SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Flashing AC Light - No Cold or Hot Air

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-09, 08:04 AM
acemalcolm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing AC Light - No Cold or Hot Air

Help please! 94 SC400, 161K. Have owned for 12 yrs, great car, very few problems. On recent 3 hour drive w/AC on, air stopped blowing cold and noticed green AC light flashing. Have read many many great threads here and determined mag clutch relay most likely culprit. Purchased new OEM relay at Toyo dealership and made the 2 min. change. Awesome. AC worked fine for about 1 hr when same deal happened again....cold air ceased and green flashing light.

I pushed the AC button about 4 times in fairly rapid succession and cold air returned. For about 30 min. No luck since. The compressor is functioning when AC is turned on.

Get this though: I found that at the same time (with AC button OFF) I am not able to blow hot air either - the only air blowing is outside air temp.

I am NOT a mechanic but have a logical sense of doing things and OK at figuring things out...I think.

....So - please enter the experts!
Old 08-07-09, 08:43 AM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acemalcolm
Help please! 94 SC400, 161K. Have owned for 12 yrs, great car, very few problems. On recent 3 hour drive w/AC on, air stopped blowing cold and noticed green AC light flashing. Have read many many great threads here and determined mag clutch relay most likely culprit. Purchased new OEM relay at Toyo dealership and made the 2 min. change. Awesome. AC worked fine for about 1 hr when same deal happened again....cold air ceased and green flashing light.

I pushed the AC button about 4 times in fairly rapid succession and cold air returned. For about 30 min. No luck since. The compressor is functioning when AC is turned on.

Get this though: I found that at the same time (with AC button OFF) I am not able to blow hot air either - the only air blowing is outside air temp.

I am NOT a mechanic but have a logical sense of doing things and OK at figuring things out...I think.

....So - please enter the experts!
I had a similiar issue where my A/C light started flashing and it was that my compressor was on it's way out. We changed the compressor and it's been good for about three years now...Good luck!
Old 08-07-09, 11:18 AM
whodaman18
Driver School Candidate

mine is out too. i called autozone to see if it is the same compressor as the gs300. he said yes, but i wanted to double check.
Old 08-08-09, 10:34 AM
JamaicanSC
Rookie

Yep it's the compressor, I think it even tells you in the owners manual about that same issue. I just bought a refurbished one and I was good to go. I got it from an ebay store.
Old 08-10-09, 08:40 AM
acemalcolm
Driver School Candidate

Well, the compressor is original so guess cant complain too much about that. Just holding out that it's something else...thermostat maybe? The compressor definitely comes on - doesnt this mean that it's working?