SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What year Tokico Supra shocks do i need on my 1992 sc300

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-09, 08:25 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question What year Tokico Supra shocks do i need on my 1992 sc300

Damn guys i need help im droppin my car but dont know wha year supra tokico shocks i need Please help someone im an idiot this week
Old 08-31-09, 09:08 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

93-98...and this should be posted in the suspension section
Old 08-31-09, 09:15 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you looking to drop your car get a full coilover set up...

I see people doing these miss-matched lowering springs and shock setups and it drives me absolutely nuts....

Lets compare:

Set of coilovers, with duel height adjustment, camber adjustment AND dampening adjustment... 900$ (megans, or some other)

Megans:
http://www.raceinspired.com/ps-9990-...1991-2000.aspx

K-sport:
http://www.raceinspired.com/ps-15031...1991-2000.aspx

Or your set up...

Tokico shocks, No dampening adjustment... 400$ for 4
lowering springs x4 will be about 200-250$ for a decent set
so about 700$ give or take... THEN you will have to get an alignment because you cant adjust the camber... theres another 100$ and you still wont have ANY control for height, nor camber, NOR dampening, So you arn't getting ANY performance value for $800+ ?!?!?!

OR you can spend the extra $100 give or take... you can fine tune the height to your liking. Adjust the camber via camber plates for the perfect wheel fitment, And even adjust the dampening for a nice stiff ride to increase your overall weight transfer and handling...

So why would you Ever want a hybrid, cheap, and ultimately ineffective set up with the tokicos and lowering springs?!

Last edited by JDMmuscle; 08-31-09 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-31-09, 09:32 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle

I see people doing these miss-matched lowering springs and shock setups and it drives me absolutely nuts....

Lets compare:

Set of coilovers, with duel height adjustment, camber adjustment AND dampening adjustment... 900$ (megans, or some other)

Megans:

K-sport:

Or your set up...

so about 700$ give or take... THEN you will have to get an alignment because you cant adjust the camber... theres another 100$ and you still wont have ANY control for height, nor camber, NOR dampening, So you arn't getting ANY performance value for $800+ ?!?!?!

OR you can spend the extra $100 give or take... you can fine tune the height to your liking. Adjust the camber via camber plates for the perfect wheel fitment, And even adjust the dampening for a nice stiff ride to increase your overall weight transfer and handling...

So why would you Ever want a hybrid, cheap, and ultimately ineffective set up with the tokicos and lowering springs?!
this I do not agree with..with the exception of the tokicos..a spring and shock combination can be very effective if paired and matched correctly. The KYB AGX shocks are adjustable, and arent much more expensive than the Tokicos. And if the car isnt for track use, and is more a DD then there is nothing wrong with shock/springs for a more aggressive, yet comfortable ride. Just cause everyone else uses Tokicos, does not mean they are the only shocks you can use. Shop around a bit, look at the coilovers too depending on your plans with the car, until you find the right setup.

Shop around all the Supra forums, and clubna-t for a good deal if you want shocks and springs. I got my TT Supra KYB AGX shocks with Eibach Springs, all brand new for $150 shipped cause the guy sold his supra..took me 4 months to find the right deal, but I am more than happy.
Old 08-31-09, 10:15 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So if you find the right set up, you still will only have dampening adjustment....

what about camber?
When you lower your car it will change camber.

What if you are not satisfied with the Ride height? Or later, you want to go lower?
Your stuck at the preset height of the lowering springs.

Originally Posted by turbodremz
The KYB AGX shocks are adjustable, and arent much more expensive than the Tokicos.
Ok so your saying MORE money will be spent then I originally thought?
So now your right up there with coilovers

And if the car isnt for track use, and is more a DD then there is nothing wrong with shock/springs for a more aggressive, yet comfortable ride.
Honestly i 100% agree with this, BUT at the same time dude, with a coilover set up you can have the same thing, get the EDFC controller so you can control the ride quality from inside the car. You can have your cake, and eat it too.

Just cause everyone else uses Tokicos, does not mean they are the only shocks you can use. Shop around a bit, look at the coilovers too depending on your plans with the car, until you find the right setup.

Shop around all the Supra forums, and clubna-t for a good deal if you want shocks and springs. I got my TT Supra KYB AGX shocks with Eibach Springs, all brand new for $150 shipped cause the guy sold his supra..took me 4 months to find the right deal, but I am more than happy.

Again, think of what you will be doing with the car, I drift mine, but is also my daily. When i get to the track, or whenever im in the mood for carving some turns, I just turn up the dampening a bit. When its winter time, i throw my stock wheels back on, Raise the Ride height and its back to a slightly better then stock set up

The versatility is what im talking about. To me anyway, it just doesnt make sense to be locked into one set up when for a little more you could have all the flashy bells and whistles you would ever need.
Old 08-31-09, 10:33 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

good looks dudee
Old 08-31-09, 11:26 AM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle

Lets compare:

Megans:

K-sport:

Or your set up...

I agree with you 100% I wanted a specified drop and look and I also needed shocks so I chose Tein Basic Coils from 93+ Supra brand new for $680..Im not picky about stiffness or dampering so this was perfect for me
Old 08-31-09, 11:34 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To answer the OP's question, 93.5-98.

As far as the discussion in here goes, you can't really go wrong with coilovers vs. springs/shocks, but as far as adjustability goes, coilovers win hands down. I'm a shock/spring guy just because I'm on a budget and I just got a great deal on some Supra eibach springs with tokico illumina adjustable shocks. The problem with finding affordable coilovers, is that you have to get them used, and as soon as a used set is posted on here, people start offering an extra 20 bucks, then 50 then its almost up to retail again. Its redonkulous. lol