones). Too bad Wheelskins doesn't have an exact match for the stock wheel...oh well...I think the brown should look hot, I got perf on top and bottom. I was kinda worried for a sec because when you get the Europerf style the cover comes as 4 pieces stitched together (2 perf pieces and 2 flat pieces) instead of one single piece of leather, but when I inspected my steering wheel I saw that it's leather is in sections too so this shouldn't cause any problems. All in all for $40 it should serve my purposes. Now I gotta do something about the damn shifter's leather and scratched up shifter plate *&%^$#@!!!....

Last edited by mikeloc24; 05-05-04 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-05-04, 03:27 PM
2kwiq
Rookie

here is the link for Baseball stitching

and plan on four plus (yes, 4) hours to put it in. took me about that the first time...believe me, i didn't think it would be that long either...just plan your activities accordingly

it might be 2.5 with the single stitch method...that link is pretty cool...so check it out...lots of car detailing stuff in it too...
Old 05-05-04, 04:23 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Default WTF?!?!!!

Originally posted by 2kwiq
here is the link for Baseball stitching

and plan on four plus (yes, 4) hours to put it in. took me about that the first time...believe me, i didn't think it would be that long either...just plan your activities accordingly

it might be 2.5 with the single stitch method...that link is pretty cool...so check it out...lots of car detailing stuff in it too...
Gaaaaawddamn! 4 hours to double stitch a cover on a steering wheel??? Oh well, I have that day dedicated to the car anyway....frickety frack! Is there anything simple anymore??? Don't answer that....