SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Dealer trying to Rip me for Fog Light Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-02 | 10:40 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Default Dealer trying to Rip me for Fog Light Replacement

As I mentioned earlier, one of my fog light bulb went out. Last night I tried to replace it myself (I had bought two H3 bulbs from autozone for around $10).
I had removed the bottom cover (attached by 6-7 screws) and was able to remove the back of the fog light housing and unplugged the broken bulb wire. However, the bulb was held in by a metal spring in the back and i could NOT remove this. I have searched the board but no one had mentioned how to remove this metal spring (i have a '97SC3).
So i put everything back the way i took it off and today went to the dealer. They want to charge $30 for the bulb (which i have), $45 for the labor.
I have two HID headlight bulbs that i wanted them to install, and they said because they had to remove the battery, it's going to be around $130 ( this is labor ONLY, as i provide my own parts!).
that is just ridiciulous. :eek:
can anyone with a '97+ SC tell me how I can do this for myself? and the tools I must have? Thanks!
Old 04-10-02 | 02:53 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

I can tell you what I know, for what I read, the H3 socket should be the same on all years, the bulb is held by a metal clip as you describe it, it hooks to the base, im including a picture of a H3 socket <not the exact SC one but it is pretty much the same>

the picture might give you an idea of how to get it off, it's actually quite easy once you know what you are doing, once you unhook it, the bulb comes out right on the spot... the tricky part is to hook it back, I ended up using forceps since its almost impossible to do it with your fingers, the clips it's just too small and <at least mine> your fingers are too thick to hook in.. hope this helps a bit...

Last edited by Skulinex; 04-10-02 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-10-02 | 02:58 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Skulinex,

Yah, thanks for responding, that is exactly what i'm talking about. I coudln't get that metal clip off. what exactly is a forceps ?

gosh, just to think i was so close and yet so empty =(
Old 04-10-02 | 03:05 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

The H3 should be pretty easy to remove after toying around for a while. The clip is held in by the middle of the wire, which is bowed. It's kind of like a paperclip spring loading effect. Metal forceps are a surgical tool for clamping and grabbing things. I didn't need to use one, but it may help you out. If all else fails, you can remove that wire completely. It is held in by the ends which you can pinch out.
Old 04-10-02 | 03:05 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

btw, forgot to mention, you do not actually remove the clip, you see where the clip bends into a round shape, you press it down, and then push it up to unhook it, the picture shows how it's hooked into the base, that should release it, and it opens to the side <like the movement of a door?> to put it back it's the same procedure backwards... have fun and good luck!
Old 04-11-02 | 08:49 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the help! I'll try it out this weekend. Gosh, if I still can't it right, then I'm just a dumbass who deserves to be bent over by the dealer.
Old 04-11-02 | 09:15 AM
Din
Lexus Champion

Could some please post directions on how to change the bulb for the fog light. My is burnt out and can figure out on how to change it...
Old 04-11-02 | 03:23 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Okay, here's a quick diagram of how to get behind the foglight. Remove all the red-circled screws. The plastic covering is tucked underneath the midsection cover along the green line. Slide the plastic cover out and downwards to free it from the mid-cover. This requires a bit of contorting towrds the back end. Once the cover is loose, it will be a flap that you can hold down to gain access to the foglights. You can lean on it, rest your head on it, or hold it down while you're "operating".

Once you've located the back of the foglight housing, there is going to be a cap covering the H3 socket. I can't remember if it's black or gray, but you'll recognize it nonetheless. Twist it counterclockwise until it clicks free. You now have access to the H3 bulb. The H3 bulb has a circular metal disc for a backing and some wire hanging from it. This is all part of the bulb so don't try to pull the bulb out of the metal disc. The metal disc is held down with a bent pin. You can click this pin free and the bulb will slip out. Disconnect the wire from the housing and replace with a new bulb. Do not touch the bulb glass itself with your bare hands. The introduction of skin oils on the surface of the bulb causes uneven heat distribution and will kill your bulb.

Sorry I don't have a picture of the foglight itself. This is just some picture I took a while back and drew on......
Attached Thumbnails Dealer trying to Rip me for Fog Light Replacement-accessfog.jpg  
Old 04-11-02 | 04:48 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

Thanks...