SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My cheap and modern steering wheel solution...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 06:01 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 85 firebird didn't have an airbag and almost every classic car doesn't have one so thats not really an Issue. My question is how are you going to wire in the buttons. I would like to do a similar project and now that wheel is an option. Hell the only thing stopping me from swapping head units in my jeep is the fact I really like my steering wheel buttons.

Oh and I like the suede wrap. I have some for the wood panels when I get done with my swap.
Old 07-21-09, 06:18 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man you are the king of deals. Awesome creativity. I would have never thought these would fit.
Old 07-21-09, 07:02 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Looking at what you did, your airbag looks nothing like mine.

Mine rips at all those seems where i put yarn. Their is no way i could just simply bondo it up. Plus mine is a bit more elaborate then yours, so even wrapping it in leather is difficult.
Your airbag was made of the same material - plastic.

Use super glue to bond the edges together (sets in a few SECONDS), then use gorilla glue at the back. Sand the entire thing with 60-80 grit to make sure its smooth and take out any jagged edges from where the airbag deployed. I put in expanding foam for support, so the structure wouldnt collapse if I punched the horn or something.

Should look like this after sanding:

here you can barely make out where the seams are:

Just for comparison, here's a pic of when I got it, the bottom part under the emblem also had a split going right through the middle, pretty much exactly how your seams line up.

Then bondo over it and sand til your arm falls off, then prime and paint. Should look near OEM when you're done. Or you can wrap it.

Your airbag is ridiculously easy to wrap, even working with my suede that doesn't stretch at all. Your airbag is basically a misshapen hexagon that's flat on one side. Easy as hell to wrap. What's tough are complex curves and corners. Yours should be no issue, especially with leather, which stretches a fair bit anyway.

I got the idea from this guy:

http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induc...-clothing.html

Post #7 is the steering wheel he made.

Last edited by tavarish; 07-21-09 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 07:07 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sventhemac
My 85 firebird didn't have an airbag and almost every classic car doesn't have one so thats not really an Issue. My question is how are you going to wire in the buttons. I would like to do a similar project and now that wheel is an option. Hell the only thing stopping me from swapping head units in my jeep is the fact I really like my steering wheel buttons.

Oh and I like the suede wrap. I have some for the wood panels when I get done with my swap.
The way I see it, a button is a button. One of the major reasons I got this wheel is because of the steering wheel controls. I basically took a multimeter and probed each wire and found out what wire does what. there are 6 wires coming out of the buttons, and 6 that go into the lexus clock spring. Since i'm not using cruise control anyway, I have all the room I need to splice and make a custom wiring setup.

I'm going to be using the PAC-SWI-PS adapter for my Pioneer AVIC-D2. It should work lovely. I'm also going to switch the LEDs from orange to bright white, to match the rest of the car. That's another day, however.
Old 07-21-09, 08:43 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Cool deal if I don't hook up the 1JZ cruise control box then this is definately now an option.
Old 07-21-09, 09:28 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

Oh god please don't tell me you want him to pull out his grandma's sewing kit....
Old 07-21-09, 09:52 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

tavarish, quick life lesson for you... dont make assumption when you dont know the facts. Cuz you end up seeming like an idiot when someone proves you wrong.

Anyways look at the quick pics i took. I cant simply press the edges together and glue them. It would come apart. Plus the sides arent flat so i would need to trim all the little plastic supports in order to wrap it.
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...o/DSCN2341.jpg
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...o/DSCN2342.jpg
I don't know how else to explain it to you, your airbag cover is clearly made of plastic. Take some krazy glue and glue the edges together. They set almost instantly. If not, cover it with duct tape to ensure the sides don't move while gluing.

After that, you gorilla glue it to make sure it doesnt ever move. That part takes a few hours, since the glue takes a while to set. I literally did this yesterday, and the entire process is fresh in my mind. Believe me when I say my blown airbag looked EXACTLY like yours. Absolutely no differences, other than yours would probably be easier to glue because there's a bigger hole in the back.

If you're still fuzzy on how to do it, send me your airbag with materials and i'll wrap it for you.
Old 07-21-09, 09:57 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should cover the leather on the outside of the wheel with suede too.
Old 07-22-09, 01:30 AM
lawrenceO
Driver

Well done, have not seen this before. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.
Old 07-22-09, 01:33 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

superb creativity
Old 07-22-09, 03:26 AM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow creative!!! just use more foam in the back for cushion purposes if you do get into an accident hahah JK!
Old 07-22-09, 07:19 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

tavarish, quick life lesson for you... dont make assumption when you dont know the facts. Cuz you end up seeming like an idiot when someone proves you wrong.
like your brake cooling duct theory on how they are completely useless & pointless.....???? kinda like that???

Tavarish: your DIY wheel is a 100X better than the one i am thinking of in particular... i won't name any names... It seems you inspired a bunch to think out of the box on this one... good job.

BTW... off topic, was your GLE maxima in your sig a 5 spd. swap? i thought only the SE's came in 5 spd.
Old 07-22-09, 08:36 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

SHAIZA!! Check out the size of this guys Turbo!!! (Installed in a Nissan Silvia)

Last edited by SEIDO; 07-22-09 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-22-09, 08:39 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha... Just kidding.

Last edited by SEIDO; 07-22-09 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-22-09, 08:41 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the idea of the Scion. It turned out good.. I give it two thumbs up!

Quick Reply: My cheap and modern steering wheel solution...