driver side window switch not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 12:18 PM
SolTrain99
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default driver side window switch not working

So i have this problem with my window.

I opened driver side window while i was driving, when i got home it would not go up.

I tried to bring down the passenger window (using driver side switch) and it wouldn't go down or up. If i use the window switch on the passenger side, the window goes up and down fine.

If i put the window lock on and try to bring the window up or down, the light on the doorlock switch becomes green.

I don't hear anything moving or grinding.

On the driver side switch the mirrors work and the doors lock and unlock fine.

Anyone know what the problem could be? I searched and no one had this issue.
Old 07-21-09, 01:02 PM
Dispin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the window motor, if thats what you call it. My regulator went on my passenger side and you could hear the motor trying to bring the window up.
Old 07-21-09, 01:05 PM
SolTrain99
Pit Crew

Then why does the passenger side work with the passenger switch?
Old 07-21-09, 02:44 PM
Black Fire
Lead Lap

Maybe the switch? my driver side jacks up once in a while, i just slam the door and it goes right up, eletrical connection i guess..
Old 07-22-09, 09:38 AM
SolTrain99
Pit Crew

Yesterday I played with the switch by pressing up and down. After about 1-2 min of doing that the driver side window went up like 3 inches. Thats it.
Old 07-22-09, 09:46 AM
BigGreen
Lead Lap

I have a similar issue. I just replaced my regulator as my driver side broke. And i recently replaced the passanger side door harness as my window was not working at the time either. Now my passanger side window and driver window both work but i can only roll down my passanger window from the driver side door panel and have to play with it to get it up, but it works fine on the passanger side both up and down. If you find and answer to this please let me know. I dont know if its just a faulty connection from when i replaced the window regulator so i will prob check that out sometime next week
Old 07-22-09, 01:51 PM
andrewdees
Rookie

I had the same problem with mine. I searched on here and found something to check. Open your drivers door and inside of the rubber that goes from the door to the body there are a bunch of wires. Open that up and you will probably see a wire that is broken. I believe it is white/black. It is a ground for the window switch. Connect it back together and see if the switch works.

Oh yeah, I wrapped the rubber with electrical tape when I was done. Since I had to make a slice in mine to see the wires.
Old 07-23-09, 07:44 AM
BigGreen
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by andrewdees
I had the same problem with mine. I searched on here and found something to check. Open your drivers door and inside of the rubber that goes from the door to the body there are a bunch of wires. Open that up and you will probably see a wire that is broken. I believe it is white/black. It is a ground for the window switch. Connect it back together and see if the switch works.

Oh yeah, I wrapped the rubber with electrical tape when I was done. Since I had to make a slice in mine to see the wires.
Ok, thats what I was thinking that it might be, i might check that out next week when i have some time to take the door apart. Good looking out
Old 07-23-09, 11:48 AM
nnivlemm
Driver School Candidate

at least if its a wiring issue, it will be cheaper than a mechanical issue, such as a a regulator or worse a motor
Old 07-23-09, 12:27 PM
BigGreen
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nnivlemm
at least if its a wiring issue, it will be cheaper than a mechanical issue, such as a a regulator or worse a motor
Man, I seriously hope so, cause i have replaced a fair share of regulators and motors over the couple of years i have had my sc!
Old 07-27-09, 11:29 AM
SolTrain99
Pit Crew

Well i tried a new switch... same issue.

I kept playing with my old switch and finally got the window to go up. So what can it be?

I haven't checked that black/white wire yet.

I also found out someone was good enough to steal my cup holder filled with a bunch of quarters. I had some other things and they didn't take that.
Old 07-27-09, 06:26 PM
ucfa4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this wierd issue where mine wouldnt go up or down but it wasnt the reg. Does it make an electronic click noise when you hit the button. If so all you have to do is disconnect the wire that leads to the reg from the switch, the reg side. Otherwise i dunno what it is.
Old 12-07-09, 12:58 AM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Post issues

Ok ive been searchin and cant find a answer so i thought that id bump this thread with my question. Ok its my driver side control. it all works except for rolling the passenger window up. i can roll it down from the driver side but i can get it to go back up. but if i reach over to the passenger control it does roll it up or down. no i havent try'd to open up the rubber gromet at the door jam because i figure both wouldnt work. but i can still roll it down from that switch. i was wondering if anyone had similar issues and figured it out. any ideas please?

is this the broken wire symptons. i know i should check anyway but i didnt wanna cut my rubber piece if i didnt have to. everyhtings is pretty mint on my car and id like to try and keep it that way.

Last edited by SpiderN9NE; 01-02-10 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-07-09, 09:12 AM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+2 on the broke wire....I've got to open my door and find the sweet spot for the switch to work sometimes.
Old 12-07-09, 09:47 AM
SolTrain99
Pit Crew

those of you that have found the broken wire . where abouts did it break? was it the same place?

Quick Reply: driver side window switch not working