SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

ATF draining... Obessive compulsive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-02, 08:59 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ATF draining... Obessive compulsive?

Alright, So I got the rhino ramps they actually give you enough clearance to drain the ATF fluid. But my big question is, how often is too often? I drained 2L my 1st time around, and it was BLACK and slimy... I know the previous owner wasn't very good about maintenance -- he was too buisy.

Anyhow, How often is too often?
What is the real dangers of over filling the ATF levels?

Final Question: What do the incraments on the dipstick stand for? Is it 1L notches on the stick???
1L 1L
^ Cold ^ Hot ^

?
hmmmm
Old 04-05-02, 09:32 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default black and slimy?

That was much more likely to have been engine oil.
Old 04-05-02, 09:54 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your ATF was black and slimy then you probably would have noticed your burned up transmission. That had to be motor oil. Pretty much the worst ATF I saw was an off color and slightly dark but also had a char smell. Basically if that is the condition then your tranny is a goner.
Old 04-05-02, 10:38 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Okay, so It was a bit of hyperbole, it wasn't slimy. But is was viscus. Beleive me, It wasn't the engine oil... engine oil doesn't smell like burn transmission fluid and come from your transmission pan... at least the last time I checked. But my questions still remain.

PS
Overfilling your ATF pan is obviously bad for your tranny, I'm just curious about the exact failure it will incite.
Old 04-05-02, 12:03 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Mine's been overfilled for 5 years, apparently.....

I bought mine at 45K miles 5 years ago, and now I'm at 75K. I think the dealer changes it at 15K, 30K, and 45K, but I'm not positive.

Anyway, I have not changed or topped off my ATF in all the time I've had it, but last month, the Jiffy Lube guy checked it as part of an oil change and said it was over-filled!

So while I can't speak for others and don't recommend you do it, having too much ATF has not harmed my trans. According to an ATF web page I checked, overfilled transmissions, just like engines, can aerate the fluid, which changes its friction characteristics and causes shifting problems. Underfilling can cause slow engagement and slipping.

By the way, the Jiffy Lube guy said new fluid should be a bright, strawberry pink. They do not carry the official Toyota ATF, but they use an additive that they add to Dextron (or Mercron, or whatever default ATF they use) that is supposed to increase its friction characteristics to the point where it mimics the Toyota ATF specs. It's a small bottle- I don't remember the name.

Don't know much else about it, but if it works it certainly is an economical alternative to buying 2 gallons of Toyota ATF for $40+ for a full ATF change.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 04-05-02 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-05-02, 02:56 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

hmmmmm thanks for the input Perry...

BTW folks, if you get a grinding noise around 39-50 MPH, it's proably VERY burnt ATF that needs to be changed. I had that vibration (almost like a stuck brake caliper) and now it's gone. The car shifts alot smother now.

Thanks again

PS.. When I get a chance I'll post some pics of my VERY burnt ATF.
Old 04-05-02, 03:12 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default burnt atf

If the ATF you drained from your tranx is as you descibe then something is VERY WRONG inside your tranX.

Unless you have been towing a trailer heavier than the car uphill on a regular basis., get thee to a tranx shop quickly.
Old 04-09-02, 09:19 AM
AlBoston
Pole Position

I highly recommend getting the transmission flushed then completely refilled. Just draining and filling leaves a lot of crud behind which new fluid will loosen up and cause this sludge to go through the transmission leading to failure. Flushing it cleans the internal parts and gets all the fluid out of the torque convertor (which take 1/3 the total fluid of the tranny). So it is very worth while to go to the lexus dealer and get the tranny FLUSHED and completely refilled with new ATF. Makes the car shift way better and almost like new. Should run about 150 bucks.
Old 04-09-02, 05:58 PM
black sc
Pole Position

Default Re: Mine's been overfilled for 5 years, apparently.....

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
I bought mine at 45K miles 5 years ago, and now I'm at 75K. I think the dealer changes it at 15K, 30K, and 45K, but I'm not positive.

Anyway, I have not changed or topped off my ATF in all the time I've had it, but last month, the Jiffy Lube guy checked it as part of an oil change and said it was over-filled!

So while I can't speak for others and don't recommend you do it, having too much ATF has not harmed my trans. According to an ATF web page I checked, overfilled transmissions, just like engines, can aerate the fluid, which changes its friction characteristics and causes shifting problems. Underfilling can cause slow engagement and slipping.

By the way, the Jiffy Lube guy said new fluid should be a bright, strawberry pink. They do not carry the official Toyota ATF, but they use an additive that they add to Dextron (or Mercron, or whatever default ATF they use) that is supposed to increase its friction characteristics to the point where it mimics the Toyota ATF specs. It's a small bottle- I don't remember the name.

Don't know much else about it, but if it works it certainly is an economical alternative to buying 2 gallons of Toyota ATF for $40+ for a full ATF change.
I don't know about adding a bottle and chages all the characteristics of Dexron to Type IV fluid. I would be reluctant on that. I once went to a Nissan dealer and the Master Tech told me that Jiffy Lube also sold something like Water Wetter but, it actually corroded the water veins. I heard several horror stories about those Quick oil stop places.
Old 04-14-02, 02:16 PM
007lexus
Driver

Originally posted by AlBoston
I highly recommend getting the transmission flushed then completely refilled. Just draining and filling leaves a lot of crud behind which new fluid will loosen up and cause this sludge to go through the transmission leading to failure. Flushing it cleans the internal parts and gets all the fluid out of the torque convertor (which take 1/3 the total fluid of the tranny). So it is very worth while to go to the lexus dealer and get the tranny FLUSHED and completely refilled with new ATF. Makes the car shift way better and almost like new. Should run about 150 bucks.
Just curious as to "what is meant by a flush on the tranny"?

Is it when you remove the tranny pan, clean the steel screen then replace with new gasket then add new Type IV fuild?