SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

When is it okay to have a Soarer badge?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 11:47 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno
i'm sorry the 1jz just sucks. I think onejay said hes making 280hp on his 1jz-gte which is exactly what its rated as and he even has some bpu upgrades like exhaust.
Ya the 1jz does suck some pretty big *****. I haven't dynoed it with the new upgrades, but with just exhaust it made 257 to the wheels. Even with your supposed theory of like 12% drivetrain loss thats like 285 to the crank. (Realistically drivetrain loss in our cars is more like 20%)
Manufacturers rate their cars' hp to the crank, not to the wheels.
Old 09-10-09, 12:02 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by megamarine
Lol, my car is the catalyst. That's the best part. It gets you to be upset.
i'm not upset at all because i am not driving that car, lol

@OneJay you are preaching to the choir here.

If you assume toyota rates all their cars equal a bone stock 1uz vvti is better then a 1jz bone stock. Not to mention the powerband on the 1uz will be better thanks to the vvt-i. Maybe a 1uz-fe vvt-i is more fair to compare to a 1jz vvt-i but the 1uz-fe vvti would be better. So bone stock the best sc would better then the best bone stock soarer.

And as for the 1jz sucking, well thats because all the money you spend on the 1jz engine/swap could have been spent on a single turbo. And considering the 1jz has less displacement a singled 2jz > singled 1jz (and worse flowing heads if i remember correctly) an na-t setup is a FAR better option then 1jz swapping.

Edit: I'm not trying to hurt your feelings here but i do think you made a mistake. I have talked to 2 people who have done 1jz swaps, sold the car and both went na-t the next time. Honestly i still dont know if i will go 2jz-gte or na-t but i know i wont go 1jz. Even 2jz guys get a 3.4k stroker kit which costs thousands of dollars and the price difference between a 1jz and 2jz gte which is .1l more then the stroker kit is like 1/10th of the cost of a stroker kit. So just having a 2jz instead of a 1jz is the best bang for your buck upgrade. I just dont see any reason in going 1jz period. thats why i said it sucks.

Last edited by Ryeno; 09-10-09 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-10-09, 12:11 AM
vinh
Lexus Champion

it's only ok to rock the soarer badge if you mount in on your steering wheel right over the airbag
Old 09-10-09, 12:13 AM
megamarine
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hehehe, I'm sure. Oh, I'm sure. Cause the 495 HP I have in my garage that's made for drift, say's otherwise.
Old 09-10-09, 12:21 AM
darkadious
Driver School Candidate

the only acceptable badge to swap on your car is the gryphon / griffin whatever anyone wants to call it

everything else is completely lame.
Old 09-10-09, 12:39 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

@OneJay you are preaching to the choir here.

If you assume toyota rates all their cars equal a bone stock 1uz vvti is better then a 1jz bone stock. Not to mention the powerband on the 1uz will be better thanks to the vvt-i. Maybe a 1uz-fe vvt-i is more fair to compare to a 1jz vvt-i but the 1uz-fe vvti would be better. So bone stock the best sc would better then the best bone stock soarer.

And as for the 1jz sucking, well thats because all the money you spend on the 1jz engine/swap could have been spent on a single turbo. And considering the 1jz has less displacement a singled 2jz > singled 1jz (and worse flowing heads if i remember correctly) an na-t setup is a FAR better option then 1jz swapping.

Edit: I'm not trying to hurt your feelings here but i do think you made a mistake. I have talked to 2 people who have done 1jz swaps, sold the car and both went na-t the next time. Honestly i still dont know if i will go 2jz-gte or na-t but i know i wont go 1jz. Even 2jz guys get a 3.4k stroker kit which costs thousands of dollars and the price difference between a 1jz and 2jz gte which is .1l more then the stroker kit is like 1/10th of the cost of a stroker kit. So just having a 2jz instead of a 1jz is the best bang for your buck upgrade. I just dont see any reason in going 1jz period. thats why i said it sucks.
The main reason I didn't go NA-T was because I want factory reliability for the time being. I'm not looking to make huge power, so the 1jz suits my needs just fine.

Also, I happen to think the 1uz vvti is a great engine, and it does have a fantastic powerband. I was actually thinking about picking one up after I graduate college and have more money to throw around. For now though, I think I'll stick to my sh1tmobile. Thanks.
Old 09-10-09, 12:44 AM
darkling
Rookie

Default badge

wow this is way out of control . the more i read on in the tread the more p.o'ed i got . ryeno get off mega i know more about cars then you will ever know so you might wanna just put that back in your hat .
A sc body and a soared body are the same damn thing if i choose to have soarer that is my choice doesn't make me a poser currently i have no badgeing .

I happen to like the style of a non stock looking sc/soarer and i choose to take off all badgeing because i an not a lexus "type" won't catch me playing golf or sipping a martini or even drinking a coors light .

so the answer the to posted question is:

WHEN THE HELL YOU FEEL LIKE IT

if you like the badge sport it who gives a damn what johnney joker on the forum says or in person you build a custom car or you not them .

o and btw mega i painted mine this weekend not gonna post pics gonna wait til someone see's it and starts talking s''' so i might be the next target
Old 09-10-09, 12:54 AM
92blacktt
Intermediate

its ok to have a soarer badge when you have a soarer...that is all
Old 09-10-09, 12:58 AM
darkling
Rookie

Default badge

hehe thats cause you can get one for us it's like pullin teeth to get one in the u.s.
Old 09-10-09, 12:59 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by darkling
wow this is way out of control . the more i read on in the tread the more p.o'ed i got . ryeno get off mega i know more about cars then you will ever know so you might wanna just put that back in your hat .
A sc body and a soared body are the same damn thing if i choose to have soarer that is my choice doesn't make me a poser currently i have no badgeing .

I happen to like the style of a non stock looking sc/soarer and i choose to take off all badgeing because i an not a lexus "type" won't catch me playing golf or sipping a martini or even drinking a coors light .

so the answer the to posted question is:

WHEN THE HELL YOU FEEL LIKE IT

if you like the badge sport it who gives a damn what johnney joker on the forum says or in person you build a custom car or you not them .

o and btw mega i painted mine this weekend not gonna post pics gonna wait til someone see's it and starts talking s''' so i might be the next target
47 posts and bashing members....way to start off..before you start criticizing seasoned members here, you need to understand why all of us are getting on mega's case...and stating that you know more about a car than someone else is a sign of ignorance...you DONT know what they know..you may know something he does not, and he may know something you dont..hell I may know a few things neither one of you know, but Ryeno is an excellent source of information here on CL, and has helped me with a few questions and I will defend his knowledge.

but, we are not bashing him personally, we are trying to explain to him that he is taking a nice car in the wrong direction...seems all these newbs recently cant take constructive criticism and apply it to their choices..

we are only trying to keep the SC from turning into a glorified honda..such as slapping on false badges, and ebay specials and other AutoZone/Pepboys blue bulb economy "racing" parts.
Old 09-10-09, 01:21 AM
darkling
Rookie

Default badge

I have over 20 years in the automotive field you bet i have the right to bash members who think they are right to criticize others tastes .
47 posts here so what. Look at mr2oc look at rx7 club shall i keep goin . and if you read i was challenging ryeno statement to mega .
Why should you care what someone elses car looks like if it looks like *** don't look at it forums are for advice and a common like of a car or lifestyle not a place to pass judgement .
it's ok to express that you don't like it but bashing over and over is totally out of control and as for stereotyping with the chain steering wheel comment that is total b.s
Old 09-10-09, 01:25 AM
92blacktt
Intermediate

^^ onejay: you could just get a 2jz block and use it with the 1jz head, will save you some money as well!
Old 09-10-09, 02:34 AM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

The right time is whenever you feel like it and ignore what others say, its your car.
Old 09-10-09, 04:37 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by 92blacktt
^^ onejay: you could just get a 2jz block and use it with the 1jz head, will save you some money as well!
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99476
the guy admits that the 1jz data isnt 100 percent accurate but it is based off data that is.
Originally Posted by OneJay
The main reason I didn't go NA-T was because I want factory reliability for the time being. I'm not looking to make huge power, so the 1jz suits my needs just fine.
to play devils advocate here, if you want reliability then turbo charging your car is the worst thing to do

And for the time being, you had to know before you even got the 1jz it wasnt going to satisfy your power goals. So you spent a lot of money on an engine you dont even like which is why you are upgrading it. But the 2jz you had is perfectly capible of the power you want. And just like the rest of us w58 guys, its our transmission not the engine that really limits us. And since you are still using your w58, well thats your weakest link. Then when/if you do upgrade your engine well it will never outperform your old 2jz if you upgraded that. Personally i think the tuning of a na-t kit outweighs the .5l of displacement loss, worse flowing heads and, cop ignition of the 1jz-gte. Not to mention their are guides on how to make your na run like a tt.(distributor delete)

Originally Posted by OneJay
Also, I happen to think the 1uz vvti is a great engine, and it does have a fantastic powerband. I was actually thinking about picking one up after I graduate college and have more money to throw around. For now though, I think I'll stick to my sh1tmobile. Thanks.
I wouldnt. I mean its cool and all and sure is faster then a lot of cars but its still not fast. I raced a camero v6 and it just barly beat me. Sure its rated at 305 and i am rated at 290 and with an exhaust i would have won but more boost on a 2jz > 1uz vvt-i.

Last edited by Ryeno; 09-10-09 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-10-09, 04:50 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i'm sorry the 1jz just sucks. I think onejay said hes making 280hp on his 1jz-gte which is exactly what its rated as and he even has some bpu upgrades like exhaust. Not to mention everyone who does do a 1jz swap and sells that car ALWAYS goes na-t the second time.

I bet you the pinnacle of bone stock scs a 98+ vvt-i model will beat a bone stock 1jz-gte soarer.

@megamarine dude you got no right to talk. You took a perfectly good 97+ sc and riced it out.
You said the 1jz sucked? Do you know how many people or making 300 whp?
I think you need to do more research lol about the 1jz.

I have a 1jz in my SC and it's quicker than any VVti SC/GS3 do you know why because i tried it.

Quick Reply: When is it okay to have a Soarer badge?