SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Turbo vs Supercharging Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-02, 09:16 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bean, you must be referring to Gale Banks' Top Fuel car, right? Yeah, that car was ahead of it's time, but like you said, it was destroying the drivelines of the time, and turbos were outlawed shortly after that. Nice referrence, and an excellent point, it's like Indy cars, there's a reason turbos were outlawed. You know they were lying at the time about how much those 1500cc turbo motors were putting out, it's only recently come out that power was 1500+ hp, out of 1500cc! Show me a supercharger that can do that on the street, track, or otherwise.
Old 04-07-02, 10:24 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BEAN!!!! thank you...you posted what i was gonna say...NHRA outlawed turbos because the technology was destroying the classic s/c and there sponsors and older racers didnt like that idea......so NHRA outlawed them...they made too much power....

wwest...im refering to totaly street cars....you see...in a turbo car..on pump gas...i can click a button and be at 10psi....or 12psi...or 20psi....this way on driving back and forth to work i can take it easy on the motor and fuel and get great gas mileage....then when i want to play...hit the button and spank ***.....and for passing power..you can beat a turbo...thats where they completly destroy an s/c..from a roll....thats where a turbo shines...cause you already have the exahust gasses flowing.....turbos kick right in....just pick a gear and go....Jeff
Old 04-07-02, 11:16 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Jeff, I swear you're Satan with a wastegate. Really, i'm serious....
Old 04-07-02, 04:20 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

now why is that....i have never been called satan before....and now i should mention it will be an open to the atmosphere waste gate i am just showing or proving why i have such strong feelings about turbos and bad feelings about supercharging a car that was designed to handle a turbo.....turbo sc300 is one of the funest cars to drive ever....and i have driven alot of cars....if you are in miami ambye ill take ya for a ride and show ya j/k Jeff
Old 04-07-02, 05:30 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Jeff, I called you Satan with a wastegate 'cause you're like that little devil on my shoulder whispering 'booost,,,boooost'. I don't doubt you about how fun an SC3 turbo is, that's why i'm trying to convince my girlfriend to wait another year or two for that ring, if you know what I mean. I also have driven lots of fast cars, but if it will take a ride in your car to completely convince me, then we'll set it up next time i'm down there on business. I'm as much for turbo as you are, i'm not the one that needs convincing, Mohammed Chowdhurry is.
Old 04-08-02, 05:10 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

lololololololllll Mo is a lost cause..i tried to convince him a long time ago and he swore he could make over 500rwhp with a supercharged is300....which still hasnt happened.......and i guess i could be the little devil on your shoulder saying "boost booost boost.." i have done that to a few others and they do nothing but thank me later on i am in the same boat...i have been with my girlfriend for almost 5 years....and trying to tell her a T70 and haltech come before a ring isnt easy...lol.......so when are you getting an sc300?.....i have seen some 5spds around miami for sale lately......come on man.....everyone else is doing it....you will be cool.....everyone will like you.... Jeff AKA Turbo Pimp
Old 04-08-02, 09:38 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

You're a funny guy, Jeff. Funny how? Funny haha? Anyway, here's the plan: I've been talking with a couple of guys about turbo for the 1UZ, and I want to check out the possibilities fully, if it really is a wash, i'll enjoy the SC4 for the rest of the year, then sell it and build up a turbo SC3 probably sometime in 2003, if I sell this thing now for a different one, Deb will absolutely flip, but by next year i'll be able to manage a ring and a new SC hopefully, the ring alone is more than Toyomoto Stage 1.5, but i've convinced her to wait by selling both my bikes. I simply don't have room for another car, so it's one SC or the other, but trust me, it will happen. I'd prefer to build an automatic, yes the stick is lots of fun, but i'm more interested in consistent e.t.'s, and i'd prefer to put an auto behind a turbo motor, for reasons you and I are both well aware of. Considering my location, the next question will be what route to take, i'll order from Toyomoto and install the kit myself, or i'll have PF do the work completely and deliver me my boosted Soarer. Give me your thoughts, Jeff. PF Stage 2 includes their tubular equal-length stainless manifold w/ indy-style merge collector, T-66 turbo, Turbonetics Racegate, 3 1/2" x 24" x 17" FMIC, all alum IC piping, choice of BOV (probably GReddy TypeR), 3" catless dp, 440cc injectors, A'PEXi S-AFC, head gasket, ARP head bolts, and I believe there's also an Aeromotive FPR. You get 450rwhp for $10,500 installed, but with the head gasket and injectors done, i'm pretty sure I can tweak it into the high 400's. (For $12,500 they'll do the kit with the AEM ECU) Basically, once a fuel system is done and a speed density system is set up, I should be able to see some decent numbers.
- Jon
Attached Thumbnails Turbo vs Supercharging   Pros and Cons-osofast240-perf-factory-turbo-kit.jpg  
Old 04-08-02, 05:38 PM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

Wow...I didn't know that PF made a kit for our car...great to hear that. Anyways, with that kit...all it comes with is the S-AFC to control fuel? Is that all that is needed? This sounds like a great option...however it still is PF and their reputation is still questionable...thanks for the info tho
Old 04-08-02, 05:49 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Sammy, no prob, thought I told you about their kit? They also have a stage 1 that's a nice deal, and no questions of the capabilites of the manifold, it's been to the low 8's. If you're nervous because of what you heard, ask around, or call them and speak your mind 718-429-3773, you want to talk to Frankie or Mark, but Mark is the resident prodigy. I'll take a ride with you to TurboPeople also when I get some time bro, we never got to do that.
Attached Thumbnails Turbo vs Supercharging   Pros and Cons-osofast240-victor-broushet-queens-nissan-240sx-s14-2jz-ge-motor-vinny-ten-s-old-setup.jpg  
Old 04-08-02, 05:58 PM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

wuts up Jon,

yeah you told me that they made a turbo header but I didn't know they made an entire kit for sale. How much is there Stage 1 kit and wut does that have in it? I'm guessing it involves additional injectors and no headgasket which I'm trying to avoid but the stage 2 kit seems pretty nice from what u described. Toyomoto also sells a kit similar for around $7500 right? I know thats not installed but are the kits similar? Are you planning on going turbo anytime soon Jon?
Old 04-08-02, 06:10 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Sammy, honestly, i've looked at a couple of SC3's, but there's a couple problems. First, don't have any more room, gotta sell the SC4 if I pick up an SC3. Second, my girlfriend will absolutely flip (was just telling this to someone) if I start this project now, so i'll wait out the rest of this year, and pick up a ring for her and another SC simultaneously in 2003. Been tryin' to make a turbo for the SC4 happen for awhile, but i'm just about ready to give up. I'll be patience awhile longer, but Deb is seriously getting in the way of horsepower production! Jeff 'SC300TURBO' convinced his girlfriend of 5 years to wait so he could get a T70 and a Haltech! I should have him talk to Deb, he can be verrry convincing, 'boooost, boooooost'.........
Old 04-08-02, 06:20 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Right, the PF kit. Stage 1 includes Turbonetics 60-1 turbo, that nice manifold, Turbonetics Racegate, choice of BOV, Spearco sidemount IC with alum endtanks (the Supra's are plastic i've been told), 3" catless dp, and Aeromotive FPR, installed, for $6500, produces 300-320rwhp. Nice deal, but I think fuel is properly addressed with a 60-1, with only a regulator. I'd add an AIC with one or two 550's, or an AFC with a set of 440's. Why not do the head gasket? With the compression down, and a decent sized turbo, all you need is fuel to boogie. Your thoughts, Sammy?It may take me awhile to complete a project, but when I do i'll come CORRECT.
- Jon
Attached Thumbnails Turbo vs Supercharging   Pros and Cons-osofast240-motor.jpg  
Old 04-08-02, 07:32 PM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

I don't know if you misunderstood me, but I totally agree with the thicker headgasket. However while the headgasket is being replaced, why not just upgrade the injectors to 550cc and run a VPC with AFR for fine tuning. I've been told that, to prevent from detonation or any other bad things happening to your engine, don't go cheap on fuel system. $6500 for that kit is a decent price. I really like the stage 2 kit, however I have yet to hear any responses or know of anyone who has brought their car to PF and what their feedback of them are. I'm not trying to say they're bad people but it would be nice to see some of their work, especially on the NA Supra or SC300.
Right now I'm kinda leaning towards Toyomoto still, just b/c of the fact that they have many satisfied customers and their stage 2 kit, I believe, is $7500, which can be upgraded with a FMIC, 550cc injectors, and would be in the price range of $10500 installed. Assuming $2000 for installation.
Wut do you think Jon, am I crazy or I'm on the right track?
Old 04-08-02, 07:36 PM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

BTW, I've seen those pics before, its the 240sx with 2JZ-GE engine right? Also it has the GTE head? I heard that is one FASSSTTTT 240...
Old 04-08-02, 08:50 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Yeah, that's Victor's car, and the car will truly be a monster, it's basically Vinny's old setup in a gutted n' caged 240. It is a GE, but he's got a GTE dry sump going in next season, they told me it had a detachable chute in the back to, uh, get less attention on the street, hehe. Seriously though, it's really a car for the track. Anyway, i'm totally with you on Toyomoto, on every point, I would basically just have to use up a vacation to take my car there and get it home. Anyway, i'm not ready for that yet, gotta pick up an SC3 first, you're probably looking to do this soon, i'll be doing it next year, but if I can get the time off i'll take the road trip with ya, i'm sure the drive back to NY would convince once and for all that Toyomoto is worth a Vacation plus about $9,500 for stage 1.5 installed, but now that it comes with injectors and a head gasket, sounds like the way to go. Let's find out how much to upgrade to a FMIC, how much for Lance's fuel system for later on, and exactly how much to install stage 1.5, including head gasket. Also, I want to build an auto, so i'll need to know how much for Lance's valve body, installed. Your Supra is a stick, right?
Attached Thumbnails Turbo vs Supercharging   Pros and Cons-vinny-ten-supra.jpg  

Quick Reply: Turbo vs Supercharging Pros and Cons