SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

ls1 sc300

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-10, 08:23 PM
Munki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An LS powered SC would be pretty cool. JZ engines weigh a ton compared to a LSX. If the engine is healthy you can run a decent twin turbo setup and push out some crazy numbers.
Old 11-15-10, 10:31 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djkevin510
when i went to dgr fab i did not see a scls1 but i did see a mustang,supra,gs300,240 all ls1 manual ..... when i talked to them they said they only picked up the sc300 shell for like 400 bucks just to mock up and fab the engine mounts so i dont think its a project. i think they just used it to make mounts and junked it.

sorry to break the news about the sc300 ls1 lol and i even seen a mosnter truck there... like a roll caged up/tube frame of some kind of pick up truck with like semi truck wheels rims and like fattty tires.
Originally Posted by djkevin510
chris hit me up ill try to get talk to them and get a deal for you. i might go there soon to get something like this done to my front end. i already talked numbers with him about doing my front end.

"If i keep the car"

Yeah see what you can do for me. Im going to call anyway and see if they will still honor the quote I was given, and if they will, I will have the engine/trans/mounts/cam/springs/rods this next week, and have everything in the car within 3 days.

Originally Posted by rpk2012
SC4 or 3? BTW, I will find out but the gto tranny is IIRC longer and hard to fit. Is this the correct tranny for the swap or does the transam one work better?

I have an sc4 and the mounts would be different from the GS/sc3. I am still trying to find out about the oil pan, and if it needs to be modded with the sc4 crossmember. If you know any of these answers it will be great.

EDIT** Prolly will need to go sc3 crossmember and fly to pickup the mounts. The GS kit should work with sc no problem though, dunno why they needed to mock, all should be same for 2j motor fitment right?

I have no idea about the differences in T56 transmissions, but I do know that the $900 I was quoted for the mounts and urethane's included a modded crossmember (have to ship mine to them) so no oil pan mods were needed. If you want to mod the crossmember yourself, they told me $800 for the mounts.

But you should beable to just swap the SC3 crossmember, but I really dont know much about the SC400's and the differences with the 300's..? And as far as I know the only difference with the GS and SC mounts might be the transmission, but again, my SC knowledge is primarily limited to the 300's.

Originally Posted by Munki
An LS powered SC would be pretty cool. JZ engines weigh a ton compared to a LSX. If the engine is healthy you can run a decent twin turbo setup and push out some crazy numbers.
Well when the time does come for boost, it will be very conservative 7psi single turbo (under-hood, not STS), but that wont be a concern till sometime mid to late 2011. Right now the plan is just a cam and get the car on the road.
Old 11-15-10, 11:15 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by turbodremz

... I have no idea about the differences in T56 transmissions, ...

These were posted on here recently:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post5928647

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98387
Old 11-15-10, 11:42 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Good info there, but I should have chosen my words a bit wiser. I dont know of any physical size differences. As far as the gear ratios, those I know of. Only issue I will have with the trans, is finding the best suitable diff-ratio to pair with the GTO's T56 ( RPO M12).......been considering the MK4 TT 3.76 auto diff, but the stock GTO's diff IIRC is 3.46..
Old 11-15-10, 11:47 PM
AerialAce
Rookie

Its been said many a times, the LSX just makes everything better =). Back before I bought my LS400 and was thinking about an SC400 I was looking into the LS1 as a replacement motor because UZ performance parts are either non existent or not very cost efficient because of low demand. The common JZ swap just seemed too easy and too predictable, like someone said a few pages back I wanted to be the guy that stood out at a meet not someone who blends in and becomes easily unnoticeable. Really want to see this awesome build completed.
Old 11-16-10, 12:07 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AerialAce
Its been said many a times, the LSX just makes everything better =). Back before I bought my LS400 and was thinking about an SC400 I was looking into the LS1 as a replacement motor because UZ performance parts are either non existent or not very cost efficient because of low demand. The common JZ swap just seemed too easy and too predictable, like someone said a few pages back I wanted to be the guy that stood out at a meet not someone who blends in and becomes easily unnoticeable. Really want to see this awesome build completed.
^^exactly why I am doing it all the way to the end. As far as I know, I will have the first LS1/T56 SC300 in TX, unless someone does the swap faster than me or there is already one that I dont know of. But cost to power ratio, the LS1 made sense when I was about to take my na-t build to the next step (HG, standalone, COP, injectors, 5-spd conversion, etc) and figured, I could make the same HP for 1/5 the cost with an LS1. Took me around $3k total to hit an estimated 330rwhp with my stock 2JZ na-t, but will cost less than $1k (not including tuning) to get 400hp from the LS1 with a simple cam and some head work. Yes the LS1/T56 is going to run me $5.5k, mounts $500-1000, custom driveshaft, BBK, and other misc, but when it comes to making more streetable, daily reliable HP, I asked myself why I didnt go with an LSX from the start...

But rest assured CL, as soon as I get the engine ordered, I will have a thread started, and will be taking pictures step by step..including keeping the PS and a/c...
Old 11-16-10, 08:27 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Good info there, but I should have chosen my words a bit wiser. I dont know of any physical size differences. As far as the gear ratios, those I know of. Only issue I will have with the trans, is finding the best suitable diff-ratio to pair with the GTO's T56 ( RPO M12).......been considering the MK4 TT 3.76 auto diff, but the stock GTO's diff IIRC is 3.46..
Did you catch this post from shern . . .

Originally Posted by shern
I'm subscribed with enthusiasm. T56 transmissions can be purchased for small money.

One thing to note as I've been researching LSx swaps; there are different shifter locations for different flavors of T56 transmissions out there as you can see below just like our W58/R154s!

Old 11-16-10, 08:44 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

^^^ No that I did not see, and thank you. Not sure how I missed that. And by looking at the bellhousing, it seems the Camaro trans might be a better fit at the firewall, but is slightly shorter at the output shaft seal...hmm

Well that will work just fine then, cause the GTO LS1 that I was going to order this morning, was sold last night. So I found a 2001 LS1 from a WS6 T/A with 56k miles on it, for $800 cheaper. So either tonight or tomorrow, the engine will be ordered, then once everything is in, the car and engine will be dropped off at a local shop and have the mount brackets made. I decided not to go with DGR after trying to call this morning, only to find the number I was given was no good. So I will be allowing and promoting a local Houston shop to do the mounts.

Also will be ordering my cam this evening, clutch pedal with master cylinder (and the brake pedal), and am going to get my radiator/fans ordered. Only thing left after that is the DS, which will more than likely be a 1-piece aluminum from DSS.com, and then the exhaust which I am still planning in my head. Then the wiring work, which should be easy, and I think Im going to leave the stock 2J ecu to run my accessories, and simply wire the 12v and grounds where needed to run the engine..oh and the Dakota Digital boxes.
Old 11-16-10, 10:07 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
I notice that the only people who have something negative to say about the swap are the ignorant/uneducated import fanboys.

Look at facts, guys, not what your neighborhood Honda friends say.

I'm excited to see updates, as well as info for the swap kit.
iam sorry but you drive an import car, and this is an import car forum. People putting down the marvel of the jz series engine is dissapointing. the pro drivers in japan don't swap ls engines into everything. and how come their rx7's are the fastest in the world?? (not just because of the 20b).

Iam saying if you are swinging on the ls engine that hard then but a domestic car. yes nothing wrong with being creative., but just to put down the jz engine(because theres lag) like some sissies were complaining. is just down right a disgrace..

Now me iam jdm as ****. i'd take a c6(only) z06 vette or a zr1. but i would keep thier engines in thier perspective bodies. the only reason i have a swapped s13(rb20).Is because you cant get skylines over here. so the best option. and for my 400 soarers arent sold over here either..

i think this discussion has taken a n/a v.s. turbo turn. if you want 2 swap a slo as **** 1uz out for another v8 fine. but the ls engine can't hold a candle to the jz series..

proof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZqtJTlXON8
Old 11-16-10, 10:14 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ ok now lets put some boost to a ls series motor with the same amount of modding that that 2jz has... hmmmm 5.7 vs 3.0..... hmmmm 5.7 wins. plus with a good tune the lsx gets like 35 mpg!!!

also stock the ls1 has tons more potential. and i would much rather have 400whp all motor than 400whp with a turbo theres no waiting involved its all there once you touch the pedal. i would deff do a ls1 swap if it ends up being petty simple to do.

Last edited by iridebmx; 11-16-10 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-16-10, 11:22 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

I was waiting for the negativity to start again. But Im not doing my LSX swap cause I dont like the 2JZ, Im doing it for the simple FACT, that the LSX will make cheaper and more reliable power without the need of a turbo, and that has been proven time and time again.

IMO, I could care less what 99% people think or say about me doing an LS swap. I could easily spend another $2k and get a GTE/V160, but then I would be the 3rd Garnet SC300 that pre-95 here on the forums with that swap that I know of. I could easily do a 1JZ swap, I even have a single turbo 1jz/r154 sitting in my garage at the moment, but then I would just be jumping in the pool of the JZ series again.

Yes the LSX is a bit of a swap wh***, but there is a reason for that, same with the 2JZ. LSX and 2JZ S-chassis Nissans are dime-a-dozen these days, but how many RUNNING LS swapped SC's are there??? vs. GTE SC's?? Trust me, if I had the cash, I would go with the 2011 5.0l Cobra-Jet 500+hp, and I would do it just to be different.

The whole 2JZ vs. XXXX engine is over played and downright ignorant if you ask me. You can only compare apples and oranges so many times. Yes the 2JZ can be a power house, along with any other engine, just depends on how much money you want to spend to make the power. Those of you stuck on Toyota, get off of it. There are more options out there, and Ill take 400+rwhp with a simple cam swap over doing another 300+rwhp na-t kit any day.
Old 11-16-10, 11:47 AM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iridebmx
^^^ ok now lets put some boost to a ls series motor with the same amount of modding that that 2jz has... hmmmm 5.7 vs 3.0..... hmmmm 5.7 wins. plus with a good tune the lsx gets like 35 mpg!!!
i dont believe this..
im not anti domestic's at all i was shopping for an old muscle car before purchasing my sc3 and will be looking for an old truck to put a hefty v8 in..however
i do not think a stock ls1 can handle as much or make as much power as a 2jz stock form or turbo'd(single big turbo's)..(2jzgte vs ls1)
just my .02
Old 11-16-10, 11:53 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Like always good threads turn into a huge VS thread Turbodremz do ur thing finish it and post it up. I am sure there are alot of ppl that would love to see it completed and dont respond the die hards that are pretty closed minded. I personaly wouldnt do this swap because I am one of those Toyota die hards BUT I still like to see insane builds done right and an SC with an LSx would be pretty tight. I mean there is already a 2GS on these boards running an LS1 with T56 trans so why not an SC. Oh and on a side note my daily driver is a Chevy =P
Old 11-16-10, 11:55 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by megamax
i think this discussion has taken a n/a v.s. turbo turn. if you want 2 swap a slo as **** 1uz out for another v8 fine. but the ls engine can't hold a candle to the jz series..
Yea, because the 1uz can't do anything but be slow...
Old 11-16-10, 12:04 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

I was waiting for the negativity to start again. But Im not doing my LSX swap cause I dont like the 2JZ, Im doing it for the simple FACT, that the LSX will make cheaper and more reliable power without the need of a turbo, and that has been proven time and time again.

IMO, I could care less what 99% people think or say about me doing an LS swap. I could easily spend another $2k and get a GTE/V160, but then I would be the 3rd Garnet SC300 that pre-95 here on the forums with that swap that I know of. I could easily do a 1JZ swap, I even have a single turbo 1jz/r154 sitting in my garage at the moment, but then I would just be jumping in the pool of the JZ series again.
how much do you want for that jz swap??(is harness included)??

Quick Reply: ls1 sc300