SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

10k or 8k HID's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-09, 12:50 AM
LAVIsH
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4300 or 5000 anything above would be stupid especially if its raining you will barely see whats in front of you
Old 09-17-09, 01:01 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

I have 5000k because thats the closest the company i got them from had to 4300k at the time and they look like OEM HID's. Im also running 3000k in the fogs. Anything over 6000k should be left to the ricers.
Old 09-17-09, 07:19 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

get 6k much brighter and visibilty is beautiful
Old 09-17-09, 10:19 AM
7sins
Driver

I don't think blue or purple hues are ricer. I'm not saying this because I have real deep blue lights. I also have to disagree with the higer k lights being less bright. I know numbers don't lie and all that stuff, but I've been in someone elses car with my car following behind and my lights are stupid bright and they are 20k. I'd say almost 2x brighter than my high beams that are still stock. I'm not arguing with anyone about whose lights are brighter, I'm just saying mine are super bright. I would never buy them again because they do attract alot of the wrong attention. I've gotten a ticket or two because of them. I will be going to 12k real soon!! High end bmw's have a purple hue, Lambos have a purple hue, ferarri has a purple hue. If a purple hue or a blue hue light comes on such high end cars and trucks why is it ricer? I think white light is boring it looks stock. If you have trouble seeing at nite get 4300k or 6k if you wanna stand out a little bit go 10k or higher. This is just my opinion, and I'm not trying to offend or **** anyone off so keep that in mind as you read my post.
Old 09-17-09, 10:25 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7sins
I don't think blue or purple hues are ricer. I'm not saying this because I have real deep blue lights. I also have to disagree with the higer k lights being less bright. I know numbers don't lie and all that stuff, but I've been in someone elses car with my car following behind and my lights are stupid bright and they are 20k. I'd say almost 2x brighter than my high beams that are still stock. I'm not arguing with anyone about whose lights are brighter, I'm just saying mine are super bright. I would never buy them again because they do attract alot of the wrong attention. I've gotten a ticket or two because of them. I will be going to 12k real soon!! High end bmw's have a purple hue, Lambos have a purple hue, ferarri has a purple hue. If a purple hue or a blue hue light comes on such high end cars and trucks why is it ricer? I think white light is boring it looks stock. If you have trouble seeing at nite get 4300k or 6k if you wanna stand out a little bit go 10k or higher. This is just my opinion, and I'm not trying to offend or **** anyone off so keep that in mind as you read my post.
^ That's exactly why I run 50,000k in my SC.
Old 09-17-09, 11:22 AM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6000k... Blue is a Ricer's favorite color.
Old 09-17-09, 12:00 PM
PecosBill
Lexus Test Driver

ive got 6K in mine and its good light output with a tiny hint of blue hue.
Old 09-17-09, 12:31 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

fair enough...but that purple or blue hue is not the result of the light itself, but rather from the cutoff produced by the projectors
Old 09-17-09, 02:10 PM
1jztts
Driver

You realize all the cars you listed come stock with 4300k right?
And the purple hue is the result of the cutoff. Educate yourself before you make ridiculous comments like this.
Old 09-17-09, 02:28 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

10k is a waste of money - go with 8 if you must but i recommed 6
Old 09-17-09, 02:31 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

To each their own...

For light output I would suggest going with 4300k.

If you want the best of both worlds (looks and functionality) I would not go with anything above 6500k.

The SC has factory low beam projectors so you will get nice color out of a 4300k kit as well...

Steve
Old 09-20-09, 07:09 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Okay there seems to be a general consensus heavily favoring 6K...I had just recently installed a pair of 6K HID's...So now, I'm gonna have to agree with everyone about going with 6K.

P.S I did an extremely well job of concealing both of the ballast, would anyone like to see pics of where I hid them?
Old 09-20-09, 07:13 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

yes please ^
Old 09-20-09, 07:20 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Before I post pics, I'll tell you guys where I concealed them...One is underneath the air scoop by the factory air box and the other is directly underneath the battery tray...I used a combination of 3M double sided tape and black zip ties and they definitely work very well. BTW, removal of the headlights will be necessary.
Old 09-20-09, 07:48 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

As you can see from these pics...6K HID's are on, But the ballasts are nowhere to be seen...

This is how (and where) I concealed 'em...

1) underneath the air box scoop,using double sided tape and black zip ties...

2) Underneath the edge of the battery tray...

Final results...

P.S The brand I have are the Onex brand (Made in Japan too) and are brand spanking new as of being manufactured as recently as August of '09.

Hope these pics help!

Quick Reply: 10k or 8k HID's?