SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Best way to store a car

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-09, 10:34 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to store a car

hey everyone. i have bitter sweet news. I'm going to be a freshman in college and my school is an hour and 15 away. sadly, they don't allow cars on campus (frankly i have no reason to waste insurance payments to walk to class) so the beast is coming off the road in 6 days. now here are the options.

i live in new england. harsh winters, awful elemental weather. now, my house lacks a garage.

I hear its best to put it on jackstands? and i'm going to put a trashbag over each tire and a car cover over the body. should keep moisture and weather off her. would that be okay to leave it in my driveway protected and lifted like that?

option B: my mom's boyfriend just said today there is a chance i could store in it his garage at his house. only problem with this, his house is 40 minutes away, and the garage door doesn't close.

the insurance company offers terrible options too for college students and cars, either turn in the plates, or keep making payments while it sits.

so i leave it to you guys to guide me, the catch is where-ever it is, the plates are off, thats where it stays til next summer.
so is my house okay if i protect it like i will? or would the garage 40 minutes away (in a bad part of town might i add) be preferable....
Old 08-20-09, 10:37 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

buy a storage unit and park in it lol. That's where my friend keep's his bike collection because he doesn't have space in his garage.
Old 08-20-09, 10:43 PM
royaltyrsp
Driver

option B is def not a good idea. think about it, you'd be leaving a Lexus in an semi-open garage in a bad part of town. not even worth it imo.
Old 08-20-09, 11:00 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

If it's nice store it at my house.
Old 08-21-09, 01:02 AM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

Check to see if local apartment complexes rent their garages out to non-residents. I stored my car in a garage at a near by apartment complex last winter. The way the economy is I have noticed that lots of apartment complexes are starting to rent out their detached garages to non residents.

-Josh
Old 08-21-09, 09:31 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever you choose make sure you disconnect, or even take out the battery or else it will die. I'm sure there's a thread on here somewhere that'll outline thing you should do when storing ur car, cuz there's a bunch of stuff. I think emptying ur gas tank is another..?
Old 08-21-09, 09:33 AM
Jay-Balrog
Driver

get a good car cover some fuel stabilizer, if its really gona be out there for that long you could do the wheel garbage bag thing. that seems a little od to me tho..
Old 08-21-09, 10:00 AM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
If it's nice store it at my house.
to be honest i would LOVE to store it at a fellow SC owners house

It seems as if option A (my house) is preferable so i will probably do that. i can't buy a storage unit cause my driveway is tiny and we have 2 other cars sharing it.

*Just because its coming off the road doesn't mean she's done
i told my mom and brother to expect packages being dropped off frequently by UPS* I'm going to be working out there and sending stuff home so i can have them all waiting for me whenever i come home. buy stuff gradually and have it all at once when i get home
Old 08-21-09, 10:03 AM
DRFT103
Lead Lap

Drop out of college, Your SC is more important!
Old 08-21-09, 10:05 AM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Well i heard you can get a single car storage unit for $100 a month. Is that a good rate?
Old 08-21-09, 10:06 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

come down to NY and u can park it in my driveway.
Old 08-21-09, 11:33 AM
QwkSC
Instructor

I will let u park in the garage, and I will even register it in Texas. I might just title it in my name for you also if it's nice enough
Old 08-21-09, 11:35 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by QwkSC
I will let u park in the garage, and I will even register it in Texas. I might just title it in my name for you also if it's nice enough
park it in my garage. I'm closer to you than him
Old 08-21-09, 12:14 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

haha yeah thank you to everyone who wants me to park my baby in your driveway. i would do it if i didn't live in the most remote SC area of the country...and the decision has been made today, i told the garage guy that i really didn't like the idea of keeping my pride and joy in an open garage in a bad area of town 40 minutes from my house.

someone suggested i give it to cash for clunkers..HA ! i gave them a look that was something like this: + + =
Old 08-21-09, 03:34 PM
DRFT103
Lead Lap

You banned him from real life?

Quick Reply: Best way to store a car