replacing the rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-02, 10:08 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question replacing the rear brake pads

Hello all,

I'm going to replace my car's rear brake pads this weekend.
Anything I should be watching out for? How should I handle the hand-brake? Thanks,

James

Last edited by sc400; 04-14-02 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-15-02, 11:48 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb Here's a thread from last year with some relevant info....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=17811

As I said in the thread, my biggest problem was re-inserting the small v-shaped springy-wire expansion springs/anti-rattle clips- it was impossible! There is almost no clearance once the new pads are in. I gave up and never put them in. I even went to the dealer and asked a tech how he did it. He said he placed the pads in first, then the clips. If there is some other secret trick to re-inserting them, I'd love to know. This might be sour grapes talking, but I don't think they are really necessary, anyway. I only did the rears- I still have to do the fronts, which I am not looking forward to.
Old 04-15-02, 04:51 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you only replace the pads, then don't worry about the hand brake issues as it is completely irrelevant. You'll have more room to insert the V springs in the rear calipers than the front calipers, and by all means, put them in. They are part of the anti-squealing hardware.

Anyway, the first time I replaced my Supra's front pads, it took me literally hours to put the V springs back on. I almost gave up but I was glad I didn't. The second time around on my LS, it took significantly less.

Hint: Don't hookup the V springs while the pads are in the calipers. Hook them while the pads are outside. Here is the procedure:

1. Assemble the pads & shims as if you were ready to drop them into the calipers.
2. Mate the pair of pads together and hook up the V springs. Wrap the pads, shims and springs together as one unit with masking tapes. This will hold the pads, shims, and springs together. Be sure to wrap tapes around the springs to prevent them from flying off. Use MINIMAL amount of tape as you will need to remove the tapes later.
3. Drop the pads into the caliper.
4. Align one pad into its designated location.
5. Cut & remove the masking tapes carefully and completely.
6. Align the other pad into its designated location.

Voila, no more having to attach the springs while the pads are in the calipers.

Try my method give me some feedback would you?
Old 04-18-02, 06:45 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

guys,

First of all thanks for all the help. I replaced my rear brake pads in about 3 hours. It was easier than I thought. Next time I would definitely do it quicker.

hyperopt: your procedure definitely helped point me in the right direction. However I couldn't make it work because when I taped both of the pads together with the clips it was too thick to insert into the caliper. Thus it took me about 15 minutes to figure out an improved method :-) here's how I did it:

1. Put one pad into the caliper first, with both clips on. Insert the clips into the pad before putting it into the caliper. Align it properly.

2. After the first pad is properly aligned insert the second pad.
To get the clip on insert one end of the pad in first, get the clip on. Then before you fully insert the pad try to get the second clip on. In another word only insert one clip at a time.

Once I figured out this method it took me 5 minutes to insert the clip on the other brake.

Will definitely do my front brakes in the future. Thanks again guys,

James
Old 04-19-02, 11:58 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, forget to mention that the pads may be too thick for the rear calipers. I modified my procedure a bit to accommodate for that though. Good to know that you didn't have problems inserting the V springs as there are more space in the rear calipers to work with. Try your method when you replace the FRONT pads and let us know how it goes. I would be very surprise if you could hookup the springs as easily as you did in the rear.