SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Advice on SC400 audio setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-09, 10:09 AM
Makaveli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on SC400 audio setup

I am driving a lexus Sc400. Last yr i replaced the factory deck with a pioneer mp3 deck. For some reason there seems to be no bass. There is a slot in the back (under the rear windshield) that holds a stock 8inch sub. The problem is i need my trunk space and want the bass.

The current stock sub location sits just above my gas tank - which leaves very little room for a typical larger magnet sub. Ive looked into replacing the stock 8inch with a shallow sub-but wonder how the bass will be? Has anybody converted their system, any recommendations. I'd liek to know ur opinions. thanks!!

ps. i have went to several car audio stores to see my options and get input. I am lookin for a cost effective method of achieving decent bass !!!
Old 08-06-09, 12:02 PM
tjschnei
Driver

I dont know a specific model, but there are some nice 8" woofers that will give good sound quality and some pretty good bass with the right amps. The problem you will run into is finding a sub that is shallow enough to fit into the stock location. I believe some people on here have done it before where they add a wooden bezzle to mount the sub to on top of the rear deck and it raises the sub enough to clear the tank and gives some more options, but in that case you would have to re-do the speaker grill, etc. A good knowledgeable shop should be able to help you find something that fits and that will give you good bass. Good luck with it.
Old 08-06-09, 12:22 PM
KingSoarer
Pole Position

You will need to look for a free to air sub so it works without an enclosure and generally speaking they are a lot more shallow than normal subs so you should find one that fits.
Old 08-06-09, 06:04 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I think that sub is actually a 10 inch, not a 8 inch. I may be wrong. I would go with a JL Audio sub in its place and redo all of the speakers in the rack, and the doors. The JL's that are supposed to be sealed still sound good in the free air. You can still use the factory wiring in the car, and bypass the factory amp, if you like, and use your own amp. I have the link if you want it. It shows all of the factory wiring of the the 92-94 SC's. That way you can tap into the factory wiring in the rear. If you do a search in the Audio Section, there is someone who completely redid his SC and his install looks amazing! He put the sub in a seperate box, where the spare tire goes. Not my choice, but the install wiring looks amazing. I have also redid my stereo completely, so if you have any more questions, PM me. Lastly, I am using a Sony Xplod amp on my 92 sub, and its sounds good for being so old and outdated. I still would like a little more.

Heres the link...http://www.lextreme.com/Lexradiowcd.pdf

Heres Shanes link for his SC300....https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...rsion-2-a.html

Last edited by 1JZPWRD; 08-06-09 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-06-09, 07:40 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

I am in the process of having a shop figure out a memphis shallow sub and a enclosure to sit just above the tank(Full lenght of the deck if needed) if its possible I will update and let you guys know.