SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Headlight condensation

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-02, 08:23 PM
TurboTRD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Headlight condensation

I own a 92' SC400 and I have water in my headlights. How do you take the headlights off? Theres one bolt on the top but what keeps it in place towards the parking light side? What bolts do I need to remove?
Old 04-15-02, 09:52 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two more screws behind the quarter fender.
Old 12-14-02, 07:09 PM
stock300
Driver

After removing the 2 nuts and 1 screw, I was able to move the low beam light assembly but I couldn't pull it out completely away from the housing. Is there a procedure that someone has used successfully to pull the light out without damaging anything? There is a lot of plastic around the light. I can move the assembly out on the inside to at least the level but the outside edge will only come out about a 1/4 inch. Do I pull out the assembly or push it out? Suggestions?
Old 12-14-02, 07:31 PM
SilverBolt 219
Pole Position

Default Just pull the darn thing!

After you've made sure all 3 screws are out and you've taken out all of the bulbs just pull the whole thing toward yourself. It took me a little jiggling, but I got it out of there without doing any damage. The only damage I was worried about was scratching the paint job while pulling it out. Good luck! hope this helps.
-Johnny

Originally posted by stock300
After removing the 2 nuts and 1 screw, I was able to move the low beam light assembly but I couldn't pull it out completely away from the housing. Is there a procedure that someone has used successfully to pull the light out without damaging anything? There is a lot of plastic around the light. I can move the assembly out on the inside to at least the level but the outside edge will only come out about a 1/4 inch. Do I pull out the assembly or push it out? Suggestions?
Old 12-14-02, 11:33 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Exclamation Protect your Bumper!

There is a support peg at the bottom corner of the lamp housing tear drop. (Corner of the lamp adjacent to the Highbeam lamp)
When you pull out your lamp, your will more then likely scratch your bumper.
My suggestion is to lay down some masking tape at this area of your bumper to protect it while you jimmy the housing out of its' postion.

Last edited by EmeraldLexuSC3; 12-14-02 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-16-02, 09:08 PM
xBlkGs430x
Lead Lap

whats the best way to take the lenz off, heatgun, and what should we use to clean it, mine is a little yellow, i want to take it appart and clean it, and what should i use to seal it back up...
Old 12-18-02, 01:02 PM
xBlkGs430x
Lead Lap

anyone, im taking mine off today and hoping for some advise
Old 12-18-02, 10:44 PM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

Exclamation

Ali,
If you just have a yellowed headlight, I cant stress the effect some Meguiars Scratch-X will do for you without even thinking about taking the headlight off. The headlight fix is generally for people with condensation in the light. The yellow is just road dirt and rain over time, Scratch-X should take the majority of it out no problem, made mind crystal clear again, a few friends thought I had gotten new ones

-Buck
Old 12-19-02, 03:07 AM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

undefeatedsc3

I will try some to see if it works, how much is a bottle of that stuff?
Old 12-19-02, 07:22 PM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

Originally posted by SC4Hundred
undefeatedsc3

I will try some to see if it works, how much is a bottle of that stuff?
Shouldn't cost you more than $10 at any auto store, Pep Boys, Discount Auto, Auto Zone, etc....Best luck

-BP
Old 12-21-02, 05:15 PM
ataie
Driver School Candidate

so, how do you remove the screws by the quarter fender without removing the fender???

also I didn't see any answer to the question as how to take the lens apart (to clean the moister) and what to use to seal it back?

thanks
Old 12-21-02, 08:58 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Post Accessing and Cleaning your Lamps!

ataie,
You do not need to take off the fender. To access the 2- 10mm bolts, you first need to remove the wheel fender liner. Once you do this, you will have clear access to the bolts.
As for taking apart you lamps, you should take the time and do a search. there is plenty of discussions on the topic.
Seeing that you are a Rookie! I will direct you in the right direction.
www.mkiv.com/techarticles/headlights/index
Before attempting taking apart your Lamps. I highly advise to first start with washing out the inside of your Lamp with extreme Hot water mixed with Dishwasher detergent; i.e. Casade, and a rinse agent of the same brand. Once that has been accomplished,
you need to throughly dry out the lense with a Hair dryer. Then polish the outside lense with a fine cut polisher and buff to a shine.
Good Luck!

Last edited by EmeraldLexuSC3; 12-21-02 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-22-02, 02:16 AM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

I just got a bottle for $6.88 from Walmart. Will try tomorrow!
Old 12-22-02, 03:09 AM
ataie
Driver School Candidate

I used the McGuirre to clean the outside of the headlights and the result was just awesome. It was so good that I went around and did all my other cars and even my neighbors car across the street.

Opening the headlight, cooking it in the oven, prying open etc looks to be to much trouble. If I could find someone who could do it for me for $50 I'd do it. I'm in Dallas, any vulenteers???

also, the low beam lights are a joke. I changed them with 80W xenon and now I can see in front of me. The high beam on the other hand is blinding and very nice.

Shon
Old 12-22-02, 02:09 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Exclamation Excess Wattage!

Originally posted by ataie
also, the low beam lights are a joke. I changed them with 80W xenon and now I can see in front of me. The high beam on the other hand is blinding and very nice.
I would caution using higher wattage bulbs than specified.
Using a 80w bulb is a 46% increase of the allowable wattage!!!
Your Low Beams are rated for a 55w bulb and the Highs are rated for a 65w. Using a higher wattage bulbs can serverly damage or melt your wiring and harness!
If you looking for more illumination, consider converting to HIDs.

And by the way...your welcome!

Last edited by EmeraldLexuSC3; 12-22-02 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Headlight condensation