SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What should i do? (Fixing my SC)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 02:49 PM
0nePutt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should i do? (Fixing my SC)

As few of you may know, i was in an accident about a month and a half ago. I was driving next to a line of cars when someone in a Pontiac Sunfire popped out right in front of me through the line of cars trying to get to the other side of the road. i hit his driver side door and damaged it significantly. i luckily only had scratches on the front of my bumper, and the headlights are a little out of place. unfortunately, my left front headlight was moved to the point where it is not sealed anymore, so i am starting to get the foging on only that light.

anyway, the damage isnt much, but the estimate i got was $918. since it was the other driver's fault, i got the check from the other person and it ended up to be $1,037. so here is my dilemma. i have been searching for a job for a long time so i can finallly get the plans for my car moving but i havent found a job yet. now i have the money to get some things started but i cant decide if i should either fix the bumper, or get rims and suspension, or buy a w58 trans. i really want my car to look flawless like i got it but its so tempting to start my modification plans, especially since its my first car.
need some suggestions please

Last edited by 0nePutt; 07-28-09 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-28-09, 02:56 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a thread here somewhere that I think is entitled 'is your SC runnng correctly' or something like that. The premise is that you should fix anything wrong with ur car before u start dumping money into modding it. So I say u fix the bumper, unless of course ur planning on getting a body kit somewhere down the road..
Old 07-28-09, 03:04 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
There's a thread here somewhere that I think is entitled 'is your SC runnng correctly' or something like that. The premise is that you should fix anything wrong with ur car before u start dumping money into modding it. So I say u fix the bumper, unless of course ur planning on getting a body kit somewhere down the road..
I agree. Fix what's wrong first. Also putting in consideration that you are currently unemployed, if money is tight, I would probably save the money for a rainy day.
Old 07-28-09, 03:19 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People who own Sunfires are douchebags.
Old 07-28-09, 05:03 PM
0nePutt
Lead Lap

thanks ryeno, but i plan on buying cheap rims and tires if i do and just springs to go with it. and i meant should i either fix the bumper, or get rims and suspension, or the trans. also the auto body shop that gave me the estimate charges per hour of labor. im not getting a new bumper, they are sanding it down and repainting the whole thing. but im not gonna settle for anything less than what will make my car back to its origina flawless state. but i dont see how i wont have enough money to fix it when i got an estimate myself and the other driver's insurance company inspected it yourself and they said it was more expensive than the estimate that i got. but thank you for your help
Old 07-28-09, 05:14 PM
Black Fire
Lead Lap

A little scuff wont take away the the fact people will know its a lexus, but 1000 bones wont get you $h!t in the mods section either. your call
Old 07-28-09, 05:25 PM
0nePutt
Lead Lap

thanks guys im just gonna fix it
Old 07-28-09, 06:01 PM
0nePutt
Lead Lap

im not cheaping out on anything. how am i supposed to tell an autobody shop and NJM Auto Insurance that my damage is worth more than my estimate? and yes my headlight realignment is on the estimate.
Old 07-28-09, 06:15 PM
0nePutt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ryeno
i forgot the technical term but basically when you send the car off to the body shop to have it worked on. They'll find extra damage when they take stuff off.

What you have to do is take your car to a LEGITIMATE body shop. One that will replace all thats wrong and not just repaint this and bend that. Have then fix the car with genuine new lexus parts and give them the claim number. Let them deal with the insurance company all all the money issue.

ok i will do that, thanks
Old 07-28-09, 06:22 PM
Black Fire
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
People who own Sunfires are douchebags.

People that own Sunfires are freakin losers. .
( PS. i used to have a sunfire )
Old 07-28-09, 06:53 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

fix bumper...it will always be an eyesore to you if you don't
Old 07-28-09, 06:53 PM
jdm93400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow u are lucky thats some good money to use for projects
Old 07-28-09, 09:04 PM
0nePutt
Lead Lap

EDIT:
For instance of the 400 i had totaled. The first body shop gave me an estimate of like 1900 for a new muffler, heatsheild, tubing, bumper cover and paint plus combination lamp and labor. The second shop noticed the qt panel was pushed in, the spoiler had a scratch and didnt turn on anymore and my alignment was off which gave me an estimate closer to 3500. And that didnt even include if any control arms or suspension parts were bent.

Funny thing is the insurance adjusted saw the car and gave me an estimate that was similar to the first body shop. So of course i talked to my claim agent and after a while got them to agree with that that his estimate was wrong. In the end i got my car totaled which is what i wanted and got a 98 400. As of right now i have fixed some of the problems but the battery keeps draining on me and the alignment is wack, etc.

What you want to do is just ship that check back to them and go to the new body shop. Explain all the damage you see (use my part number and estimates if you like, they are really accurate) and have them start working on the car. Just make sure its a legit shop. Remember you have the right to take your car to any shop you chose for how much it will cost. As long as its reasonable. And you have a lexus so 1500-2000 for this damage is perfectly acceptable.
alright man thanks a lot youve really been a huge help. im going to send back the check and go to a couple different body shops. ill let you know what happens. thanks again
Old 07-29-09, 08:36 AM
0nePutt
Lead Lap

Do they have a copy of your first estimate or not?

Usually you would just get 2 estimates then the insurance adjuster would look at the car. You talk to him and maybe show him the estimates. Then odds are he will jsut write you a check for a higher amount. You cash the check and fix the car (maybe with used parts and pocket the rest.)

But what i am worried about is if they do have a copy of your estimate. Then they can say "well your just trying to get more money out of us now because you didnt list xxx and yyy as damaged before." If thats the case then the only chance you have of getting a legit repair job (new oem parts + good paint instead of just fixing up what you have) is to take it to a shop and have them work on the car and list the addition damaged under w/e they call it (tear-down?) when they discover new damage hidden by the bumper cover and what not.

P.S. make sure you keep/reuse the lower radiator garnishes. They are the black clips that cover the lower grille(infront of the fmic). They make the lower grille appear as 1 smooth bar v a criss-cross grid shape.

yes they have a copy of the first estimate. i have one too. so what your saying is the way i should determine how much money i get out of it, is by taking it to a real body shop and seeing what the price is then?

and yeah i thought of those black clips on the bumper too. i dont want to take them off myself but do you think a good body shop would leave them off? or leave them on when they repaint it? i will have to make sure they dont if that is the case
Old 07-29-09, 01:35 PM
SC34M3
Advanced

buff it out and keep the money

Quick Reply: What should i do? (Fixing my SC)