SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sc300 vs 400

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-09, 11:12 AM
$loJam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, if you really love and appreciate the Lexus SC then you should avoid aftermarket modding which in all likelyhood will reduce the reliability of your SC in the long run, besides maintenance on this car is expensive enough. That being said, be patient and get the best peforming Sc with the latest technology for this Lexus model, which would be the 98-00 SC 400. I currently have a 98 SC400, which I've had for almost 3 years and absolutely love it more than any other car I've ever had, including the 92 sc 300 I owned previously, and that car started my love affair with the SC.

To be honest with you modding a car that will not be used for track or show purposes or is absolutely senseless and a big waste of money. Especially in this economy it doesn't make sense to waste money on a car for only mere bragging rights.

Get a 98-00 SC 400

..and keep and factory maintained.
Old 08-16-09, 01:29 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by $loJam
IMO, if you really love and appreciate the Lexus SC then you should avoid aftermarket modding which in all likelyhood will reduce the reliability of your SC in the long run, besides maintenance on this car is expensive enough. That being said, be patient and get the best peforming Sc with the latest technology for this Lexus model, which would be the 98-00 SC 400. I currently have a 98 SC400, which I've had for almost 3 years and absolutely love it more than any other car I've ever had, including the 92 sc 300 I owned previously, and that car started my love affair with the SC.

To be honest with you modding a car that will not be used for track or show purposes or is absolutely senseless and a big waste of money. Especially in this economy it doesn't make sense to waste money on a car for only mere bragging rights.

Get a 98-00 SC 400

..and keep and factory maintained.
Um, no. Stock is boring. It's a good platform to build on, but keeping everything factory is ridiculous.
Old 08-16-09, 06:34 PM
Rex Ruthor
Driver

Originally Posted by TumblerZ30
I'm a turbo inline 6 guy, although I have to agree with you. After all, THERE'S NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT

OT: Have you driven a Vishnu 135i yet? Impressive, but not worth the price, IMHO.

Turbos are the greatest invention known to man. Just having a juvenile badabing moment to feed the sibling rivalry. Being in my 3rd Lexus and 1st SC, I can't believe it took so long to get into a platform that can be fully appreciated. All joking aside, having owned a CLK from the target competition in the past, Toyota really hit the mark. Will be keeping this car greater than a year and setting a personal best.
Old 08-16-09, 07:11 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty SC
turbo blanket FTW
^^^^give me your setup please!!!^^^^^
will be greatly appreciated
Old 08-16-09, 09:46 PM
TumblerZ30
Driver

Originally Posted by jdm93400
sc400 all the way . i got one and love it way better then sc300. rember this when u think alot of peopl here have sc 300 not much people have the 400 thimk bout . these things are beast . when u play with them
I value your opinion because after all, it is your opinion but regarding the SC400, rarity is subjective. Yes, you see more SC3's modded but its not like there were only a few SC4's produced. Additionally, its cheaper to make power out of an SC3 because there is a bigger market for the 2J which is why there are more options available. I defended the SC3 over the Supra because of price. The bottom line is, when both the Supra and the SC3 are modded (suspension, power, weight, etc.) there is no difference in performance. Essentially, they will be running similar lap times with similar mods.

Originally Posted by Asha'man
Um, no. Stock is boring. It's a good platform to build on, but keeping everything factory is ridiculous.
Couldn't have said it better myself

Originally Posted by Rex Ruthor
OT: Have you driven a Vishnu 135i yet? Impressive, but not worth the price, IMHO.

Turbos are the greatest invention known to man. Just having a juvenile badabing moment to feed the sibling rivalry. Being in my 3rd Lexus and 1st SC, I can't believe it took so long to get into a platform that can be fully appreciated. All joking aside, having owned a CLK from the target competition in the past, Toyota really hit the mark. Will be keeping this car greater than a year and setting a personal best.
Again, I agree, we are just having some fun here . I have not driven a 135i yet. I don't want you or anybody else to misunderstand my angle here. I'm not knocking the SC, I own one haha. I've just always loved the MKIV and always will. The SC is a great looking car and can be equally modified to the same levels the Supra can. The SC chassis is a better deal which is why I choose to go that route. You seem to be a true car enthusiast and I'm glad the SC is a chassis that has effectively proven itself as legitimate because I believe it has unlimited potential within its class.

Originally Posted by Ryeno
yes it does matter because you are spreading false information. And if you were comparing sc400 to supra na then you misread the post you replied to. Since that guy was comparing the two "2 chassis".
Yes, that figure is a little exaggerated.

Originally Posted by QwkSC
The only thing that seperates them is about 400lbs lol
I was comparing price in order to illustrate that the SC is a better buy. Weight doesn't matter because the you can always put the SC on a diet
Old 08-16-09, 09:53 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TumblerZ30
I was comparing price in order to illustrate that the SC is a better buy. Weight doesn't matter because the you can always put the SC on a diet
The other thing is a longer overall car which translates to better cornering stability if I'm not mistaken.

Ryeno- you said a plastic piece of Emblem, when placed on an airbag cover, Might penetrate a skull and kill you in a crash, therefore its better not to run an airbag if you want an emblem on yor wheel That sounds like "False Information" to me...
Old 08-16-09, 10:03 PM
TumblerZ30
Driver

Originally Posted by QwkSC
The other thing is a longer overall car which translates to better cornering stability if I'm not mistaken.
I don't understand what point you're trying to make. I'm strictly talking about price and its congruence with the performance of each vehicle.

Separately, the SC is longer than the Supra so again, what is your statement supposed to illustrate. Based on what you've stated, the SC is a better chassis in that regard as well.
Old 08-16-09, 10:09 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

the cars length shouldnt even matter since the wheel base is the same between the 2 cars.
SC is 5in longer wheelbase

@TumblerZ30:

I'm just trying to point out the differences, I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, both have pro's and cons
Old 08-16-09, 10:15 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

wrong thread for this but its a possibility. An airbag deploys at about 200mph, thats a ton of force.

But i was talking about a possibility. You said the sc and supra chassis are a difference of 400lbs. Now that's a fact, something that can easily be proven. And your fact is wrong.
N/A Supra-3219 lbs(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_...281993-2002.29)

SC300-3655 lbs(http://www.planetlexus.com/lexus-sc3...00-sc400a.html)

436lbs difference Ryeno. Are you happy now?
Old 08-16-09, 10:56 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

No cuz again you are misreading. that site says

sc300 is 3560
sc400 is 3655

not to mention that weight cant even be accurate since the 1995 sc300 and the 1998 sc300 are different.
as i stated before, the 400lbs figure was off the top of my head. you shouldn't get worked up over that. my basic point was that an sc is alot heavier and that is a well known fact. by how much depends on year and model and options
Old 08-17-09, 01:01 PM
Black Fire
Lead Lap

I look at it this way, do i want a Ps2 or a Ps3? a 9mm or a 40cal? a Sc300 or a Sc400? do the math, fool.
Old 08-17-09, 07:53 PM
TumblerZ30
Driver

Originally Posted by Black Fire
I look at it this way, do i want a Ps2 or a Ps3? a 9mm or a 40cal? a Sc300 or a Sc400? do the math, fool.
Well, I look at it this way, do I want to spend 5k for 500 reliable wheel horsepower using a 2j or 9k on the 1UZ. Do the math, fool.
Old 08-17-09, 07:59 PM
Black Fire
Lead Lap

^^^ What, you dont got the money? btw im not saying the sc4 is better than the sc3, im a numbers guy, so like my bank acount, the higher the number the better.

Last edited by Black Fire; 08-17-09 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-17-09, 08:13 PM
TumblerZ30
Driver

Thats not the point, your logic regarding the question you were answering in the first place is 100% wrong. Now that you've been called out you change the subject. If you don't have a legitimate argument don't attempt to debate with me because you will lose like so.

P.S. No I don't have the money because I'm a college student at UGA working on my MBA so when I graduate next May I'll have plenty of money to boost 5 95 SC400's smart guy.
Old 08-17-09, 08:18 PM
Black Fire
Lead Lap

No, dont have time to waste debating, good luck with the career.

Quick Reply: Sc300 vs 400