SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Cash for Clunkers (HURRY)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-09, 10:14 AM
Brendon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised Chairman Obama hasnt simply made it a law that all cars over 5 years old be destroyed and the owners forced to buy a new car. itll be his next economic "stimulus" package, aka the great leap foward
Old 08-25-09, 10:20 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by slvrboolet
O man the .gov is retarded. Some of those cars could be parted out or even sold to someone who cant afford a new car even with the program but no lets pour **** in the motor to destroy it then crush the car so all it can now do is take up space at a land fill genius....not
I was told that the cars do get parted out. Anything that can be salvaged from the interior, any accessories....etc. I think that the only thing they can't part out is mechanical parts. Engine related.

After that then they get crushed, melted down, and made into other machines.
Old 08-25-09, 11:11 AM
kponti
Driver

Jeez guys, if you love these cars on the C4C program, buy them when the owners list them for above $5000 before they decide to trade them in. All the whinners here will not buy a 1992-1995 SC300/400 with over 250K miles leaking oil, no working ac and a few messed up electronics and suspension parts. Can it be salvaged? yes! will YOU do it? No! Therefore it makes financial sense to the actual owners to get the most out or their cars.
Remember no one has a gun to the heads of the car's owners to trade in that program, they could just list it here on club lexus for $5000 so you can ***** and moan about the condition and how it isnt even worth $3000
Old 08-25-09, 11:14 AM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendon
I'm surprised Chairman Obama hasnt simply made it a law that all cars over 5 years old be destroyed and the owners forced to buy a new car. itll be his next economic "stimulus" package, aka the great leap foward
You know in Mexico it's illegal to buy or sell a car less than 10 years old?
Old 08-25-09, 12:30 PM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BostonSC4
i fully support the perma banning of any idiot who does this to such a beautiful machine.
Hurts me soul, could not justify doing that to a SC..if if its inbad condition lol!
Old 08-25-09, 01:35 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do this to an SC you shouldnt own 1 to begin with in my opinion.
"clunker"? how dare you!
Love this car.
Old 08-25-09, 03:24 PM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sc-driver
I was told that the cars do get parted out. Anything that can be salvaged from the interior, any accessories....etc. I think that the only thing they can't part out is mechanical parts. Engine related.

After that then they get crushed, melted down, and made into other machines.
I heard the opposite people were *****ing about the car getting destroyed which would be cutting down on available replacement parts for older cars or some such. I hope the latter is tru and that they arent just getting scrapped.
Old 08-25-09, 04:49 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Most of the cars that were turned in were worth no more than three grand tops. Messed up exterior messed up interior etc.

Rolling shell scs are quite worthless and still plenty.

In spite of that, I've seen some clean ones getting clunkered
Old 08-25-09, 04:51 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Most of the cars that were turned in were worth no more than three grand tops. Messed up exterior messed up interior etc.

Old 08-25-09, 06:21 PM
Brendon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xknowonex

The Cash for Clunkers program isn't just to "stimulate" the auto industry, but its also part of the Obama administration's ponzi scheme to raise fuel efficiency. What those idiots fail to realize is that just because a car is newer doesn't automatically mean its more fuel efficient or pollute less. The average MPG of cars has actually dropped by 10% since 1980 in spite of advancements.
Old 08-25-09, 06:36 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

The Cash for Clunkers program isn't just to "stimulate" the auto industry, but its also part of the Obama administration's ponzi scheme to raise fuel efficiency. What those idiots fail to realize is that just because a car is newer doesn't automatically mean its more fuel efficient or pollute less. The average MPG of cars has actually dropped by 10% since 1980 in spite of advancements.
Though poorly implemented and wasteful, I think its a good way to clear up excess dealer inventory. Heck, many of the cars are still just sitting at some factory owned lots.
Old 08-25-09, 07:30 PM
jdm93400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude dont freakin show this in the sc thread y would anybody get rid of there sc for this stupid program
Old 08-25-09, 08:19 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

you do know that they changed the mpg ratings in 2008. The average has gone down because they use a better standard that shows more realistic numbers.
Old 08-25-09, 09:06 PM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I was honestly considering it since my 5sped 300 is a piece of ***** to begin with. Probably have anything worth a damn parted out and throw in a junk auto trans and send her off stripped and naked. Rebuilt title cars are worthless in CA anyway.
Old 08-25-09, 09:15 PM
kpkim01
Lead Lap

its already rare to see sc's around but now theyre gunna get crushed into a cube cuz sumone wanted a nice 4 cylynder??
has this world come to

what

Quick Reply: Cash for Clunkers (HURRY)