SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What's the difference in fart cans?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 06:27 PM
BoostLogic
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the gayest honda rear I have ever seen. Coming from a honda pimp like myself that is not a compliment......
Old 08-21-09, 06:44 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

That is one hideous Honda (not that I had to repeat myself)! However, look at the muffler - it really doesn't look that different from the Nur Spec. I'm sure the craftsmanship and material quality changes between price points, but honestly I still don't see where a difference in sound or performance might exist.

A quick Google turned up a site with a variety of import mufflers. Again, aside from looks, what would be the difference between an Apexi N1, a Blitz NurSpec, an HKS universal, etc?
Old 08-21-09, 07:14 PM
rykwebb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, fart cans VS. exhaust systems...

Fart can = just the tip (heheee), just the muffler back meaning to extra piping alllll the way up to the itty bitty 4cyl B16 (just to use the Civic as an example). Mostly cosmetic, these fart cans are added to LOOK like they're performance enhancers (like a Type R sticker on a Mustang which we've probably all seen sadly).

Exhaust system = From downpipe to tip, a much better quality than 90% of the ones factory cars come with. What breathes (turbos for example), must exhale. The faster and more efficiently the engine can push the leftover fuel out of the combustion chamber, the more it can suck in the clean air to replace it and cause more combustion.

This is all just opinion/my version...any renditions...bring em out, because I HAVE a Blitz Nur Spec R...and I didn't spend over $7-- on a fart can.
Old 08-21-09, 07:28 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by Asha'man
I'm sorry, I come from a muscle car background, so that's what I call 'em.
well maybe you should learn the names of what you are talking about.

FYI a "fat can" is a canister type muffler the makes a fart noise when the engine revs. Or a "bees in a can" sound.

A canister muffler may or may not be a "fart can" but is cylindrical in shape.

Maybe you should reword your post so more people can understand what you are asking.
Old 08-21-09, 09:59 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ryeno
well maybe you should learn the names of what you are talking about.

FYI a "fat can" is a canister type muffler the makes a fart noise when the engine revs. Or a "bees in a can" sound.

A canister muffler may or may not be a "fart can" but is cylindrical in shape.

Maybe you should reword your post so more people can understand what you are asking.
Maybe you should not be a jackass. The thread is designed for me to learn more about what you call "canister mufflers" and what I call "fart cans". Constructive input is appreciated.
Old 08-21-09, 10:02 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rykwebb
Ok, fart cans VS. exhaust systems...

Fart can = just the tip (heheee), just the muffler back meaning to extra piping alllll the way up to the itty bitty 4cyl B16 (just to use the Civic as an example). Mostly cosmetic, these fart cans are added to LOOK like they're performance enhancers (like a Type R sticker on a Mustang which we've probably all seen sadly).

Exhaust system = From downpipe to tip, a much better quality than 90% of the ones factory cars come with. What breathes (turbos for example), must exhale. The faster and more efficiently the engine can push the leftover fuel out of the combustion chamber, the more it can suck in the clean air to replace it and cause more combustion.

This is all just opinion/my version...any renditions...bring em out, because I HAVE a Blitz Nur Spec R...and I didn't spend over $7-- on a fart can.
I understand the difference between a simple muffler swap and a full exhaust system. It's like every third-gen F-body or 5.0 with Flowmasters slapped in place of the stock muffs and everything else left stock; really doesn't do much but make noise.

When it's a "canister-type muffler", does having full exhaust change the tone appreciably? Obviously on my V8 it'll sound a lot better regardless than it would on a Honduh. I guess what I'm still asking is what's the difference between the wet fart that the local high school ricers have and the sexy Blitz sound that RedPhoenix has, as far as the design and performance of the actual mufflers?
Old 08-22-09, 05:40 AM
Black Fire
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BoostLogic
That's the gayest honda rear I have ever seen. Coming from a honda pimp like myself that is not a compliment......

I think you just like gay rears. its all good bruno, i know you had your eye on my ricer for a while now!
Old 08-22-09, 05:51 AM
theory5150
Lexus Test Driver

Would you consider the blitz nur-spec duals with 2.5" piping to the cat fart cans? Please say no, i just put them on lol
Old 08-22-09, 10:09 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Cans X2.....Yes, they are loud
Old 08-22-09, 10:29 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by Asha'man
Maybe you should not be a jackass. The thread is designed for me to learn more about what you call "canister mufflers" and what I call "fart cans". Constructive input is appreciated.
Are you serious?

You made a thread with the first sentence saying " i drive muscle cars so i call every (import tuner) exhaust a "fart can."

Maybe you didnt realize it but a "fart can" is a derogatory term aka an insult.

Your sentence conveys that your are ignorant and that your not open-mided aka dont want to learn.

So if you actually want constructive input, maybe you should learn how to ask for it.

Last edited by Ryeno; 08-22-09 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-22-09, 10:41 PM
rx7even
Driver School Candidate

"construction input" haha
Old 08-22-09, 10:49 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

there difference in fart can vs a hi out exhaust muffler is how the air flows outta the exhuast from the baffle also the diamiter of the piping makes a huge difference on hp gains and noise
Old 08-22-09, 10:52 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

not be offensive but since u come from a muslce car back round u should watch how u word ur sentences. some people here dont like those words but then they dont know crap about there own car lol
Old 08-23-09, 05:58 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gadgetsc
cans x2.....yes, they are loud:d
wicked!!!!
Old 08-23-09, 07:31 AM
roxanne
Pole Position

I don't think he's meaning to offend anyone by calling them "fart cans". Let's face it, there or several imports that really do sound like that. Just poking a bit of fun...some people need to stop being so sensitive

This is actually an issue I battle my dad on all the time. He's all about the V8 muscle with little patience for much else. I personally am trying to finish my exhaust with tanabe medallion touring mufflers...I showed him a sound clip and he laughs and says "sure, go ahead and turn that nice car into a ricer". Jackass

Last edited by roxanne; 08-23-09 at 07:34 AM. Reason: sucky grammar

Quick Reply: What's the difference in fart cans?