SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Turbo vs Supercharging Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-02, 09:57 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Lotus Espirit V-8 Twin Turbo and the upcoming Maybach V-12 TT (550 hp:eek: )
Old 04-06-02, 10:00 AM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
David, underhood heat is the smallest of the problems, that can be overcome with HPC coatings, thermal wrap, and you may have to relocate a couple wires, but regardless I disagree with your evaluation, you say 4 and 6 cyl are better for turbo, and 8cyl is better for SC. Actually, if anything, that should be reversed. An 8cyl is better for turbo because the higher exhaust gas volume will spool a turbo quicker than the 4 or the 6, which could benefit from an SC because these smaller engines wouldn't have to worry about spinning the motor to the point where you have sufficient exhaust pressure/volume to spool the turbine. Argue with that one!
I will!

Sure you'll have a higher exhaust gas volume with a V8, but you'll also have loads of plumbing to pipe all the exhaust through one turbo, and lose VERY valuable heat energy and dilute the pressure waves in the process. Moreover, you'll have a greater load on the compressor since you're trying to feed 8 cylinders instead of 4 or 6.

If ever there were an engine BORN to be turbo'd its the Mazda rotary....the exhaust gases go right out the side of the housing, down a short manifold and directly into the turbo. No valve to get in the way....thus you get a VERY hot unadulterated exhaust pulse to spin the turbine.
Old 04-06-02, 10:50 AM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

Has anyone ever tried a sequential supercharge-turbocharge solution? What I mean is to have instantly availible supercharger power at the low end and a big turbocharger at the high end. You would have to disengauge the supercharger once the turbo kicked in, to stop it's parasitic loss. Probably to much hardware to be worthwhile.
Yeah, HKS has done it on old school MR2s and they did a setup like that for the Meguiar's Integra. Also I think in the 80s the Lancia Delta rally car had a setup like this.
Old 04-06-02, 10:55 AM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Man..I'm so glad I started this thread. =)

Got some good discussions and information. Keep em coming..I want to know and read more!
Old 04-06-02, 01:09 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

if superchargers are bettter than turbos on V8s than why are all the fastest drag racers going for turbos...the pro 5.0 class which used to be dominated completly by nitroused and s/c stangs is now sitting the top guys with turboed 5.0 motors....the power produced is far greater...turbos are faster.....and to add to a point proven...why do lamans and other distance racer series have turboed and n/a cars......you just dont see s/c cars out there....
run a turbo car back to back to back on the dyno.......then run an s/c car back to back to back on the dyno and look at the losses......plus if you have a small amount of lag on a turbo car...it allows for normal every day driving out of boost.....and when you want to play just bring up the rpms...and play all day....
as for exahust gas....turbos use gasses and energy normally expelled and wasted....to make BIG hp
s/c requires a belt to run the charger..this takes away hp...no matter how you look at it...just like a power steering pump takes hp away....
Jeff
Old 04-06-02, 01:36 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally posted by SC300TURBO
if superchargers are bettter than turbos on V8s than why are all the fastest drag racers going for turbos...the pro 5.0 class which used to be dominated completly by nitroused and s/c stangs is now sitting the top guys with turboed 5.0 motors....the power produced is far greater...turbos are faster.....and to add to a point proven...why do lamans and other distance racer series have turboed and n/a cars......you just dont see s/c cars out there....
run a turbo car back to back to back on the dyno.......then run an s/c car back to back to back on the dyno and look at the losses......plus if you have a small amount of lag on a turbo car...it allows for normal every day driving out of boost.....and when you want to play just bring up the rpms...and play all day....
as for exahust gas....turbos use gasses and energy normally expelled and wasted....to make BIG hp
s/c requires a belt to run the charger..this takes away hp...no matter how you look at it...just like a power steering pump takes hp away....
Jeff
Yeah a bunch of the fastest cars in the world are V-8 or even V-10 Twin Turbos. First you have the (Lexus V-8 TT) HKS drag Supra ( 1479hp) that TXstyle recently posted. Then you have the "fastest Lexus in the World" which is a an SC400 V-8 Twin Turbo & finally there is the Viper Venom 800 done by Hennessy, ( just to show you I am not only backing Lexus turbo setups) which is also pretty fast but can't touch the Lex's

Last edited by JAC JZS; 04-06-02 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-06-02, 01:37 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Racing NOT!!

If you want to discuss SC vs Turbo in the racing venue then let's start another thread.

Race car engines and tranmissions are matched and tuned to keep the turbo "on-line" 99% of the time.

And the last I knew drag racing was pretty much an SC venue.

But.

Unless any or most of us plan to do anything with our turboes or SCed car in the racing venue then we should not be referring to what is best in those venues.

My specific interest is seeing a small lightweight engine that can cruise along "idling" and get 35MPG but if I need to pull out and pass a freightliner going uphill it will be instantly up to the task.
Old 04-06-02, 01:44 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

willard, sounds like you need a turbo!
Attached Thumbnails Turbo vs Supercharging   Pros and Cons-hks-twin-turbo-v8-supra-1479hp.jpg  
Old 04-06-02, 02:07 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
willard, sounds like you need a turbo!
I love that car! My friend who works for HKS has seen it in person:eek:
Old 04-06-02, 02:09 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Isn't the fastest Lexus in the world the Area 51 SC300 TT? An I-6? Regardless of how fast the Maybach Benz is, it is perhaps the ugliest looking expensive car I've ever seen in my life.

About turboing, does the turbocharger creating exhaust back pressure factor in as anything significant? Superchargers are still used in majority in Pro-stock drag racing (3000hps) and top-fuel boat/hydroplane racing (1500hps). Turbos may be a better choice in street useage, but superchargers can still dish out major power in drags.
Old 04-06-02, 02:18 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lex400sc
Isn't the fastest Lexus in the world the Area 51 SC300 TT? An I-6? Regardless of how fast the Maybach Benz is, it is perhaps the ugliest looking expensive car I've ever seen in my life.
lex400, I was talking about the BLAST SC400 in Japan that was posted a short while back. I have attached the link. The Maybach's front is hideous!

Here is the link

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...400+Twin+Turbo
Old 04-06-02, 02:21 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Cool, I never heard of the Blast SC. I only know the Area-51 SC is a 1.1sec 0-60 time, no idea of quater mile.
Old 04-06-02, 03:33 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Racing NOT!!

Originally posted by wwest

My specific interest is seeing a small lightweight engine that can cruise along "idling" and get 35MPG but if I need to pull out and pass a freightliner going uphill it will be instantly up to the task.
yup sounds like a turbo car to me turbos spool very fast with lots of load (going uphill)

--------------

Ok turbos make more power in the end and in the beginning and for the $$$. The only reason you would want a supercharger is for one of two things: you're too lazy to install a turbo system, or you crave instant response from a non-centrifugal blower.

There's a reason Nitromethane cars have turbo motors OUTLAWED. There was once a turbo car with a motor 3/4 the size of the SCd cars; running a HIGHER mixture of methanol in the gas than the SCd cars; and still made 30% more power and blew up every drivetrain piece they could throw at it; it NEVER went on a successful run because there wasn't a drivetrain piece in creation that could withstand the power the car was producing.

EAT THAT. SCs suck

And as Jeff once said, you boys thinking SC is worth it at all; well you won't be thinking that when your trying to see his taillights as he's leaving you like you're sitting there.

Corky Bell knows what he's talking about. There's a reason ALL the fast imports and domestics on the street are turbo cars. But for some reason people won't believe it; especially car manufactuers. New supercharged cars that come out **** me off so much because there should be more turbocharged cars. They are easier to modify, make more power, sound cooler, etc.

And one last thing. Turbos don't have bad response if you know how to launch your car They have worse response than a non-centrifugal supercharger if you're tootling along; but if you're craving response, do a thing called downshifting and stop being lazy

Last edited by Bean; 04-06-02 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-06-02, 04:48 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default SCs SUCK!

I always thought both SCs and turboes SUCK and then BLOW....
Old 04-06-02, 08:00 PM
SC400Turbo
Driver

Default Corky Bell Article on Charger vs Turbo

"It is interesting to note that the performance enthusiast is rapidly becoming aware that the turbo means huge amounts more of torque in low and mid range than an centrifugal supercharger."

Hey guys check out this great article on Turbo vs SC.

http://www.cartech.net/95mustang.html

Last edited by SC400Turbo; 04-08-02 at 09:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Turbo vs Supercharging Pros and Cons