Bleed screw on SC300?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-09, 09:19 AM
javaco888
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleed screw on SC300?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if the SC300 had a bleed screw/bolt for the cooling system... If so, where is it?

I've searched, and have come across threads of parking up hill and letting the car run with the radiator cap off...

Thanks!
Old 07-13-09, 10:15 AM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buy one of these:

Spill-free funnel kit. Matco has them, Snap-on has them, you can probably find them at a Pepboys or Autozone.

different adapters for different applications.

keep filling it until the coolant/water stays half way up the funnel.
start the car with the heater on.
let the car idle with the occasional rev and 3000rpm hold for 5 seconds.
add coolant if needed.
keep and eye on your coolant temp gauge during this process
a good way to tell if its done is if there are no more air bubbles, coolant gauge is at operating temp, and your heater is blowing hot.

this funnel when full, makes it the highest point in the cooling system, which is why air will escape. thats why everyone tells you to jack up the front, etc.

no jacking up required here, shouldnt take any longer than 15mins, and you're system will be topped off. Also, opening the drain petcock at the bottom of the radiator while leaving the radiator cap on will create a vacuum and empty your resevoir for you. easy!

use the plug and hold the funnel over your resevoir, using the remainder of the coolant to fill your resevoir up, and dont worry about going a little over the full line, leaves room for any additional bubbles that might burp out when driving.
Old 07-13-09, 10:39 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

There is one on the radiator on the bottom it is called a drain ****.(probly going to get sensored lol) You should be able to turn it by hand if your looking to drain the system out. To drain the resevoir you have to take the mounting bolt off and dissconnect the rubber tube to drain it out. You can use the kit about it really works (we have it at our shop).
Old 07-13-09, 01:37 PM
javaco888
Driver School Candidate

i guess it doesn't have a bleed screw then.... weird...

Spooled, yeah i saw your post in another thread... that was my next option... thanx for the info...

ShoLex, "heh heh, hey beavis, he just said ****, heh heh".... thanx dude!
Old 07-13-09, 04:26 PM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

it would be on the driver side at the bottom of the radiator. there is a hole in the under engine cover for the coolant to come out w/o having to remove the cover
Old 07-13-09, 04:35 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Guys, bleeding is not the same as draining. Air wants to go up when placed in liquid. It makes no sense to have a bleeder bolt all the way at the bottom. Draining is not the same as bleeding

Some cars have bleeder bolts but it's unnecessary, which is why you don't see many cars with them anymore.
Old 07-13-09, 04:53 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bleeder screw is not necessary on the 2jz, as proven by the multiple timing belts/waterpumps I've replaced on customers cars.

The kit is the best option, and the cleanest. Parking uphill with the radiator cap off works, but is very messy and you're always adding coolant. The kit is like that pitchman slogan...."set it, and forget it!!"

If you are really **** and want to remove your overflow resevoir to empty it and clean it, you can remove it. Or like I said before, just leave the radiator cap on when you're draining the coolant via the petcock (drain) at the bottom of the radiator. It'll draw a vacuum and empty the resevoir, once empty, pop the radiator cap off for a faster drain.
Old 07-14-09, 08:13 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Spooled
buy one of these:

Spill-free funnel kit. Matco has them, Snap-on has them, you can probably find them at a Pepboys or Autozone.

different adapters for different applications.

keep filling it until the coolant/water stays half way up the funnel.
start the car with the heater on.
let the car idle with the occasional rev and 3000rpm hold for 5 seconds.
add coolant if needed.
keep and eye on your coolant temp gauge during this process
a good way to tell if its done is if there are no more air bubbles, coolant gauge is at operating temp, and your heater is blowing hot.

this funnel when full, makes it the highest point in the cooling system, which is why air will escape. thats why everyone tells you to jack up the front, etc.

no jacking up required here, shouldnt take any longer than 15mins, and you're system will be topped off. Also, opening the drain petcock at the bottom of the radiator while leaving the radiator cap on will create a vacuum and empty your resevoir for you. easy!

use the plug and hold the funnel over your resevoir, using the remainder of the coolant to fill your resevoir up, and dont worry about going a little over the full line, leaves room for any additional bubbles that might burp out when driving.
^ +1 that what i did friday ,i got all the air out of the system works really well ,i have been using that funnel for about 6 years I bought one when i had my Acura legend,Notorious for BHG,overheating.
One of the best tools ever.
Old 07-14-09, 10:11 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
Guys, bleeding is not the same as draining. Air wants to go up when placed in liquid. It makes no sense to have a bleeder bolt all the way at the bottom. Draining is not the same as bleeding

Some cars have bleeder bolts but it's unnecessary, which is why you don't see many cars with them anymore.
I guess I read that wrong I understand it now he was talking about air ,but I put it down for draining the coolant. Oh well...