SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Dealer can't figure out problem on 92 sc4

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-02, 06:53 AM
jrhone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dealer can't figure out problem on 92 sc4

Check engine light came on and I retrieved the code 25 from my car. I finally got frustrated because I couldn't diagnose it any further and took it to the dealer. What a bunch of blithering idiots! They have been unable to determine what the problem is!!! How difficult could this be?!!! They say that the oxygen sensors are fine so they were checking further to see what the problem is. It has been 2 days and they still have not figured out the problem! Please help somebody, anybody!
Old 04-06-02, 08:08 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

is the car running the way it should?
Old 04-06-02, 08:21 AM
lex400
Driver School Candidate

Default engine light

Just disconnect battery and it will disapear..
Old 04-06-02, 08:44 AM
jrhone
Driver School Candidate

The car is running great -- I haven't noticed a problem, although I am a new sc4 owner. I am getting about 20 miles per gallon and I do mainly city driving. Is that normal? Idle is smooth and drives like a dream, although it is louder than my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I pulled the fuse that controls the light and it went off temporarily, but after about 30-40 miles, the check engine light came back on again. Will disconnecting the battery remove it permanently?
Old 04-06-02, 10:48 AM
jrhone
Driver School Candidate

Ok, the dealer just called. They want to charge me $220 for the diagnosis of the o2 sensors, and then another $560 to replace the 2 front sensors. What a ripoff! This is my first and last time at the Lexus dealer!
Old 04-06-02, 02:14 PM
quick
Pole Position

Originally posted by jrhone
Ok, the dealer just called. They want to charge me $220 for the diagnosis of the o2 sensors, and then another $560 to replace the 2 front sensors. What a ripoff! This is my first and last time at the Lexus dealer!
Sorry to hear about the ripoff.

Tell them to screw off, then go figure out what the code means and take care of it yourself. You'll save some serious $$$.

Good luck.
Old 04-06-02, 02:40 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which dealership did you go to? Try a second opinion and don't suggest what the problem may be.
Old 04-06-02, 03:59 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume that you did not check on the code 25 with my answer on your other post. The code only a first indication of the problem, then you have to check what that code 25 mean to make sure it is the main O2 or the sub O2. Replacing the Oxygen sensors are are pretty easy also.

To diagnosis the way I type up on other post would takes about an hour. $220/hr labor
Old 04-06-02, 08:36 PM
jrhone
Driver School Candidate

VQT --

I did exactly what the thread said and determined it was the pxygen sensors. But your thread doesn't help you to know which oxygen sensor it is, l,r, etc. Should I just replace both? Seems to be silly to do that. For people like me who are not techically inclined, we rely on people like you to point us in the right direction.
Old 04-06-02, 09:51 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Depending on your car's mileage, you might be better off biting the bullet now and just changing both. If the mileage is up there, they're gonna take a dump on you sooner or later and at least you'll have a reference as to when they were replaced last with brand new ones.

The factory ones are quite expensive, we have them at a discount if you want to try to save a little cash on the deal.

You can email me directly (todd@tmengineering.net) if you might have any other questions. We do have some known-good used ones, but again, they're used.

Todd Matsubara
TM Engineering
Old 04-07-02, 11:01 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DoubleWhoosh
Depending on your car's mileage, you might be better off biting the bullet now and just changing both. If the mileage is up there, they're gonna take a dump on you sooner or later and at least you'll have a reference as to when they were replaced last with brand new ones.

The factory ones are quite expensive, we have them at a discount if you want to try to save a little cash on the deal.

You can email me directly (todd@tmengineering.net) if you might have any other questions. We do have some known-good used ones, but again, they're used.

Todd Matsubara
TM Engineering
Todd,

How much are you asking for each Main Oxygen sensor?
Old 04-08-02, 07:15 AM
jrhone
Driver School Candidate

Took it to Lexus of Concord.
Old 04-08-02, 12:31 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Took it to Lexus of Concord.
So you're not going to replace the Main O2 yourself? It's an easy job...
Old 04-08-02, 01:28 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus of Concord is run by a bunch of boneheads. Try Lexus of Pleasanton or Serramonte Center.
Old 04-10-02, 03:18 PM
jrhone
Driver School Candidate

I would love to be able to replace them myself, but am not technically inclined. Do I have to get the Lexus manual for directions?

Quick Reply: Dealer can't figure out problem on 92 sc4