SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DIY : S2000 Antenna Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 05:23 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY : S2000 Antenna Conversion

Alright so i saw a thread saying to use zip ties and jb weld to insert the s2000 antenna on the sc Well their is a much more professional way to install it.

Its basically this with a slight twist. If you havent already, click that link and read that DIY.

Alright so the only difference between that guide for the camry and for us is that the camrys antenna hole is in almost the exact same position as the celicas. This means the antenna swaps directly onto the Camry. But for us we will need to reuse the grommet underneath the qt panel or else the celica antenna will point to sideways instead of up.

Also i am no sure if this is necessary or not but i trimmed the grommet above the qt so that the part of it below the qt was gone. I was experimenting different ways of mounting the antenna, so you may or may not need to do this.

Next if you get your antenna from the dealership it will have the mounting bracket. I on the other hand got mine from a junkyard so it was too much work to remove the stock bracket. As you can see i crimped my antenna and drilled a hole for a new bracket. YES it is important to use this bracket because it will hold the antenna in place preventing water from coming into the car during a wash. Plus i think the antenna is grounded to the chassis using that bracket.

And finally when you go to screw the top nut onto the celica antenna, you will notice its slightly difficult to get the nut and the antenna to line up. Just keep trying till you get it. Then screw the antenna so its about this much over the nut.

When you are all done it will look like this

P.S. I used a honda element antenna instead of an s2k antenna.

Last edited by Ryeno; 09-01-09 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Pics too large, click on them to enlarge
Old 09-01-09, 05:27 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Too big>>>please downsize
Old 09-01-09, 06:08 PM
lowkeySC
Pit Crew

how is the reception? is it just as clear as the stock fishing pole? or is the quality the same as no antenna
Old 09-01-09, 07:53 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lowkeySC
how is the reception? is it just as clear as the stock fishing pole? or is the quality the same as no antenna
i did the same thing on my gen 3 camry. when i sold my camry, i swapped it over to my SC400.

the reception isn't as good but its pretty clear.
Old 09-01-09, 09:51 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheKevin
i did the same thing on my gen 3 camry. when i sold my camry, i swapped it over to my SC400.

the reception isn't as good but its pretty clear.
an fm antenna needs to be 24 to 36 inchs for optimum reception, hence the 20ft pole thats built in to our trunks, am antenna i think was 12 inchs or less as it works with the chassis of the vehicle, or the ground of the vehicle, i had many types of ants on my car but eventually went with a powered internal antenna, when i find time and funds to repaint my car ill shave my ant as its useless to me now, but reception could be allot better, nice write up though, its a definite improvement over stock for sure
Old 09-04-09, 09:34 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default huh?

How is this a "definite" improvement over stock?

By everyone's own admission (read the other thread), the reception is not as good.

Plus, it no longer retracts. So no matter what, radio on or not, car on or not, you got 8" - 10" of black rubber sticking out of your rear, 24/7.
And you think that looks better than a retracted antenna?

And good luck using a car cover with that.

Ryeno is free to do as he wants, and I appreciate him sharing how it's done, and let's hope he lives close to his favorite station's transmitters, but there's nothing definite about calling it an improvement.
Old 09-04-09, 10:40 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA

By everyone's own admission (read the other thread), the reception is not as good.

Plus, it no longer retracts. So no matter what, radio on or not, car on or not, you got 8" - 10" of black rubber sticking out of your rear, 24/7.

Ryeno is free to do as he wants, and I appreciate him sharing how it's done, and let's hope he lives close to his favorite station's transmitters, but there's nothing definite about calling it an improvement.

Old 09-04-09, 10:50 PM
sdmob
Rookie

if I were to replace the antenna I'd go all the way and shave it and pick up one of these.
http://www.ecshylites.com/page/page/761353.htm
Old 09-04-09, 11:33 PM
Ryeno
Banned

The stock antenna will end up braking on you. This mod costs 30-60 dollars for parts depending on how you acquire them. The stock antennas costs far more. Plus the stock antenna will end up braking on you again, the s2k antenna will not.

I cant verify that, which is why i never replayed to how the radio reception is.

What i can say is the OEM SYSTEM is VERY good. Just the way lexus designed it is amazing. But once you have an aftermarket headunit then you get a noticeable loss of reception with EITHER oem antennas.

First or should i say second is the diversity antenna which is mounted in the rear window. Their are two problems with this antenna. First its a horizontal antenna but most radio stations broadcast a vertical signal = signal strength loss. Second since its mounted in the rear window glass the antanna's range is basically behind the car so if you are not facing away from the radio station, well the signal will be noticeably worse.

Second you have the pole antenna, This is better then the diversity antenna because its vertical and doesn't suffer from a signal drop when the car is pointed the wrong way. But to put in context the better then diversity antenna is VERY minor compared to the HUGE signal drop an aftermarket headunit gives you.

Now here is where it gets interesting. The pole antennas length is 35.5in v the s2k at 7in. Now the length isnt really the important part but the wavelength is. The stock pole antenna is basically a 1/3rd wavelength antenna and the s2k is a 1/16th wavelength antenna.

So what it all comes down to is 1/3rd wavelength better then 1/16th wavelength?

As of right now my sc300 doesnt work (upgrading the big 3) but once it does i will factual data on the reception between the 2 antennas.

YES. I installed it on my 1992 sc300 (97 conversion) which does NOT have a spoiler. So without that spoiler it looks like something is just missing in the rear. The s2k antenna helps that.

Coincidentally if you look at side profile between the sc and the s2k, you will notice both have a huge hoods with relatively small trunks. So the sc pulls off the antenna just as well as the s2k.

it takes less then 3 seconds to unscrew it.
it wont brake is pretty definite if you ask me. As for the reception like i said, i will compare it when i can.
Originally Posted by sdmob
if I were to replace the antenna I'd go all the way and shave it and pick up one of these.
http://www.ecshylites.com/page/page/761353.htm
incase you didnt figure it out from this post, their is no reason to get any of those antennas. If you do shave the antenna, just get a ford mini Motorola to standard Motorola adapter (available at any audio store) and use that to hook it up to your aftermarket headunit. OR if you have the oem hu, then you dont even need to do anything.

Last edited by Ryeno; 09-04-09 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-05-09, 12:51 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Default Get back to us if your reception is as good as stock

Sorry to disappoint you, Ryeno, but I'm not gonna get into an extended quote war with you. Suffice it to say that the purpose of the antenna is to enable good radio reception. If it doesn't do that, then nothing else matters.

A little correction to your cost estimates, there- be sure to factor in the cost of a signal amplifier, as mentioned in the very thread you recommended.

And for those unfortunate few that wish they had spoilers on their SCs -
Good News, Fellas! Just get a stubby antenna- they look just like spoilers!
Old 09-05-09, 02:32 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Sorry to disappoint you, Ryeno, but I'm not gonna get into an extended quote war with you. Suffice it to say that the purpose of the antenna is to enable good radio reception. If it doesn't do that, then nothing else matters.

A little correction to your cost estimates, there- be sure to factor in the cost of a signal amplifier, as mentioned in the very thread you recommended.

And for those unfortunate few that wish they had spoilers on their SCs -
Good News, Fellas! Just get a stubby antenna- they look just like spoilers!
First: this does improve reception when your oem fishing pole antenna is stuck.

Second: you dont need a signal booster since they just increase the signal thats ALREADY there.

Third : i never said this replaces a spoiler just that the no spoiler sc looks better with the s2k antenna.

dude if you don't know what you are talking about just get out of this thread, read up on it and come back when you are more educated. Otherwise i'll just have to keep destroying all your points like i am doing right now

Last edited by Ryeno; 09-05-09 at 02:58 AM.
Old 09-05-09, 08:34 AM
That-Guy
Pole Position

if people want to do this modification... then go ahead.. ryeno has just provided useful information for those who have chosen to proceed with it. Whether or not its better than oem is a useless debate when the point of this thread is to help those that have decided to do the s2k antenna.
Old 09-05-09, 08:41 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^ amen brother...Ryeno good write up
Old 09-05-09, 09:10 AM
mam
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what a great looking antenna

everyone should do this
Old 09-05-09, 01:20 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Yeah? Everyone should listen to static?

Notice that no one, on this thread, or the other one has yet to post that this antenna works as good as stock.
All comments so far say it does not.
That was my original point, and remains so.

Go ahead and quote me and question my education all you want, Reyno.
At least I stopped spelling "break" as "brake" when I was 7 years old:

Originally Posted by Ryeno
The stock antenna will end up braking on you....
.....Plus the stock antenna will end up braking on you again.......
....it wont brake is pretty definite if you ask me.....

Quick Reply: DIY : S2000 Antenna Conversion